Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 16:13   #1

Planning to Price Gouge

We just moved to Pensacola and am developing a hurricane plan. During my research I came across this:

Hurricane Plan - Pelican's Perch Marina and Boatyard

Basically if you want a hurricane haul out they charge you $5000, plus all the normal haul out fees! Then they do not even tie down your boat, just put it on two sets of jackstands.

I have heard stories of scum-bag boat yard practices, but never seen them proudly advertised on a web-site.

Since price gouging is illegal most everywhere I was wondering how they got around it. My guess is since they charge you in advance of the storm, they get away with it. Wording on the few laws I looked at mentioned "after a storm".

Needless to say, will not be doing business with these people.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 16:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Planning to Price Gouge

$5000???? That looks like you added an extra zero to the amount. Wow.

Almost wish I was in Pensacola so I could not do business with them.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 16:42   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Amazing, they actually advertise it like they're doing you a favor. A sign of the times we are in.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 16:56   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Erhm ... 2014? And here I thought it was 2016

Prices in 2014 according to the site were:

$1000.00/boat for the first 14 boats to register,
$1500.00/boat for the 15th-19th boats to register,
$2000.00,boat for the 20th-25th boats to register.
Maximum boats in the 2014 plan will be 25.

If, during a storm haul out process, it is decided there is time and space to haul additional boats outside the plan, the fee will be $5000.00 plus regular normal plan fees.

*A hurricane lift, block & splash fee of $500 will apply to all boats, plus a minimum of 5 lay-days charged @ $50.00 per day.

So the $5k from the OP could actually be $1k, without extra costs calculated.
Old 16-04-2016, 17:00   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I'm having a hard time I believing the OP. There's no way Raindog hasn't sold already.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 17:20   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I doubt anyone will get to pay the 5k fee. All of the available space will be sold before hurricane season. Their rates to save a spot do seem a little steep.
Old 17-04-2016, 08:17   #7

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We just moved to Pensacola and am developing a hurricane plan. During my research I came across this:

Basically if you want a hurricane haul out they charge you $5000, plus all the normal haul out fees! Then they do not even tie down your boat, just put it on two sets of jackstands.

I have heard stories of scum-bag boat yard practices, but never seen them proudly advertised on a web-site.

Since price gouging is illegal most everywhere I was wondering how they got around it. My guess is since they charge you in advance of the storm, they get away with it. Wording on the few laws I looked at mentioned "after a storm".

price gouging is far from illegal most everywhere. certain industries, insurance, banking, etc., but hardly most everywhere. rent someone's bedroom during superbowl weekend near the stadium and you'll see what i mean.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 08:35   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I absolutely do not see this as price gouging. The yard is trying to manage demand by severely discounting advanced orders. Seems reasonable to me. Yes, $5000 is ludicrous but last minute actors should not expect any breaks. In this case based on the 2014 copy there will probably be no space at any price.
Find something real to get outraged over such as jacking up the price of water after the storm. High prices to guarantee pre-storm haul out is simply insurance.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 08:56   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

I have lived, survived, and prepared boats for hurricanes along this coast for over 50 years. A boat will stand the best chance of survival well anchored in a protected bayou.

Having said that finding a protected bayou where some jackass hanging on a lunch hook will not drag down on you is getting harder with every passing year.

In the Pensacola area I would get over in the Alabama side of the border, go early and try to pick a location where no one can get between you and a south shore. Big Lagoon don't count. It turns into the GOM in any significant storm.

Just think about your positive outcome in Red Shanks.

IMO you have chosen one of the best cruising areas for knocking around in boats in the entire US Coast. The collection of connected bays from Apalach to Mobile can't be beat. Just a long way for making a hop over to the Bahamas.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 09:25   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
I have lived, survived, and prepared boats for hurricanes along this coast for over 50 years. A boat will stand the best chance of survival well anchored in a protected bayou.
Thanks for the tips. Perdido River looks promising. Will have to scout it. Running up the Tenn-Tom might be another option.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 09:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Erhm ... 2014? And here I thought it was 2016

Prices in 2014 according to the site were:

$1000.00/boat for the first 14 boats to register,
$1500.00/boat for the 15th-19th boats to register,
$2000.00,boat for the 20th-25th boats to register.
Maximum boats in the 2014 plan will be 25.

If, during a storm haul out process, it is decided there is time and space to haul additional boats outside the plan, the fee will be $5000.00 plus regular normal plan fees.

*A hurricane lift, block & splash fee of $500 will apply to all boats, plus a minimum of 5 lay-days charged @ $50.00 per day.

So the $5k from the OP could actually be $1k, without extra costs calculated.
Still... it's a rip off at any of those rates.
This comes to mind: Doctor: "your appendix has burst, how much money can you come up with?"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 13:20   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Perdido River looks promising. Will have to scout it. Running up the Tenn-Tom might be another option.
If I read this right you get hauled and the hurricane never hits, you just blew 5K. Find a creek or a river to hide in. I've see the shrimp fleet come up Awendaw creek and lash off to trees. Now maybe their in and out at the first price may not be bad I can only assume that is an annual commitment. But you will probably be hauled annually anyway?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 13:45   #13

Quote:

"Price Gouging "is legal. sorry
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 14:01   #14

On the face of it, it certainly seems outrageous. I wonder if there are any justifications from the yard's perspective... like keeping staff available, having an over-full yard which means they have more difficulty moving boats around, etc. It's almost like salvage pricing.

Is this typical? What do other yards in the area charge?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 15:24   #15

Laid up in Perdido for a couple of months......people were very nice. Nor a lot of options for marinas but there are a couple.

Prout SnowGoose
Catatonic
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price