Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:09   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
That’s a pretty comprehensive chart...thanks Martinini.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:03   #32

Boat: a sailing boat
S.c. beta light? Anyone experience? I know they had been tested on some Open 60 boats? What happened to them?

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:06   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
I cant find any thing on them Barnie...I'm so not finding any good solutions for my new whole boat lighting...Cold cathode seems to be good light but they are big and not the style that suits me.....Leds that are dimmable.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:18   #34

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Yesterday I bought a couple of Dr. LED G4's from the bargain bin at Fisheries Supply.
Compared to the halogen bulbs, they're still a little bit blue and don't have as much light output. So far, I'm going to stick to the halogens.

I'd love to get 6 of those I2 Touch lights, but at $120 a pop...Yowza !

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:30   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you want the ones that act as a switch (also touch dimmable) for the $120 ones (actually, according to the quote I got yesterday they are $128) you'll pay $174.
But they do look nice.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53   #36

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Just remember please guys that using flourescent light around moving tools and machinery is dangerous as the hz flicker can cause a strobe affect which makes it hard to see moving things like saw blades.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now that’s interesting Anjou....I don’t think I've ever heard that but can sure see how in theory its possible.....I've heard that some LEDs switch on and off thousands of time per second (or whatever the number was) to save energy...I wonder if the effect would be similar.

How’s the boat shopping going?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:37   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Just remember please guys that using flourescent light around moving tools and machinery is dangerous as the hz flicker can cause a strobe affect which makes it hard to see moving things like saw blades.
Which could be handy, when trying to perform a
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/tachometer-calibration-1763.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 13:17   #39

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Correct for the older type - they worked at (??) 20-80 HZ (??) while the new type (110/220 with integral balast as from Philips / Osram etc) work at fqs that do not give the strobo effect.

The new type is also available for 12/24 Volt, but unfortunately not here in EU ;-(. Probably will get LEDs before I can get the new type 12 Volt fluos.

Beta lights used e.g. in Fujinon binocs, i.a. but they must be available somewhere - otherwise Fujinon would have no supplier.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 13:58   #40

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Now that’s interesting Anjou....I don’t think I've ever heard that but can sure see how in theory its possible.....I've heard that some LEDs switch on and off thousands of time per second (or whatever the number was) to save energy...I wonder if the effect would be similar.

How’s the boat shopping going?
I came across the situation about 15 yrs ago when setting up a workshop with a radial arm saw on the bench and a building inspector gave me the heads up. Just to prove the point, i plugged in a portable strip light and the saw blade did appear to run backwards like a Wells Fargo stage coach wheel.

Boat hunting has been most sucsessful thanks, with the discovery of a habitable vessel complete with a very capable and hunky skipper already aboard and raring to set sail for heavenly destinations.
Old 03-10-2009, 00:31   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I came across the situation about 15 yrs ago when setting up a workshop with a radial arm saw on the bench and a building inspector gave me the heads up. Just to prove the point, i plugged in a portable strip light and the saw blade did appear to run backwards like a Wells Fargo stage coach wheel.

Boat hunting has been most sucsessful thanks, with the discovery of a habitable vessel complete with a very capable and hunky skipper already aboard and raring to set sail for heavenly destinations.
I was going add "man" to "boat hunting" but figured I'd play it safe!
Good for you Anjou...hope it works out for you.

(hope the symbolism isn’t too obvious )
Old 03-10-2009, 05:33   #42

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Geez, I just used these on the last one and planned on the same this time.

Whitworths Marine: 12 Volt Lucky Fluorescent Cabin Light, Double 16w

They where about the only thing that survived when we were struck by lightning.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:00   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The biggest problem I have with them is they aren’t the style that would go with my boat.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07   #44

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - I am all into cost effectiveness. Super long lasting bulbs generally cost multiples of "regular" bulbs. If you consider the number of years you will be sailing and the number of years you will have the boat - maybe - they are not cost effective over previous systems. I like the CCF flourescents which seem to be in the middle, longer life and brighter light. Halogens are my big "hate them" in a boat. But the fixtures are all designed for them if you want low profile "rail lights." The heat is enormous and although the bulbs last a long time, the fixtures oxidize from the heat and the electrical connection fails. If only they would make LED's in a thin format to replace . . .
- - As far as required by regulations "navigation and other lights" - way down at the very bottom after page after page of mathematics and technical jargon on the Bebi Electronics link post #5) is this disclaimer: >>>>> If you have insurance and you are involved in a collision at night, your claim may be dis-allowed if you have a non-OEM light bulb, whether it is an LED, incandescent, halogen, or fluorescent, in the fixture, regardless of the real reason for the collision. <<<<< I my opinion that makes using LED's or anything other than the original type bulb in a required navigation light a non-starter. Which also probably explains why the OEM replacement bulbs for my AquaSignal Tricolor cost US$25 each.
- - But for all other interior or auxilliary lighting needs not covered by regulations, LED, CCF, etc. replacements can be desirable. If you look in a home discount store at the ordinary replacement light bulbs/tubes you will see cheap bulbs and extra long life bulbs that last twice as long but cost 4x the price.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For me its about having a very useful and comfortable light that’s not to hot and doesn’t draw to much.
They also have to be esthetically pleasing....I've spent a lot of time and money on my refit to have, among other things, a nice looking boat.
I'm ready to pay (to a point) for lights that do this for me, if I could just find them.

Those I2 Touch lights are as close as I've found, but I'd need 9 of the $174 ones and about 16 of the $128 ones.
In Lebanon I pay 25% duty to import them plus a clearing agents fees...plus shipping.
I'm pushing 5k for bloody lights if I go that route.
Thats why I'm still looking, and happy to see continued info on this thread...thanks everybody!