Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2009, 21:13   #1

Boat: Spencer 35
Rolly Tasker Sails

Anyone here have any experience with sails From Rolly Tasker in Thailand???

A couple of questions in this regard.
1) Is there a signifigant cost savings in waiting until I get to Thailand to buy sails from RT sails.
2)Are the sails of good quality - ie: cut, construction and cloth - I would be looking for very best quality Dacron rather than an exotic
3)how long from ordering to delivery??
4)Custom work on sails - do they do this, or are the numbers 'plugged in' to the system and you get what they make for you???

All opinions gratefully recieved.

Thanks
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 00:02   #2

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
i've bought a cruising chute, working jib, trysail and storm jib from them (thru their u.s. agent - national sails). i got what i ordered, on time, and the quality seems very good.
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 09:55   #3

Boat: Boatless
I too had a good experience with National Sails & Rolly Tasker, the main, a very heavy cruising one, is the best built sail I have ever owned and the price was excellent. My cruising chute, 2000 sq ft was a bargain too.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 09:58   #4

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
Bought a main from them last year and will be buying a new headsail later this year.
Great quality and the fit is fantastic. Good price too.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 10:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
I'm on

I'm on my ninth sail from National Sail Supply / Rolly Tasker. AMAZING quality, fit and finish and I have never had a bad one.

Dirk used to be Rolly's GM in Phuket. IMHO and actual experience he is the only dealer in the US you should consider buying from. He knows all the ins & outs, his delivery lead times are excellent, and you get more "standard" features from Dirk than any other US Tasker dealer.

As for custom they will do what ever you want and yes you can save a few bucks by ordering them when you get to Phuket but it's not as much as you'd think. Why sail all the way to Thailand with blown out sails...?

Excellent fit and finish..
Old 19-09-2009, 16:27   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by haulback View Post
1) Is there a signifigant cost savings in waiting until I get to Thailand to buy sails from RT sails.
We are heading there so I can tell you soonish. But I hear you only save freight. But that is a substantial amount as they are bulky and heavy so freight is a hefty component.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2009, 18:52   #7

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
I too ordered my Rolly Taskar sails from Dirk at National Sail Supply. I agree completely with Maine Sails description of the service from Dirk, and the quality of the sails.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 08:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

There are several other US dealers.
Rolly Tasker produces to very set standards. Dirk cannot provide additional "standard features", however any dealer/loft can order a sail with options offered by Rolly Tasker.
Some lofts use their own designers and have Tasker build to those sail designs. Others rely on the "in-house" designer at Rolly Tasker.
Rolly Tasker has one of the largest and most modern lofts in the world. I have spent time there on several occasions in the past 5 years. There are advantages and disadvantages to all production lofts. We use three different lofts since no one loft is the right solution for every customer. I am happy to discuss pros and cons of these lofts privately.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 09:16   #9

When I first saw this thread, I though "where have I heard that name".

When I was a kid I used to closely follow his old maxi Siska in the Sydney to Hobart race.

Nice to reminisce
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 16:27   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
his old maxi Siska in the Sydney to Hobart race.

Nice to reminisce
You can continue to remiinisce.... Siska is doing the tourist trade in the Whitsundays.

ll the old 70's and 80's Hobart boats are.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 22:04   #11

Boat: William Garden Ketch
Our previous sails were Rolly Tasker Thailand. I liked all but the head sail it just had a funny shape that I have seen on other RT headsails. We got new masts a few years back and they were built by Rolly Tasker Perth (Now just known as Tasker as Rolly has sold out) they were taller than the old so required new sails so we got RT Perth to make a set of them as well. The new ones are the best sails I have ever had.

Cheers

Mark
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 23:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You can continue to remiinisce.... Siska is doing the tourist trade in the Whitsundays.

ll the old 70's and 80's Hobart boats are.
I was up there 4 years ago (feels like I have seen more of Aus travelling from Sweden ) and sailed on Ragamuffin. I vaguely recall that I may have seen Siska there.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 20:24   #13

Boat: Simpson Cloud Nine
Until about a year ago I would have fully agreed with what is said here about Rolly Tasker Thailand.

However, in the past year I was talking to several people in marinas and anchorages here in Malaysia (less than 150 miles from the company location, so a lot of customers from this aera) that were between disappointed and extremely unhappy with the products or services.

True, I have no firsthand experience, but the sheer number of unhappy customers can hardly be coincidence.

But the new loft certainly looks very impressive, huge in size and on 2 floors. Very nice and spacious working environment.
viajaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2009, 22:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We are heading there so I can tell you soonish. But I hear you only save freight. But that is a substantial amount as they are bulky and heavy so freight is a hefty component.
Yes freight to your home is included in the cost of the sail which is not the case with OZ made sails. For a full wardrobe only their Yankee was considerably cheaper than sails made in OZ. Their bronze hanks are poor quality and their sail bag, well made, is only a shipping bag (very small). I am happy with the Yankee and will consider them again, the only draw back you have is that there is no dialog with the sail maker. My next move will be the real Tasker in Perth just to see if he can still make real cruising sails like he used to do forty years ago.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 06:35   #15
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i wish i could support the local sailmakers but the price is double what dirk charges at national sails (rolly tasker). i am going to order an RF working jib later this year .. hope all goes well.