Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 06:27   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Recommendations for a Good Spot Light ?

We previously had a corded 12v spot light, but I accidentally ripped the short cord out. The 12v plug was by the helm seat and so I was using the light while steering the boat, and I tried to extend the light up high enough to see in front of the bow and accidentally ripped the cord out from it.

After discussing whether to install 12v plugs at the bow so that the light could be used from there or go with a cordless variety, we decided to try a cordless light. We figured that we could then use it from anywhere on the boat. We found a cordless Black & Decker that was rechargeable on 12v or 120v. It worked great the first couple of times, but then we discovered that it self discharges too fast. After sitting for maybe a week or two, the light is dead and needs fully charged for at least 8 hours and appears to die fast.

I’d like to find a great cordless light that doesn’t discharge quickly or a good corded variety that has a cord longer than the standard 3 or 4 feet.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 11:15   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
We have a remote control primary spotlight on the yop of the main mast..
Our corded spot, I replaced the coiled cord with a 20' coiled cord so I can spot behind or straight down
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 11:44   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i found a 16 dollar cordless spotlight from ace hardware worked just fine for cruising in gulf-- portable and cheap and i only broke one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote