Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 00:24   #16
Marine Service Provider

OK so I'm not in the majority, that's OK.

Rate Gyros, Oh yeah they are great for sure but they aren't that new. I would definitely have one of those next trip.

And I do tend to agree about going hydraulic.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 00:43   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Rate Gyros, Oh yeah they are great for sure but they aren't that new. I would definitely have one of those next trip.
And I do tend to agree about going hydraulic.
Totally Agree

I also agree with an earlier thread - long distance reliance on an autopilot means that reliability is first concern. Just like with an anchor, go at least one size up on the recommend for your boat!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:23   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'
Why couldn't you use a rate gyro for a helicopter, I see them on ebay for about $25.
Old 05-07-2009, 15:03   #19

Boat: Feeling 44 46ft SULI
Autopilots

Our yacht is a Feeling 44. We fitted the Raymarine M81132...deliberately the long shaft version for more torque. The beast also has rate gyro. It all works now, and I am very pleased with it. The oroblem was the original installation, done by a Raymarine agent chosen by the yacht's manufacturers. They did a very bad job, so much so that the linear drive fell off in big winds - scary! But that was a lousy installation. We got it re-done in the UK and it is fine. Reliability, is it big enough for your boat, what is its current draw and is it integrated with GPS and chartplotter seem to me to be the big issues. Ours ticks all 4 boxes for us.
yachtsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 18:03   #20

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
I have to agree with those that say forget wheel pilots....

ONLY way to go is below decks hydraulic...and one size larger than the maker recommends.

I have an ST5000 without a rate gyro and it has worked fine for 10 years.

Only problem it has...not really a problem and could be improved with a rate gyro ... is downwind in heavy sea...even with the seastate control on max, it has difficulty keeping the boat straight. However, all pilots have this problem to a degree as they cannot anticipate, only react to changes...and if they don't act fast enough it could be too late.

I also have a Fleming windvane which I use most of the time when sailing as it uses no power, and when the boat is balanced, it performs faultlessly.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 18:43   #21

Boat: Mesqua Ukee, Buccaneer 40 (Salar 40)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
I have to agree with those that say forget wheel pilots....

I have an ST5000 without a rate gyro and it has worked fine for 10 years.

Only problem it has...is downwind in heavy sea...even with the seastate control on max, it has difficulty keeping the boat straight. However, all pilots have this problem to a degree as they cannot anticipate, only react to changes...and if they don't act fast enough it could be too late.
To keep the boat straight when going downwind in heavy seas pay out a 300 foot or so ¾” warp off of one side of the stern. It works better if you clip onto the end of it an old tire or an old storm jib or the like. You want the end with the “junk” on it either one or two waves behind you to maintain a constant strain. This has to do with the motion in a wave.

All the yawing will stop along with any danger of broaching.

The autopilot will barely have to do any more work. No wear and tear means longer life.
It will reduce your speed a bit but you can always put on a little more headsail if you like the speed.
mesquaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 20:15   #22

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Have you had a look at Coursemaster autopilots? We have used one for years and found it rugged and reliable (no personal connection). Regards, Richard
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 20:59   #23

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Does anyone have experience with a CPT Autopilot Inc. ?
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, reliability