Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 13:55   #1

Boat: Catalina 270LE
Raymarine i70 and p70

Has anybody upgraded to the 70 series displays with the ITC-5 (E70010) converter on the analog inputs? If you have, did you notice any differences, more/less data, or different data?

I'm interesting in hearing from somebody actually using this method of conversions to Seatalkng. I've read the manuals and tech docs, and as usual, it's not what's said, it's what's NOT said that matters.

Cheers
Gary
Meriachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 13:11   #2

Boat: Tartan 3500
Re: Raymarine i70 and p70

I added an i70 instrument this spring. Initially I connected it to the existing SeaTalk(1) bus by using ST to STng adapter cable. All the existing ST(1) data, from the ST60 system, was available for display. But to get it to "see" and work with both ST and STng data I had to also add the ST to STng converter module (which is a "bridging" product.) this comes with an ST to STng adapter cable (so now I have 2!). If you read the manuals carefully it says that the i70 is not a "bridging" product which I now realize means it cannot be connected to both a ST and STng at the same time.
The unit has great displays and is very versatile in how the data is displayed on each of its pages. It was worth getting.

I am now planning to replace my ST6000+ autopilot head with the p70 instrument, as the LCD is fading on the ST6000.

Happy Sailing
Bob Charlton
SailBobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 20:54   #3

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
I have the ITC 5 converter installed, the wind, depth and speed transducers are wired to it and display all the data to an I70, the I70 is also used to calibrate the transducers. Installed a Seatalk NG to Seatalk 1 converter to interface to Autopilot, RL70C and ST 60 instruments as repeaters. As mentioned before the I70 will display Seatalk 1 and NG data but will not bridge. So far very pleased with the installation, everything works.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 00:43   #4

Boat: Catalina 270LE

I wound up with an itc5 for the wind, and swapped out the speed/depth to the new DST800 unit that is STng. With 2 i70's and a p70 for the autopilot, and a GPS it's a thing of beauty.
I also got the NoLand engineering dual engine controller and a STng-nmea converter, and am getting engine data on the i70s.

It was exactly as expected, the docs make great light of what the products can do, and the docs promise some stuff that the system CAN do, and the software doesn't exactly live up to it. For example, the docs clearly state that "autotack" is configurable - you can set the amount of turn, and also set a timer from 0 to 10 seconds. This was never built in. When sailing to the wind, you get 90 degrees, and right now. The book also indicates a preventer routine to not allow tacking to the same wind direction, which was also never built out.

Small things, but the tacking stuff was a large part of the decision to purchase, and it took a few emails to Ray to get them to admit it wasn't there.

The i70s however, are great. You could prety much mount them on the bow rail and read the displays!

Cheers
Gary
Meriachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 08:49   #5

Boat: Tartan 3500

p70
Does anyone have experience in using a p70 to replace the ST6000 autopilot control head?
SailBobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine