Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 18:23   #106
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pantaenius is a Selective & Elective Joke Can someone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Try getting insurance as a solo sailor. Easy enough if I stay close to home, but as soon as we're talking 'cruising', nobody wants your business (risk) ...

Which is funny, considering, cos a brand new and very expensive boat with an inexperienced crew of 2 or more will get happily accepted - an expensive risk.
Solo sailor on a cheap boat which is of no real risk to any company no matter what: no joy.

Oh, woe is me ...
Lizzy.. its likely more down to you than the boat (if the boat has an in date survey).. your offshore hours, day and night.. mileage, certificates etc etc.. if not acceptable for full cover then you should at least be able to get liability only.. which you will need for ports and marina's.... if you cannot even get liability then your hours/experience level must be lower than they'll consider for solo.
As for full cover solo.. your only covered out to the 200 mile mark.. after that your on your own..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 18:57   #107

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Pantaenius is a Selective & Elective Joke Can someone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lizzy.. its likely more down to you than the boat (if the boat has an in date survey).
Liability isn't the issue, that I can find, but I'd like the boat insured as well.
Not going to happen, most if not all companies exclude solo sailing. Experience etc. doesn't matter - never even get to that point.

I can get the insurance if I sail with pre-approved (!) crew ... Ain't nobody got time for that

It's something every solo sailor I know has had to deal with; most ended up leaving w/out insurance. A couple ended up with (a very expensive) policy from Pant, if I'm not mistaken. So I'll just have to avoid them rocks, I suppose
Old 24-02-2016, 19:24   #108

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I would think that one of the reasons for insurance companies avoiding hull insurance on less expensive boats is that the premiums are small but the normal policy maintenance paper work and the loss paperwork and legal hassles of a loss on a $5000 hull may be similar to that required for a $100,000 hull with much larger premiums. It just may be a factor of synergy of scale.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 01:23   #109

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It might be a synergy of scale. But it also might be a bit of chauvinism downing Lizzy.

Dag nab it !

Ann
Old 25-02-2016, 05:59   #110
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Panteanius will not cover a solo sailor for a crossing.. however full cover for solo is available from them.. I've had it..
Westerly Longbow.. Beneteau 331.. to name just 2.. the Bendi was in the BVI's when I bought and insured it.. solo'd back to Europe and the following year solo'd Portugal, Madeira, Azores, UK.. your insured up to 200 miles as I have said.. and that's where 95% of the risks lie.. the open Ocean is relatively risk free.. one of the reasons I tell 'Wannabe's' "Don't invest more than you can afford to lose in your 'Cruising Dream'..!!"

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-02-2016, 06:38   #111

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
... while an inexperienced crew of two on a very expensive new boat tend to be wimps that are afraid of sailing in anything than in fair weather.
IMHO, the inexperienced sailors have absolutely no idea what they are getting themselves into, and blindly head out to keep on their "schedule". They don't understand the implications of the wind speed or direction. From what I've seen, these are the guys who need to be rescued. I've seen guys on brand new boats do incredibly stupid things.

Apparently, no one in the insurance industry has spent a weekend hanging around a marina on a windy day.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:56   #112
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post

Apparently, no one in the insurance industry has spent a weekend hanging around a marina on a windy day.
You seriously expect a bunch of office workers to switch off their screens and chats, de-Velcro their asses from comfy seats.. pile on winter clothes and leave the office for anything other than the trip home...
If they EVER did that.. especially civil servants and politicians maybe the world would not be in the mess it is for Joe Public.. apart from the peace and shelter of their 'Gated Communities'..

Tags
morgan