Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2018, 08:02   #1

Propane grill - Not weber or Magma Kettle - Suggestions?

All -

Been reading a long list of threads and have found it hard to figure out the right new grill.

as of now i have an older Magma kettle and I have the following issues- many of which are shared by everyone who has this same grill:
1. It only cooks at 11 at all times
2. Brutal hot spots (I have cleaned it and replaced some of the inner workings)
3. I have an older model that doesn't hold the lid when its open
4. The hot lid has also led to many burns

Although there are endless posts praising the Weber grills I simply cannot get on board with putting something that bulky on the back of my 35' Beneteau. It does get a lot of use so I intend to mount to a rail off the back of the boat.

What I am interested in would be:
1. The actual ability to adjust the flame level
2. Consistent heat across
3. Uses the small propane bottles
4. Can mount to a rail

I am open to infrared - anyone been using one and have any clear pros and cons?

Kuuma seems to have some negative comments about build quality. Seen a couple positive mentions of Dickinson but no extensive reviews.

So I am looking for feedback if you have some ideas that fit what I am looking for.

Also, has anyone done a thorough brand review in the last year or two?

Thanks!

jpeac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:13   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Propane grill - Not weber or Magma Kettle - Suggestions?

I like Dickenson. Had a large sea-b-que for 12 years on last boat. Now have a new spitfire I found new on eBay for 1/2 price

Old 18-06-2018, 09:05   #3

Boat: Custom Swedish VindŲ 50 (35 ft)

+1 for Dickenson. I've had the small SEA-B-Q for about 6 years now and it gets A LOT of use! They are very well made. Mine has not a speck of rust anywhere. It cooks evenly and no hot spots. I have only one complaint about it- the SS burner has been replaced about 4 times already. I haven't heard this complaint from others, so it just may be the way I use the BBQ (I salt meat before cooking and often use a very high flame). Otherwise, I have nothing but praise for Dickenson BBQs. They come in 2 sizes: small and large. I've found the small SEA-B-Q to be perfect for up to 4 people. As it has a rectangular grill, it seems there is no wasted space like with a round grill.

Regarding the low flame/low heat issue, the problem is that BBQs come with a valve that has only 3 settings (low, medium and high). I just chucked the original valve away and put on a simple ball valve for gas fittings. This way you can control the heat and get a very low flame for slow cooking or a high flame for searing (perhaps that's why I go through so many burners!). If you're going to be cruising off the beaten track, it's worth carrying a spare burner.

Another detail. The Dickenson comes with a ceramic coated grill (in 4 sections). You get perfect grill marks (unlike those wire grills). Food doesn't stick to it, but one has to be careful when cleaning them not to damage the ceramic coating.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 17:45   #4

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Propane grill - Not weber or Magma Kettle - Suggestions?

So for the record, I was also a hater of my magma kettle... but I then bought the correct adapter for my 6 pound propane tank and an appropriately sized regulator. Now... itís awesome. I can cook low (I heat it up on high then turn down to low) and I can cook in high winds with no problem. It does still suffer from rusting problems inside.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 20:08   #5

Boat: Kaufman 47

Well I got nothing.. I post about my grill but it was definitely one you didn't want to hear about haha! Whoops. Good luck!
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 20:15   #6

Boat: 1967 Chris Craft Commander 31

I have a new Magma kettle grill, the larger size, and haven't had any of the issues that you speak about. The burner cover does a good job of evening out the heat. And my cover is attached to the grill, so it just rotates back using the plastic handle, no burned hands. And I have it attached to a vertical stanchion of my railing. Either you have an older model that doesn't have these updates, or your expectations of a boat grill are too high.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:16   #7

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I have a Magma Catalina ( two tier box type ). Holds a good flame in under 15kts and relatively even heat. As a back up I use a Force 10 ( Horizontal tube shaped ) and it is the best working of the two but has less grill space.
Costco Warehouse sells a propane box style for $49 that is brushed stainless and would need a fabricated mount. It seems to work well for a friend of mine and as everything bought at Costco, it can be returned at any time.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:22   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
So for the record, I was also a hater of my magma kettle... but I then bought the correct adapter for my 6 pound propane tank and an appropriately sized regulator. Now... itís awesome. I can cook low (I heat it up on high then turn down to low) and I can cook in high winds with no problem. It does still suffer from rusting problems inside.

I use the 1 pound "camping" propane bottles and do not have these problems with my Magma. I remove the bottle when not in use and store it in a ventilated place outside of the cabin. I do not typically cook underway...no gimbal!

That said, I had a Force 10 rail BBQ for years and liked it quite a bit. Used it the same way. So perhaps it's not the Magma...it's the regulator.
Old 19-06-2018, 08:58   #9

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Been using a rectangular "log type" Force 10 grill for 18 years on MOJO. Very happy with it. I know they had a model change in early 2000, but not sure if they're available anymore or not. I've replaced the burner once. It's connected to a 10 lb aluminum propane tank, but adapters are available for the little green bottles.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:04   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

+1 for Dickinson. Superior quality and very responsive to questions.
By far the most popular grill in my marina.
Old 20-06-2018, 18:12   #11

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

Another +1 ft Dickinson. We have a spitfire and love it.
sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 09:49   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I use the 1 pound "camping" propane bottles and do not have these problems with my Magma. I remove the bottle when not in use and store it in a ventilated place outside of the cabin. I do not typically cook underway...no gimbal!

That said, I had a Force 10 rail BBQ for years and liked it quite a bit. Used it the same way. So perhaps it's not the Magma...it's the regulator.

We used the 1 pounders for a while and you are right, they work pretty well up to certain wind speeds. The problem is that they rust out very quickly and we canít keep enough on board to satisfy our needs. They have a habit of running out at exactly the wrong time! Also, they leak when they rust.

We saw a boat that mounted a PVC tube to the hard top with screw off ends into which he put the canisters. Seemed like a good idea to keep them from rusting.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 10:10   #13

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeac2 View Post
3. I have an older model that doesn't hold the lid when its open

FWIW, if your older model has what looks like a big fender washer in the inside of the lid underneath the handle... that washer will fit over the lip of the kettle and hold the lid...

Not much consolation, maybe...

-Chris
Old 24-06-2018, 23:16   #14

Boat: Morgan 46 ketch

If you anchor in any area that has more than about 3 knots of wind, your barbeque may be useless. We struggled for many years trying to make our Magma work in moderate, maybe 7 knot winds. Added aluminum foil all around in every configuration we could, still no luck. Its still sitting on stern rail, unused for last 15 years.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 07:48   #15

Boat: O'Day 40

My Dickinson Sea-B-Que works in 15 knots of wind.

Tags
agm, Grill, propane