Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2018, 11:59   #31

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Re: Practical Vacuum Sealer for Boat

I've recommended the Sinbo, before, and I'll repeat it, again.

I bought mine six years ago, and I've sealed thousands of bags with it.

And it's still going strong.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Low...Sous-Vide-way/
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 16:49   #32

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Zip lock bag and a bucket of water also works
Old 20-08-2018, 07:57   #33

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

I used a simple system consisting of mason jars and a hand operated vacuum pump. The jars and lids can be reused.

The jar adapters (wide mouth and regular) and hose came from a thrift store Food Saver (re-donated the rest of the kit, )Tthe vacuum pump is a hand held device used to assist in the bleeding of hydraulic brakes and are available at most any auto parts/supply store.The hand operated pump will pull a vacuum down to 25" and keep food fresh for years. Been using this system for decades. Fast. Efficient. Cheap. Takes up little precious room and very easy to use. As a added benefit it helps increase hand grip strength.

Glass is a bit heavier, but will not leach 'god only knows what' chemicals into your food. In my 40 + years of cruising/ boat living i have not broken one jar.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:31   #34

We have the Food Saver Big Game food saver. It operates on both 120 volts a/c and 12 volts dc. It has the hose adapter for accessories and can operate continuously without overheating. We highly recommend it.
David Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 11:27   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hoyt View Post
We have the Food Saver Big Game food saver. It operates on both 120 volts a/c and 12 volts dc. It has the hose adapter for accessories and can operate continuously without overheating. We highly recommend it.
Same one I have. I’ve had it for years. It’s been great.
Old 20-08-2018, 11:49   #36

Boat: PDQ, Capella 36 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFeat View Post
I used a simple system consisting of mason jars and a hand operated vacuum pump. The jars and lids can be reused.

The jar adapters (wide mouth and regular) and hose came from a thrift store Food Saver (re-donated the rest of the kit, )Tthe vacuum pump is a hand held device used to assist in the bleeding of hydraulic brakes and are available at most any auto parts/supply store.The hand operated pump will pull a vacuum down to 25" and keep food fresh for years. Been using this system for decades. Fast. Efficient. Cheap. Takes up little precious room and very easy to use. As a added benefit it helps increase hand grip strength.

Glass is a bit heavier, but will not leach 'god only knows what' chemicals into your food. In my 40 + years of cruising/ boat living i have not broken one jar.
Already on my second foodsaver ... the first lasted 13-14 years but I really like your system. As a former mechanic I know exactly what you're talking about, should work well at least for jars. Now we have to figure how to heat-seal bags?
Spartanacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 12:02   #37

Boat: Lock Crowther 37' Catamaran - ORYOKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Zip lock bag and a bucket of water also works
Care to add a bit of detail?
Old 20-08-2018, 18:45   #38

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Yeah, fill the bag with water and throw your sandwich in. Cuts out the anticipation of actually thinking that a ziplock bag is good for more than 30 mins.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 18:48   #39

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:

DUDE!! You are my hero. I am so doing this and I have everything already.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 19:31   #40

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:

Put your items in the bag. Put the bag in the water. Then zip it shut.

The water pressure will press most of the air out.

Perfect? No but better than nothing.

Use the freezer version of zip lock bags.
Old 21-08-2018, 11:45   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Actually, ziplock makes vacuum bags now too. Mainly a ziplock bag with textured thicker material and a slit valve on the side, sold with a hand vacuum pump. Insert goods, seal bag, pump a vacuum up by hand. Well...it works, sorta.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 08:49   #42

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

We have a Foodsaver brand sealer that gets pretty heavy use. It's about eleven years old. It's crossed oceans with me and now moves back and forth between home and boat. The model doesn't seem to be available anymore. It has six buttons: vacuum & seal and seal and four modes (high and low vacuum (so you don't crush fragile items) and wet and dry (so you don't suck liquids into the vacuum pump)). It came with an attachment for jars but if something is going into a canning jar we can it with either pressure or water bath.

We mostly use it for food. We have plenty of freezer space (two on board and two at home) so we can produce when it is in season. I'm also an active delivery skipper and I make up meals in bulk at home that just need to be heated underway. I do some parts, including watermaker membranes.

Definitely buy bags in the rolls. The precut ones turn out to be the wrong size no matter what.

I've used other brands on delivery boats but remain quite happy with my old Foodsaver. Minor maintenance once in a while wiping mineral oil on the seals.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 08:56   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

having been th e consumer of vacuum sealed fresh hahaha fish, i can say i will never again use a vacuum sealer for foodstuffs.
introduction of liceria, botulism, e coli and other gram negative anaerobic wonders waiting to infect your system is not my idea of a good time. yeah the food may taste great and look fresh but godssaveyourass if you eat it.
have fun with your anaerobic issues.
ps the foodstuffs i ate were allegedly fresh FISH in sushi and sashimi form, vacuum sealed to protect freshness which encouraged in very short time the growth of these anaerobic problems. yes i was sick for more than 2 weeks with this issue directly related to vacuum sealing fishies.
have fun and enjoy living.

Vacuum Sealing Could Be Hazardous to Your Health | Ready Nutrition
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 12:36   #44
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If it doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I thought just to seal well when frozen.

Are you saying fillets are better off exposed to the freezer air
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 13:22   #45

Boat: Rafiki 37

Damn… I just ate ground beef I dried and sealed in 2014. Tasted great. So far, I haven’t died. I’ll let you know if I do .

Tags
boat, cal