Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2018, 20:39   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Recent Customer Service Experiences.

During the last week we have been trying to get out boat untied from the dock to head south to warmer waters, and as usual, it's also been a bit of a challenge. If it could go wrong, it did.
But this is not about the solutions.
First. when we tried to raise our new mainsail the sail slides were incorrect, they would not fit the mast track. All it took a a quick call to Terry at Annapolis Boat service to find a solution to our problem. He suggested finding a local sail loft to do the change and he would foot the bill. I called several lofts and found Quantum Sails Newport to be extremely responsive, Ike Bowen (service/production Manager) picked up the sail that day and had it back to us the following day, thats excellent customer service in any business. He was able to shift his workload at the loft to accomidate our last minute fix while also keeping his current workload on schedule. So, thanks to Ike at Quantum Newport and Terry at Annapolis Boat Service for the excellent effort and product support.
The next big issue was the new chartplotter chart chips I ordered from C-Map through Defender Marine, I ordered the New England to Bahamas Chip, and the Central america and Caribbean chip, they sent me the chips direct from C-Map. Although they were labeled individually the chips were burnt to the same chart set, the Central America/Caribbean, which didn't help me in New England. This was yesterday, the day before Thanksgiving, when I called the office in Massachusetts, the only person there was the sales rep, Brandy Powers, and she was just on her way out, all the other personnel had left for the four day weekend. Since we were looking to leave Friday on a favorable weather window (by New England Standards) we could not wait until Monday. Brandy Powers, the sales rep went into the office on Thanksgiving morning to pick up replacement chips and then drove to meet my wife halfway and deliver the chips. Although she had a holiday meal to cook for her family she made sure we were taken care of and on our way. That's service over and above.
Often we buy based only on price, but when buying items that are expensive and important parts to our sailing needs, dependable customer support and businesses that stand behind their reputation can often make the difference between a pleasant stroll through the park or a miserable slog through the muck.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 20:51   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Recent Customer Service Experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
During the last week we have been trying to get out boat untied from the dock to head south to warmer waters, and as usual, it's also been a bit of a challenge. If it could go wrong, it did.
First. when we tried to raise our new mainsail the sail slides were incorrect, they would not fit the mast track. All it took a a quick call to Terry at Annapolis Boat service to find a solution to our problem. He suggested finding a local sail loft to do the change and he would foot the bill. I called several lofts and found Quantum Sails Newport to be extremely responsive, Ike Bowen (service/production Manager) picked up the sail that day and had it back to us the following day, thats excellent customer service in any business. He was able to shift his workload at the loft to accomidate our last minute fix while also keeping his current workload on schedule. So, thanks to Ike at Quantum Newport and Terry at Annapolis Boat Service for the excellent effort and product support.
The next big issue was the new chartplotter chart chips I ordered from C-Map through Defender Marine, I ordered the New England to Bahamas Chip, and the Central america and Caribbean chip, they sent me the chips direct from C-Map. Although they were labeled individually the chips were burnt to the same chart set, the Central America/Caribbean, which didn't help me in New England. This was yesterday, the day before Thanksgiving, when I called the office in Massachusetts, the only person there was the sales rep, Brandy Powers, and she was just on her way out, all the other personnel had left for the four day weekend. Since we were looking to leave Friday on a favorable weather window (by New England Standards) we could not wait until Monday. Brandy Powers, the sales rep went into the office on Thanksgiving morning to pick up replacement chips and then drove to meet my wife halfway and deliver the chips. Although she had a holiday meal to cook for her family she made sure we were taken care of and on our way. That's service over and above.
Often we buy based only on price, but when buying items that are expensive and important parts to our sailing needs, dependable customer support and businesses that stand behind their reputation can often make the difference between a pleasant stroll through the park or a miserable slog through the muck.
Thank's for posting, so many only offer the negative and take the positive for granted.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 05:05   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Increasingly rare, and in many cases, worth paying a higher purchase price.

Maine Sail / CMS is well worth supporting for all his community service

https://shop.marinehowto.com/products

He can get most things, just email at ​"Rod Collins"<compassmarineservices@gmail.com> and put CONSULT in the subject for quicker attention. (Do **not** use this for info-only requests)

________
Also Alan Ferber @ Bay Marine Supply, San Diego, CA 619-320-5899 , sales@baymarinesupply.com

is both very helpful and value conscious.

Sells on eBay and Amazon, but best to deal direct

https://baymarinesupply.com/
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 05:26   #4

Boat: Valiant 40

Terry is awesome. I know more than a few folks that he has helped with either top notch work or by pointing them in the right direction.
Old 23-11-2018, 11:42   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I is nice to see someone post a positive. Everyone with a minor bitch will post it, few with positives will take the time. Thank you.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 11:55   #6

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Everyone at sometime makes mistakes. It's how you fix them that counts.
Old 23-11-2018, 15:29   #7

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Who said.....
"Ya gets what ya pays for"?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 07:28   #8

Boat: Freedom 30

Another thanks for the positive posting. I agree that mistakes are made and all I want is for a company to stand behind their products or service if there is a problem.
I would also give a shout out to defender who I have found will do the right thing when there is an issue.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 18:40   #9

Boat: Norseman 447

You may not get what you pay for, but you’re unlikely to get what you don’t pay for. When somebody sells at the lowest price, there’s a reason.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:01   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

In the spirit of recognition, a customer of mine bought an Icom 802 HF/SSB from Defender and we had a problem. Defender really dropped the ball helping us get it resolved. Icom on the other hand really stepped up to the plate. I got one email that had the approval trail necessary to get my customer off the dock and the sheer number of people involved in the resolution makes Icom's fast and nimble support all the more impressive. Thank you Icom.

Also great service from Cobb's Marina in Little Creek VA. Whatever I have needed they have worked to provide. Usually I'm in and out for fuel and water but when I've had more substantive needs they've been there for me.

Similarly Portside Marina in Morehead City NC is consistently great. Owner Dr. Denard Harris met me on the dock on Thanksgiving Day when we limped in from offshore to take lines (I had told him we were fine and would see him next business day). There he was anyway, with a big smile on his face. He'd made us reservations at a local restaurant that served Thanksgiving dinner and drove us there.

Yacht Management Group in Dania Beach FL led by owner Craig Succo has provided great service on a number of occasions. Some really creative and effective solutions to intractible problems.

Bert Jabins Yacht Yard in Annapolis MD has been very accommodating despite some interesting challenges.

Mid Atlantic Yacht Services in Horta Azores owned by American expat Duncan Sweet seems to have a Tardis or something as he can make needed parts and supplies appear from nowhere.

I've had good experience with Quantum Sails over and over. The Annapolis shop, the Hamble shop, and corporate in particular have never failed to exceed expectations.

Gary Jensen at Dockside Radio in Punta Gorda FL never fails to come through with good advice, good customer service, and rapid shipping.

I've had good customer service experiences from a number of companies. Those above stand out. I have found that the key to receiving good customer service is being a good customer.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:37   #11

I've always had great service from Defender.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:40   #12

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I've always had great service from Defender.
Direct quote: "We can't help you. You'll have to call Icom." I called twice and got the same answer from two different CSRs.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:43   #13

Ok. Well I'm very sorry to hear that.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:12   #14

Jay Nelson at Nautical Ventures in West Palm Beach Florida is awesome. We bought a new Highfield dinghy in sale last spring and they stored it for us until a couple of weeks ago. The whole crew at Nautical Ventures have been a pleasure to work with. Jay even found someone to make chaps for our new dinghy.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:17   #15

Also, Kevin Sidman at Sidman Canvas Design in West Palm Beach did a great job at a very reasonable price on our dinghy chaps. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	202826
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, service