Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 13:38   #1

Boat: 54 kady krogen
Portable Freezer

Anyone have experience with the engle or dometic freezers, I am looking for one of the larger ones, but am concerned about the power draw. The engle size I want is only metal, am wondering how fast it will rust. The dometic although it's cheeper and plastic, but the power draw seems twice as much.
thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 15:00   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Portable freezer

I've never heard anyone complain about an Engel.
Old 20-02-2012, 15:32   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We purchased a 63 quart edgestar. Very similar to engle / dometic, does flash freeze, works as a freezer or fridge. Its metal but seems power coated or epoxy coated, it has held up just under a year in salt environment and no rust. Works awesome, very very low power draw and cost half of the engles.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 15:40   #4

I've been using an Engel M25? for several years in freezer mode:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: IS THIS A COOL WORLD OR WHAT!
It just keeps working. Very happy with it! Draws a little under 3 amps two 75 watt solar panels take care of the power needs most days.
Old 20-02-2012, 18:03   #5

Boat: Hunter H37C, Hunter H23

I've got the Engel MT60F-C and just love it. Keeps stuff frozen and will freeze stuff in the refrig side if I turn it down too much. Can get a 24 pack in one side and still have the have plenty of room to put the weeks supplies in the other. On a sunny day can run it off my solar pannels and still recharge the batteries a bit. I can get about 3 days on the hook before I need to start the engine and get the batteries toped off if it is cloudy a lot. I did not want to give up my icebox (I use that for canned goods and other dry food storage now) so I have the Engel next to the starboard settee where the huge harvest table used to be (Hunter 37C). You can get a set of turnbuckles to hold it in place and it has handels on the side if you need to carry it anywhere (2 person job). Well worth the money, It is a quality piece IMHO. It has a temp gauge so you can see how cold the feezer is (slushy beers)

Mark
markprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 18:08   #6

I have an Engel. Thing is a tank and sips amperage regardless of the exterior temperature. Would never go back to the in-hull style of fridge. Figuring out where to store it is the only real problem.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 18:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have an Engel. Thing is a tank and sips amperage regardless of the exterior temperature. Would never go back to the in-hull style of fridge. Figuring out where to store it is the only real problem.
OK, I have a similar, but different problem:

The PO of my boat stripped it for a refit. He bought a teeny tiny but very nice isotherm fridge. I also have a decent sized Engle, that fits nicely in a spot on the boat already

So my question is what the hell do I do with the built in fridge in a not-too easy to get to back corner of the boat? Remodel it to hold the engle? build a proper fridge or ??
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 18:36   #8

Boat: 54 kady krogen
Thanks I think the engle is the way to go, going to do the 60,
thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 18:50   #9

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Re: Portable Freezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Anyone have experience with the engle or dometic freezers, I am looking for one of the larger ones, but am concerned about the power draw. The engle size I want is only metal, am wondering how fast it will rust. The dometic although it's cheeper and plastic, but the power draw seems twice as much.
The old story, you get what you pay for. We used all sort of 12 volt fridges and freezers when we did commercial dirt bike tours. We found the Engel is the one to have. I still carry one in my Kombi and it works beautiful. Power consumption is about half of the same size fridge in the boat.
Never had a problem with rust either.
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 19:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
OK, I have a similar, but different problem:

The PO of my boat stripped it for a refit. He bought a teeny tiny but very nice isotherm fridge. I also have a decent sized Engle, that fits nicely in a spot on the boat already

So my question is what the hell do I do with the built in fridge in a not-too easy to get to back corner of the boat? Remodel it to hold the engle? build a proper fridge or ??
I have a similar problem. The existing fridge space is completely unused at this point; just a sealed up chamber. I yanked the old fridge components (nevermind getting blasted in the face by compressed refrigerant).

I've thought up a couple of ideas for the space. As you said, it's a pain in the ass location to work with. I'm not too worried. Between water makers, spare water for passages, and random provisions we'll just it into a big storage space.

I mean really, it's usable (albeit not overly convenient) space on the boat. You know it will get used.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer