Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 23:08   #1
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Raymarine Auto Pilot

Hello All
I have just received an email from SV Emerald Seas, she is on the water on her way to Maldives from Thailand and out in the deep blue and she has requested me to post this email on her behalf as she needs advise ASAP....

Please note SV Emerald Seas is a 2014 Lagoon 450

The email sent is as follows -

Title: Help: AutoPilot Hydraulic Linear Drive Knocking Problem

Im getting this loud knocking sound from the AP linear drive that I hope someone could clarify for me and offer a solution? I'm presently 1/2 way across the Indian Ocean thus I'd like to fix it myself if possible.

My 2014 Lagoon 450 is fitted with the Lecomble & Schmitt linear hydraulic system consisting of the reservoir/ hydraulic pump with 3x hyd hoses connecting it to the linear drive unit that is then connected to the steering system. The AP (the smarts are by Raymarine/SPX30) is functioning properly however it has recently developed a loud knocking sound (similar to a hammer hitting a solid piece of wood) during operation that is coming direct from the linear drive unit. It doesn't knock on each stroke - its rather irregular, say every 4-8 strokes, and no particular pattern to it. I was thinking it could be an air lock in the hyd valving but unsure??

Has anyone come across this before? Any idea what it could be? Any (onsite) solutions?

Serious replies only please

Fellow Sailors
Please respond via my account so l can forward your responses to SV Emerald Seas.

Thank you in advance for all assistance.

[IMG]/ Raymarine Auto Pilot

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
Old 31-01-2015, 01:12   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Raymarine Auto Pilot

I'm not familiar with that particular drive unit, but is the reservoir still full of oil? Check the end connection of the drive to tiller/quadrant for play, and ensure the lock nut (if there is one) still tight.
A knocking sound that solid - does the ram or tiller/quadrant move in an unusual way when the sound is made???
Old 31-01-2015, 02:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

best to check the most simple first!
as sound can be transmitted,and the vessel is relatively new I would start on the rudders,as play on the bearings can produce a knock.

#1 check the rudder posts do not have abnormal play
#2 check the steering arms are not slipping
#3check the tie bar bolts are not loose
#4 check the hyd ram fasteners,ie
A where the drive connects to tie bar
B,the mounting bolts to the hull,
C the ram universal swivel joint is not worn or loose.

if the problem persists
bleeding the system is realitively easy,you just will need to top up the reserviour as you bleed.

link to pump models spec

http://www.pyiinc.com/images/pdf/ls/...r%20Drives.pdf

first check your oil reservoir is full
listen for the clutch to engage when engaging the auto pilot from auto to manual.
for models of pumps RV 1/2 or 3

at the outboard end of the ram are 2 S/S bleed valves above where the hoses attach.

with the ram arm fully"IN" bleed the outboard nipple until no bubbles appear.

with the ram arm fully "OUT"(extended ) bleed the inboard side nipple until no bubbles appear.

this is best done at the dock,as you will have to engage the auto pilot to move the ram from hard over to hard over when bleeding using the +1deg port and stb buttons.

if the problem persists suspect faulty clutch solenoid,faulty pump,faulty wiring.

I also assume that the system you have is not the constantly running pump system with 2 reversing solenoids mounted above the reservoir EV2/EV3/or HVR
this system is prone to making a knocking sound as the solenoids shunt the oil in one direction or other.

cheers alex (we met in Singapore in October)
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 04:00   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

Most autopilots have a maximum drive setting...
Are you sure the pilot head isn't telling the computer to keep driving the ram even though it's at its max extent.
BUT if it has to do that, then the boat is not balanced sailwise
When we had a wind vane the trick was to get the boat to sail by itself....no hands on the wheel / tiller...then engage the vane'
Should be the same with the autopilot
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 04:59   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Another simple check is the Heim/Rose joint on the arm end. These can be mild steel and start to lock as they corrode. Perhaps it is locking, causing the ram to move a bit out of position or against its mounting, and knocking when it unlocks or moves back into position?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:46   #6
TOT

Thank you all for your replies them are much appreciated.

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
Old 01-02-2015, 08:25   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

We have the same setup. Ours developed slight knocking after continuous use ..15+ days in hot weather. It sounded like the ram needed lubricating. Fluid was full. I'd suggest handsteering for an hour or two to let it cool down and see if it fixes the problem. Ours had been fine since but yes, strange AP sounds are a big concern when you have weeks to go on passage...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:09   #8

Alex, Wayne, all, thanks for your support and replies. We arrived in the Maldives a few days back and since inspected the complete steering and hydrualic system. The steering system is sound. The knocking is clearly coming from the linear cylinder. I suspected it was an air lock and bled the system down (Alex, much appreciated for sending the procedure) and it has since stopped. I didn't notice any air during bleeding with a semi-clear drain hose however the knocking has stopped. Having said this, I have only used the AP while here at anchor and not in anger which we will do next week.

Monte, I did the manual steering for some 3-4 hrs but this didn't stop the knocking.

I'll be chatting with L&C next week in France and see where we get with them. Also, I'll be ordering a spare cylinder! Otto is he the hardest working guy onboard - can't work without him!!

Thanks again
Steve
SV Emerald Sea
L450/304
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 00:23   #9

To close this out: I've spoke with L&S who were very helpful. Bleeding the system to remove any air lock has worked and the AP is working quite fine again.

Cheers all.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 03:17   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
To close this out: I've spoke with L&S who were very helpful. Bleeding the system to remove any air lock has worked and the AP is working quite fine again.

Cheers all.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
that's great steve,you mentioned getting a spare cylinder.

this is probably over kill,as new seals are generally all you need to fix a ram .

what is more common is the brushes need replacing on the pump,so worth having a spare set.
cheers alex
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 12:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
Hello All
I have just received an email from SV Emerald Seas, she is on the water on her way to Maldives from Thailand and out in the deep blue and she has requested me to post this email on her behalf as she needs advise ASAP....

Please note SV Emerald Seas is a 2014 Lagoon 450

The email sent is as follows -

Title: Help: AutoPilot Hydraulic Linear Drive Knocking Problem

Im getting this loud knocking sound from the AP linear drive that I hope someone could clarify for me and offer a solution? I'm presently 1/2 way across the Indian Ocean thus I'd like to fix it myself if possible.

My 2014 Lagoon 450 is fitted with the Lecomble & Schmitt linear hydraulic system consisting of the reservoir/ hydraulic pump with 3x hyd hoses connecting it to the linear drive unit that is then connected to the steering system. The AP (the smarts are by Raymarine/SPX30) is functioning properly however it has recently developed a loud knocking sound (similar to a hammer hitting a solid piece of wood) during operation that is coming direct from the linear drive unit. It doesn't knock on each stroke - its rather irregular, say every 4-8 strokes, and no particular pattern to it. I was thinking it could be an air lock in the hyd valving but unsure??

Has anyone come across this before? Any idea what it could be? Any (onsite) solutions?

Serious replies only please

Fellow Sailors
Please respond via my account so l can forward your responses to SV Emerald Seas.

Thank you in advance for all assistance.

[IMG]/ Raymarine Auto Pilot

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
It is real hard to assess her problem with the given information. I have extensive experience with mechanical and hydraulic APs, installed and repaired a few thus far. My immediate guess here would be that since this is a 2014 AP, you are probable not looking at a malfunction yet, unless this was left unchecked for a very prolonged period. If she has a manual on it, it would most certainly list this problem under the troubleshooting section, as I believe the system needs to be bled out all the air bubble in the hydraulic system. Do this by turning a full swing in one direction, then open the filler cap on the pump if it is a steering pump or wherever, then top up to the level, then close the filler cap and slowly turn to the full opposite direction, and repeat the oil check level. Then close the cap again, and turn the steering slowly to each full direction a few times and check the level again, ensuring the oil does not have any air bubbles in it. If her problem persists after this check, she can be then looking at a hydraulic ram/linear malfunction. If she can take a picture of the Ram/linear with her mobile phone, this will help. Email me anytime, and in your reply, provide me information whether this is a tiler or steering AP, and the AP model so I can be more precise in helping. Try to use the AP as limited as possible until the problem is resolved
J. Nikitaridis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 12:29   #12

It is real hard to assess her problem with the given information. I have extensive experience with mechanical and hydraulic APs, installed and repaired a few thus far. My immediate guess here would be that since this is a 2014 AP, you are probable not looking at a malfunction yet, unless this was left unchecked for a very prolonged period. If she has a manual on it, it would most certainly list this problem under the troubleshooting section, as I believe the system needs to be bled out all the air bubble in the hydraulic system. Do this by turning a full swing in one direction, then open the filler cap on the pump if it is a steering pump or wherever, then top up to the level, then close the filler cap and slowly turn to the full opposite direction, and repeat the oil check level. Then close the cap again, and turn the steering slowly to each full direction a few times and check the level again, ensuring the oil does not have any air bubbles in it. If her problem persists after this check, she can be then looking at a hydraulic ram/linear malfunction. If she can take a picture of the Ram/linear with her mobile phone, this will help. Email me anytime, and in your reply, provide me information whether this is a tiler or steering AP, and the AP model so I can be more precise in helping. Try to use the AP as limited as possible until the problem is resolved
J. Nikitaridis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:03   #13

Hi I have a Raymarine type 2 hydraulic linear drive. When Auto is engaged the steering does not lock and the steering is able to be moved freely. I confirmed that there is 12V at the clutch and plugs are free of corrosion. I checked the fluid level it and it was on the minimum line or just below. I topped it up and still no changes. There also appears to be a fine sediment at the bottoms of the hydraulic reservoir. The entire system was new from 2018 not sure if should be failing so soon.

The only thing I have not tried is bleeding the system. I read the instructions on how to do this in the manual but it was a little confusing. Do you have any recommendations on how to do it?

I spoke with one of the techs on the phone and he seem to think it could also be that the clutch needs to be replaced. Any thoughts on this? Can the clutch be cleaned or is it a full replacement?
Thanks for your input.
Tikitour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine