Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 07:03   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Pantaenius Insurance -- Mega Kudos

I just received an email from my insurance company concerning my accident with the fishing boat. The accident was discussed here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-154756.html

I am in shock over the contents of this message.

They said that because of the seamanship and good faith showed by all parties, they decided to waive my deductible and preserve my (large) no claims bonus, treating the accident as if the boat were moored. And they decided not to pursue any claim against the fisherman.

How do you like that?

This is the first time I've ever had a claim under a boat policy, so don't have anything to compare this experience to. But it seems awfully bloody good of them. Certainly far beyond what I would have ever expected.

I am especially happy for the fisherman, who despite the double foibles of having smashed into me, and not having insurance, didn't really deserve this, since he was only trying to help.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Re: Pantaenius Insurance -- Mega Kudos

Wow! That is awesome. Sadly I don't expect other insurance companies would have been so kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 21:44   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

WOW, DOCKHEAD! Congratulations!

SUPER POST!!!!

Ann
Old 04-11-2015, 23:21   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I am getting quotes for boat insurance for our RTW. I've heard other good stories about Pantaenius. They are a little ont he expensive side - but it may very well be worth it if their claim service is as good as the stories tell.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:51   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

I also have a great experience with Pantaenius to relate. My Stevens 47 experienced partial flooding (above the cabin sole) and they paid my claim reasonably promptly and completely. I can't say enough good things about them. And they renewed my policy after the claim at the same rate.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:53   #6

Boat: Gulf 32

Like ;-)
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:54   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

That's pretty outstanding
Old 05-11-2015, 08:10   #8

Hi Dockhead
Yes, good of them, but I have heard many other cruisers have not been so lucky with Pantaenius. We have insured with Admiral Marine in the UK for the last 7 years and we had a claim as a result of a direct lightning strike in the Maldives this year. Admiral have been brilliant, no quibbles, worked with me to have spare parts shipped in from all over the world, together with an engineer to fit from NZ. Their premiums are also cheaper than Pantaenius. Thank you Admiral
Pipistrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:40   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

That is fantastic!
It also shows the differences between offices of the same company. Our own experience with Pantaenius (Monoco) was not so good after a Turkish yard dropped our boat onto the hard and then, for good measure, whilst working on an adjacent boats teak deck they dropped the other boats mast and the spreaders punched a hole through our saloon windows. We had a nightmare sorting the claim out with Pantaenius and have not used them since.
It obviously dependent upon which branch you use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I just received an email from my insurance company concerning my accident with the fishing boat. The accident was discussed here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ce-154756.html

I am in shock over the contents of this message.

They said that because of the seamanship and good faith showed by all parties, they decided to waive my deductible and preserve my (large) no claims bonus, treating the accident as if the boat were moored. And they decided not to pursue any claim against the fisherman.

How do you like that?

This is the first time I've ever had a claim under a boat policy, so don't have anything to compare this experience to. But it seems awfully bloody good of them. Certainly far beyond what I would have ever expected.

I am especially happy for the fisherman, who despite the double foibles of having smashed into me, and not having insurance, didn't really deserve this, since he was only trying to help.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:28   #10

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Great news to hear about an Insurance Company that behaves in a reasonable manner and seems to be customer focused. Maybe your 12700 posts on this forum helped your case. Not a good idea for them to be in the bad books of such a well known sailor! As we would say in Ireland, am I bad minded or what?
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:32   #11

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
I am getting quotes for boat insurance for our RTW. I've heard other good stories about Pantaenius. They are a little ont he expensive side - but it may very well be worth it if their claim service is as good as the stories tell.
PM me with the results of you search for best RTW insurance, Im doing the same as I hope to get going 2016. Pantaenius is looking good from where I am at present.
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:33   #12

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I've had a good experience with Pantaenius as well. Their claims process was easy, non-adversarial, and expedient.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:26   #13

Boat: Kings Legend 41

Pantaenius in the US would not insure my Kings Legend 41 because it was too old...1985. No questions about its condition or of having a survey done...just a flat refusal. So they get no kudos from me.
ohharry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 13:48   #14

Just yesterday Pantaenius cancelled my insurance with them WHY?
- Re: Confirmation of cancellation of Sail & Motor Yacht Insurance Ref. *****

We confirm that this insurance is cancelled by 06 November 2015 due to:
Underwriters have declined to offer renewal terms.
This notice came through at 16.42 on the 6th November...

I have a Moody 45DS well maintained and sailed regularly.
I have attempted to make one claim with them due to a furler / forestay jamming and the jib shredded as we were unable to retrieve it in a force 8.
Because we were doing a passage to Vanuatu Pantaenius had tripled the Access and then would not pay out any insurance because they said that each was an each individual claim and the cost of the furler, Forestay and sail replacements were all under the access.

I accepted this grudgingly and have now returned to the Whitsunday Islands where sailing is as good as it gets - so what is the deal - cancelling it at the 11 hour - very rude and unprofessional - would not recommend them
Heather Suttton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 14:33   #15

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Pantaenius are top notch, that has been my experience
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance