Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 06:34   #46
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Pantaenius is a Selective & Elective Joke Can someone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Dont feel bad OP they did you a favour - If you actually look at the PANTYarse policy in detail its actually a pretty poor one in a number of areas.

Basically unless you burn it or sink it you dont get much coverage...

Been with em for 3 years but on the lookout for a better policy right now.

Part of it could be the different policies between different versions of Pantyarse as I cant remember the previous German policy being so bad but my new Australian one is very poor indeed

Interesting Barra. We changed from pantyarse to topsail, primarily because we wanted summer in the water coverage in Grenada. I found the pantanius coverage good, but gleaned from conversations with the companies that their hands are pretty much tied on policy making because all they are really doing is repackaging and reselling upper echelon insurers such as Lloyds. So one year to the next, policies might change and some yachts will be excluded from cover due to value or age or any number of statistics that the providers punch in their spreadsheet. Personally I've had a lot of insurers reject me for coverage, usually because I'm no a US citizen or because I wanted a cover they don't supply. That's business and I don't really feel the need to start a topic on each company, damning their policies.
We did/had to change from pantanius Germany to Australia when they opened the Aussie office a few years ago.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 07:03   #47

Boat: Gemini 3000

Geico runs mine through Foremost, its not a really extensive policy but it will cover damage to others, dock, environment and take it off the bottom. Price is very fair.
Kayoko Monk 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:11   #48

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

interesting all the differnt experiences with Pantaenius. We just switched to Pantaenius as we need insurance for a circumnavigation.

They were the cheapest and allow us to "turn coverage off and on" as we sail through and enter/leave various areas of the world.

No problem with us double handing RTW without other crew

I do know a fellow who lost his boat on a reef in the pacific a couple of years ago. Filed the claim - two weeks later the money rolled into his bank account.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 08:58   #49

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I feel this is a little like the OP walking into a steak house and ordering a hamburger. The restaurant says we used to sell hamburgers but we have decided to only sell steaks now. No need to get upset, just find a burger joint....
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:18   #50

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
I have never had a marina or harbormaster ask to see my proof of insurance in more than 25 years of messing around in boats. US, Mexico, some Caribbean.
Yesterday along with the bill for summer dockage came a reminder to provide proof of insurance. Of course the marina is owned by an attorney.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:20   #51

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
I have never had a marina or harbormaster ask to see my proof of insurance in more than 25 years of messing around in boats. US, Mexico, some Caribbean.
I'm sure your will get a variety of requirements, or no requirements, from all the thousands of marinas out there. Our marina does not offer guest moorage so this only applies to longer term leases (i.e. monthly or more) but it absolutely requires specific amounts of liability insurance and must be "named" as a party in a rider from the insurance company. You have a grace period to provide it but you can't stay if you don't provide it. You also have to provide proof of state registration as well. The other marinas in town also have the same requirements, including the ones who provide guest moorage. It is not required for the guests though, only the long term renters.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 09:34   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Yesterday along with the bill for summer dockage came a reminder to provide proof of insurance. Of course the marina is owned by an attorney.
I, for one, am glad that the boats next to me have to provide their own liability insurance when their boat burns up from faulty circuits and takes down every boat around them. It is common in the winter when heaters are left on on boats. Several fires have already happened this year in Washington state and the fire has never been isolated to just the one boat.
Old 13-01-2016, 12:44   #53

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS

Quote:
Dear Simphony, Things have changed. I also done boating for almost double of your time and in 4 continents... And I tell you, things have changed a lot! I have been calling Marinas from NYC to Miami from November 2015 to now and 90% of them have it set as the very first question they will ask you! "DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE"? No liability coverage , no entrance! furthermore I hate the idea of having $63,000 plus all content inside floating over the Ocean uninsured! Right now I am just paying someone to be in the boat watching it and it is probably costing me more than the insurance would! When I finally find one...
Old 13-01-2016, 12:48   #54

Boat: Morgan OI 41 CCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
interesting all the differnt experiences with Pantaenius. We just switched to Pantaenius as we need insurance for a circumnavigation.

They were the cheapest and allow us to "turn coverage off and on" as we sail through and enter/leave various areas of the world.

No problem with us double handing RTW without other crew

I do know a fellow who lost his boat on a reef in the pacific a couple of years ago. Filed the claim - two weeks later the money rolled into his bank account.
that is great! Can I have the name and number for your broker please?
Old 13-01-2016, 15:04   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAFMIAMI View Post
Dear Simphony, Things have changed. I also done boating for almost double of your time and in 4 continents... And I tell you, things have changed a lot! I have been calling Marinas from NYC to Miami from November 2015 to now and 90% of them have it set as the very first question they will ask you! "DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE"? No liability coverage , no entrance! furthermore I hate the idea of having $63,000 plus all content inside floating over the Ocean uninsured! Right now I am just paying someone to be in the boat watching it and it is probably costing me more than the insurance would! When I finally find one...
Mexico requires Mexican liability insurance just to be in their territorial waters. You DO NOT want to be boarded by their navy without it. All marinas there require it. This is in addition to whatever other insurance you might have. It's pretty cheap though.
Old 13-01-2016, 15:31   #56

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Times have changed. For a while it was enough to quote a policy number and company name. Now they want "proof", an actual document showing coverage. Just about every marina around here now requires this sort of proof of insurance.

When I sold my boat recently, the new owner had a difficult time getting insurance coverage, because he was not a canadian citzen. It was a week before haulout, and the marina would not haul the boat without proof of insurance. Fortunately, he was able to find a company that would cover him.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 15:42   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Perhaps the problem is with your valuation of 60k. According to soldboats.com the last time a Morgan sold for 60k was a 41' in 2003. A 41' now typically sells between 18k and 35k.
Old 13-01-2016, 16:16   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Perhaps the problem is with your valuation of 60k. According to soldboats.com the last time a Morgan sold for 60k was a 41' in 2003. A 41' now typically sells between 18k and 35k.
Interesting, and this throws a different light upon the situation. However, neither valuation meets their reported 250K$ minimum.

Jim
Old 13-01-2016, 16:48   #59

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I don't agree.. lightning strike in the 90's.. prompt settlement.. then in 08 I was heading to Madiera from the Algarve and hit some bad weather with waves over deck.. within 24 hrs the fore half of the boat developed heavy yellow/brown staining on hull and deck.. assumed chemical spillage as lots of shipping.. got to Funchal and rang them.. a surveyor was flown out in 48hrs.. turned out to be caused by a bare wire contacting the pulpit.. never knew it could act that fast or so dramaticaly.. even started breaking down the ali toerails..
Not covered which was reasonable as I should not have just made a cursory check after being dragged onto the previous month in Olhau.. did not notice the pinched wire when I returned my bow nav lights to the 'unbent' position... Duhh.
However.. no effect on my premium or their wllingness to give me cover..
I cannot fault them..
Things change though mate. Check your policy every year they do move key risks around from what I have seen with them in just 3 years let alone 7 or 8.

For example the boat next to us was stuck by lightning last year so I double checked my policy. NO COVERAGE. 2 years earlier with the german mob it was covered (because Im Australian resident they made me change companies even though boat in Europe). Similar issues with civil unrest, wars etc - Boats in Turkey so this is now a slightly elevated risk from a few years ago.

etc etc

Check your policies people and done assume they stay the same and dont assume that because the UK version of Pantyarse or wherever is good that they all are. they arent.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 17:15   #60

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

We've been insured with pantyarse (good one Monte lol) for a few years now mainly because they're the only ones that would ensure us on a swing mooring north of 26.0 south. Never made a claim (came close!) but have found them very easy to deal with when negotiating the reports they need and some other technicalities. Whilst their PDS certainly became more restrictive once they Au branch set up, they're better than nothing and certainly better than dodgy Northern Reef and the ilk. In fact except for named storm exclusions if on the mooring (and they always send a friendly text message to remind me of this when an approaching storm is coming) I don't think they're worse than anyone else for our purposes. Although I have told a few local boat owning acquaintances who have been unsuccessful in gaining insurance for to give them a try and they have been rejected but to be honest the boats in question where a bit dicey to begin with in some cases.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan