Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07   #16

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: Pantaenius is a Selective & Elective Joke Can someone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAFMIAMI View Post
I am in the market for insurance and after a not successful attempt of find insurance with common calls I saw on Youtube a commercial for this insurance called Pantaenius, I filled up an application and sent in very excited just to get the following back.
--------
Dear Ms. Hamann,

Thank you for considering Pantaenius America for your yacht insurance needs. Unfortunately, due to underwriting guidelines, we must decline your request for coverage.

Once again, we thank you for considering Pantaenius America for your yacht insurance needs and please do not hesitate to contact our office with any quesions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Joanne McHugh

PANTAENIUS America Ltd.
500 Mamaroneck Avenue | Harrison, NY 10528 | United States of America
Tel. +1 (914) 3812066 | Pantaenius - Best American Yacht Insurance Company

I called in because I was in shock with this answer! I am not a criminal, never had a problem or claim with insurances of any kind at all so, why not even a motive was listed? So I called and they are very rude with a totally careless for your business kind of attitude, I was in shock!

They say nothing and answer all your question and concerns with another question! Basically as I could understand they wont insure vessels under $150,000.00 Specially in Florida! The impression I had is that unless my boat is under my bed in my bedroom they wont even consider my application! LOL

So where to go to have my 1973 Morgan value of 60,000 on the way to Miami insured?? Marinas do not even want it at their place without insurance!

Anyone?

Pantaenius is a German Insurance broker. Every Insurer looks carefully at the details of the Owner and the Object. Therefore you have to fill in correctly a Proposal Form first.

Age and Typ of the Boat, Owner experience, homeport and location of the Berth.

You also have to inform the insurer, if you have been rejected before from an Insurance cover and if you have claimed before.

Also the cover for your Sailing area is important. It is better to take a small sailing area first and try to extend this later.

Sometimes they even look where you live.

That is the way how accepting a risk for Yacht Insurance works.

The broker has to find parties who take a share in the risks of the portfolio. Sometimes there are limits to get objects in an insurance pool. Age and/or Type of Boat par exemple.

The USA is regarded as a high risk area with high amounts for Hull and Third party claims.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:23   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Contact CF members: (Al) Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Al Golden or (Susan) Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: TabbyCat At
IMIS
Telephone
410-827-3757 or
800-541-4647 toll free in USA & Canada
Fax machine 410-827-3758
Email
general: mail@IMIS.pro
Al Golden, President & Agent: Al@IMIS.pro
Susan Waters, Agent: Susan@IMIS.pro

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:29   #18

I'm not sure where the OP is located, but in the States, Sea Tow has an insurance affiliate named Sea Insure. Their coverage is equal to my previous carrier and the price was much better (especially after two 20% premium increases in each of the last two years by my prior carrier... Travelers). I only boat in a limited area but still might be worth a call for you. I believe you may need to be a Sea Tow member, which I am. There's a Sea Insure site.

[edit] Just reviewed the original post and saw Netherlands.. so Sea Insure may not be an option.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:42   #19

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

+1 for Xthewater on Progressive Insurance for liability only. One quick phone call and you're covered. Marinas only care about liability. If your 33 year old boat sinks in one of their slips or stacks up on their break wall, they know they won't be entirely out of pocket for removing it.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05   #20

Boat: Boatless

I have insured through Kolish Insurance Brokerage in Coral Gables, FL for years with good service and pricing. (I keep my sloop in Coconut Grove, FL year round.) Call Joe at (305) 992-3482. But know that most insurance companies will require a recent survey, particularly for a boat as old as yours and at that $ value.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:15   #21

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Contact CF members: (Al) Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: Al Golden or (Susan) Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: TabbyCat At
IMIS
Telephone
410-827-3757 or
800-541-4647 toll free in USA & Canada
Fax machine 410-827-3758
Email
general: mail@IMIS.pro
Al Golden, President & Agent: Al@IMIS.pro
Susan Waters, Agent: Susan@IMIS.pro
I can second a recommendation for IMIS. The owners are ex-cruisers and very understanding of what we all need, and one of the highest rated for no hassle payouts...

