Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2014, 06:00   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Raritan Fresh Head

Actually the conversion kit that converts several Raritan models to fresh heads, but the new head should be the same.
You remove your pump and flapper assy and replace with the fresh head kit pump and flapper and attach with the provided four bolts, the provided bolts were too short, so I re-used the original four screws. You remove the bung on the back of the toilet bowl where raw water flows into the bowl and replace it with one with a vacuum break, this connects to the pump assy you replaced with a provided soft white vinyl hose, no clamps are provided or needed as there is no pressure in this hose, just flow.
Raw water hose is removed as it's not needed, in it's place you need a 1/2" fresh water line that is connected to a pressurized source, this is connected to a simple press to open water valve that lets water flow into the bowl, water flow is in no way connected to the waste removal pump. You can let as much or as little water into the bowl as you wish at any time.
Directions implied that you may have to cut another hole for the discharge hole as the new outlet is about 2" shorter than the old. Interestingly the Joker valve is actually inside of a connector flange that connects the pump to the discharge elbow and is secured by two hose clamps, this allows enough flex so that I didn't have to cut another hole for my discharge hose.
Joker valve replacement seems to be very easy as it's part of that sleeve, just loosen two hose clamps and remove the sleeve / Joker valve and replace, no screws and nuts.
Operation seems to best be done by pushing the water valve lever and pre-wetting the bowl, the when it's time to flush, add more water if desired and operate the pump. Since the pump is now only pumping out, not raw water on one stroke and sewage on the other, plus it's now a diaphragm pump, it is much easier to operate, pump handle is only about 6", but still even with that short handle it's way less pressure to operate, and nearly silent, no squeaking / groaning.
The handle being located differently and it being so short means that it is not in the way of your leg anymore, in fact it's not possible for it to hit your leg.

I see it as having five distinct advantages over my PHII

1. Fresh water flush
2. you can use as much or as little water as you want, and adding water to the bowl is not tied to any other operation.
3. much easier to operate as in much less effort required to operate the pump
4. handle and my leg are no longer trying to occupy the same space, it's a more comfortable seat now.
5. essentially silent operation, really noiseless

Replacement part numbers I could only find by calling Raritain, they aren't even in their on-line catalog, they assure me Defender and others are stocking though.
Joker Valve # 25213
pump diaphragm # 227015
re-build kit # 2500RK
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 08:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Raritan Fresh Head

A64pilot, Thanks for the report on that. It sounds like a really good solution to fresh water flush. Would we call this a hybrid toilet?

Do I understand you reused your bowl from a PHII? Did you use the PHII base as well?

I'm going to be placing a Raritan order this week and after reading your report I think I'll bring some into stock.
Old 13-10-2014, 08:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have an old PHII, old. the kit just replaced the pump assy and the bung on the back, same base, same everything.
Lot less work than I expected, hardest part was "T"ing into a fresh water line.
I guess it is a hybrid, I like deciding how much water is used plus being able to pre-wet the bowl without a cup. I normally use an excessive amount of water and have had a lot better luck odor wise etc. doing that, but if I need to watch water consumption with this head, I can. I don't yet see any downside to this thing, yet.

Order the replacement parts, and re-build kit as I'm having a difficult time finding them. I want spares on board, you know why.
I have another head to do, but as my washing machine and two tires on the wife's car bit the dust today it may be next month before I do.

If it's allowable will you PM me the price of a kit once you stock them?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 21:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"If it's allowable will you PM me the price of a kit once you stock them?"
I'll be glad to.

Tags
head, raritan