Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2012, 09:45   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Rescue Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Can I attach my guns to a Mason anchor with rescue tape while single handling and navigating with my iPhone...on a Hunter?
Won't work on a Hunter, but it will on a catamaran!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 07:04   #17

Boat: 40ft fibreglass sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I was kinda thinking they were the same thing under a different name, hence my previous question. So now I'm confused again. Is there a difference? Is Rescue Tape a brand name and not a slang term? I have been using self amalgamating tape under various brand names and haven't noticed any significant differences. Of course I haven't tried to make an emergency fan belt yet.
Skipmac, I believe Rescue tape is one brand of silicone self-fusing tape. There are others. I have two such tapes - one by 3M (Scotch 70) and one called "Marine Wrap" by Duck; both silicone.
These tapes are different to the typically black rubber self-fusing tapes. My Nitto black rubber tape is quite a bit thinner than both the above silicone tapes.
Marqus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 08:12   #18

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler

I used some for whipping a couple of docklines, cut it about 1" wide and made a couple of wraps stretching it tight, been on for about a year now and seems good
I didn't know it came in colors, maybe use different colors to indicate the legth of the line?
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 09:08   #19

I seldom have a use for it, but on those occasions that I have it's worked wonderfully. A great product to have on hand.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 13:01   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I heard Rescue tape can be used to make a life raft...oh wait...that's Duct tape.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 05:32   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqus View Post
Skipmac, I believe Rescue tape is one brand of silicone self-fusing tape. There are others. I have two such tapes - one by 3M (Scotch 70) and one called "Marine Wrap" by Duck; both silicone.
These tapes are different to the typically black rubber self-fusing tapes. My Nitto black rubber tape is quite a bit thinner than both the above silicone tapes.
So there are two very different types, a silicone based tape and a rubber based. Any recommendations on benefits of one over the other, maybe on type better for some applications, the other type for other applications? One type or the other with better longevity or strength?

I have had thinner and thicker rolls before and prefer the thinner for wrapping wires, less bulky. Assume that was a rubber type.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 05:48   #22

Boat: Tartan 30

The silicone based tape will be resistant to heat. It's so good you can use it to stop an exhaust leak. Or even wrap your entire exhaust in it to cut down on heat...

I've bought the originial rescue tape on ebay for pretty good prices, and I've had atleast 3 other generic brands from various stores. Except for one, they are all virtually identical to the rescue-tape brand. The one that's not is not even remotely close to the quality of the others. It has little stretch and tears easily. I can't remember what brand it was but I think I got it at harbor freight.

Note: it doesn't stick to itself when its wet.
Old 15-06-2012, 06:10   #23

Boat: Seawind 1000 sailing cat
It's good stuff. I made a temporary repair to a split radiator hose and it was fine.
Tan Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 06:20   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the original rescue tape will make a lower radiator hose blow out not a bad thing, even for a 300 zx turbo. great stuff.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 13:32   #25
McQ

Love the stuff!! Have used it to repair minor surface damage to a hot water hose, whip the ends of dock lines, in place of shrink tubing on electrical connects, in place of grommets for hoses through bulkheads, etc. Great product!!!
McQ is offline   Reply With Quote