As an aside and related to this thread, due diligence drives me to obtain quotes from different carriers every couple of years to make sure I have the best coverage. I did receive a quote from Pantaenius recently, and they were competitive. I'm loyal to IMIS and glad to see their rates for the coverage received are competitive as well...

Best wishes finding the insurance you desire.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 12-01-2016, 09:27   #22

Go through Boat/US. Doubt if anyone has ever been turned down. Cheap rates also.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57   #23

Boat: Gulf 32

BoatUS (I have used for smaller trailer sailor, but not bigger keelboat, and have never had to use them for a claim) are easy enough to deal with, and claim to cover "consequential damages"... if you're going above liability only this seems pretty key, as that means they'll cover damages that result from a single event (whether that event is covered or not)...

As example, if you have a through hull fail most every insurer calls that through hull failure "wear and tear" and it is not covered by an insurance policy... most policies that don't cover consequential damages will therefore say that anything that results from that through hull failure is not covered because the initial problem was not covered. So... your through hull fails, your boat sinks at the dock, no repairs will be covered because the initial event was not covered because it's considered wear and tear.

That being said, I did not go with BoatUS for our Gulf 32 because I had heard from some people that they are now owned by Geico and claims servicing is difficult... not direct experience with that myself but that's what I've heard.

I went with Premiere Marine insurance through Robinson Maurer Weltsin in Seattle... Premiere covers consequential damages as well, quote was slightly higher than BoatUS but service when getting the policy was excellent (have not had any claims with them).

FWIW.

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05   #24

Boat: Lagoon 410
Thumbs down Re: Pantaenius is a Selective & Elective Joke Can someone help?

I currently have Pantaenius and just received a notice that they will not renew my policy becaues the hull value of the boat is less than $250,000. They are offering me a policy called Pantaenius Select which has far less coverage at a higher price.
lagoon410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:15   #25

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

That was my experience with Pantaenius too. Every one raves about them, even recommending them for liability only policies, but I got the same form letter as the OP.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:36   #26

Boat: Oday 25

Call Gowrie Barden and Brett in Westbrook, Ct. 860 399 5945. They have a couple of people who only do boat insurance with various carriers. They have insured my last boat and my current one at less than Boat US and with better coverage
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:10   #27

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler

Every insurer has it's limits: experience of owner, size of vessel, past claims, weather in the area where you live, survey/no survey, etc. Insurers ask questions, so they can see if you fit their profile or if they must send you on down the road. If you don't want to do the footwork yourself, go to a reliable independent agent. These folks will know who will insure you and who will not.

Even in Alaska, where most of the rules in life are not followed, you have to have liability insurance to sit as a transient in a marina in any town of size (2,000 people or more). It's the responsible thing to do --- yes? Marina may not "ask the question," but they will take your boat (no seizure, no sheriff, no nada) if you damage someone elses vessel, or dump your fuel into the harbor.
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:22   #28

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Pantaenius also rejected my boat because of being in Florida year-round in a marina rather than pulled out. Also had a huge wind deductible. Plenty of others to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:36   #29

Insurance companies can be like that. I requested a quote from another insurer, but they said they couldn't give me a quote until I had a new survey done. (Last survey 6 years ago, but current insurer is fine with that.)

I said I would certainly get a survey if I was changing insurers, but would only be changing insurer if I had been offered a better policy. Couldn't they just give me an estimate assuming the boat was Ok and the value was as stated?

They refused. So basically, no survey no quote, but no quote, no survey.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:39   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

This will not be of any use to the OP, but since we are discussing Pantaenius, I switched to them recently and within months had a claim.

The way they handled the claim (discussed in another thread) was exemplary; really above and beyond what I think their obligations were. Including being extremely gracious toward the party who caused the loss, something which I thought was a real sign of class, because that's not even their client.

Premium cost is not significantly greater than any of the others, and they did not ask me for a survey. They increased my cruising area all the way to Russia, free of charge, and they allow me to single hand.

Just one data point, but I have been really very please and impressed by this company, based on this experience.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan