Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 12:22   #61

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Opinions on Radar

If you like the Simrad/B&G chartplotters, they are available with conventional radar or 3G/4G broadband.

I never hear much about the conventional Simrad radar anymore, just 4G.

Anyone using one, commercial or recreational?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 13:50   #62

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
The pictures below show the Simrad SS display (bow up) when we anchored next to Isla San Martin off Baja. Our C-Map charts around Baja are often off by 1 Nm or more so anchoring at night in a new place without radar is not an option.

The same anchorage shown in Charlies Charts is below

Being able to see how far from the shoreline we are (making sure the water depth falls off rapidly so we don't run aground) and seeing the powerboat 1/8 of a Nm to starboard was wonderful. Picking out the lagoon helped orient us further.

Between paper charts, chartplotter, cruising guides, radar, and depthsounder we usually felt we had enough info to anchor in the dark, but when we didn't we just hovered off shore until daybreak. It does seem to be an unwritten rule that we always arrive well after sunset no matter where we are going. Oh, when in fishing areas someone has to be on the bow with a light to look for floats.

The middle of this linked page shows how "useful" some of the navigation aids are down here. The page does not mention that we used the radar to get range reading when pulling in across the island (which wasn't there) shown on the chartplotter.

Los Gatos & pescador Manuel (Sven)

We've just ordered about $400 of newly surveyed Navy charts for the T-pecker region since we'll be crossing that this coming spring and do not want to have to guess about where to go if it is howling.

-Sven
This is what some of the newer sailors bought up on plotters only fail to understand.

You are using your radar as it should be used to determine reality. What is actually there. Working at night without radar is fraught with danger.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 14:48   #63

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
This is what some of the newer sailors bought up on plotters only fail to understand.

You are using your radar as it should be used to determine reality. What is actually there. Working at night without radar is fraught with danger.

and the us navy's captain of Tubbataha Reef Philippines incident.

no substitute for a good radar. I love my furuno. first one lasted 25 years and had an alarm. nothing new there. I am on my second furuno and love it.
BTW some of the Baja northern sea of cortez islands are way off the digital charts. not even close.
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2013, 15:47   #64

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Hey, someone on the Cruisers Forum expressed an opinion about what I said and it wasn't a flame or put-down ... I'm blushing

-Sven
Old 18-12-2013, 13:48   #65

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyjay View Post
If it's weather you're looking for get Sirius Weather for the MFD. That will give you a lot more time to prepare for weather than radar. I have AIS, Weather and Radar. My order of use is AIS then Weather and lastly radar.
Hate to be lame, but I'm new at this. I see Sirius radio, but nothing for an mfd.
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 13:50   #66

Check that. I just found the site and products.

Thanks
Old 18-12-2013, 13:53   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearnow View Post
Check that. I just found the site and products.
It is just for the US, right ?

-Sven
Old 18-12-2013, 14:14   #68

I'm looking at the Sirrus site and it's unclear. Going to give them a shout. I need complete coverage of the Caribbean.
Old 18-12-2013, 14:52   #69

Boat: Little Harbor 38
We have had the Simrad 4G for two seasons along with AIS and Sirrus weather. This year we cruised Nova Scotia and Cape Brenton. The two things we liked most about the radar are first, very low power consumption. It's so low we often use it sailing, something I never would do with our old Furuno. Secondly, the radar overlay on the chartplotter would confirm reality (as some else already mentioned). Canada's bouys always seem to be in a state of flex and we often found paper charts and the Navionics chip set to be wrong. The radar always showed us if the charts were right or if the bouys had been moved or removed.

We also have two Simrad plot charters. A large one at the nav station and a small one at the helm. At the helm we would run the radar and AIS and if we were expecting bad weather we would leave the Sirrus up on the nav chartplotter to see rain approaching. Very handy. By the way I wish Sirrus would get serious about supplying weather and provide some really good data. I am not impressed by what they offer.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 15:01   #70

I'm lost. You said how handy the Sirrus was but then said your not impressed?
Old 18-12-2013, 15:17   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
We also have two Simrad plot charters. A large one at the nav station and a small one at the helm.
You were driving two chart plotters ? How did you hook them both up ? Simnet ?

We have the NX40 at the helm but it would be fantastic to have a repeater down below.

-Sven
Old 18-12-2013, 17:36   #72

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
I'm a costal cruiser. Until AIS is required for all vessels, it is useless to me. Radar on the other hand is indispensable.
Less useful maybe?
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 18:04   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Okay, I'm sold, I'll have to pick up a 740s with radar package, can't beat the price. I like the looks of the 820 as well, but the pricing is out there as far as I am concerned.
What does the garmin draw with radar and chartplotter running? Add ons, like weather?
Old 18-12-2013, 18:15   #74

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Okay, I'm sold, I'll have to pick up a 740s with radar package, can't beat the price. I like the looks of the 820 as well, but the pricing is out there as far as I am concerned.
It was stated earlier in this thread that the 740s would do MARPA, from everything I have read that is not correct.

The 740s is a great little unit and pretty cheap, West Marine had them on sale for $699 the other day. Don't count on MARPA though.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 18:19   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
We have had the Simrad 4G for two seasons along with AIS and Sirrus weather. This year we cruised Nova Scotia and Cape Brenton. The two things we liked most about the radar are first, very low power consumption. It's so low we often use it sailing, something I never would do with our old Furuno. Secondly, the radar overlay on the chartplotter would confirm reality (as some else already mentioned). Canada's bouys always seem to be in a state of flex and we often found paper charts and the Navionics chip set to be wrong. The radar always showed us if the charts were right or if the bouys had been moved or removed.

We also have two Simrad plot charters. A large one at the nav station and a small one at the helm. At the helm we would run the radar and AIS and if we were expecting bad weather we would leave the Sirrus up on the nav chartplotter to see rain approaching. Very handy. By the way I wish Sirrus would get serious about supplying weather and provide some really good data. I am not impressed by what they offer.
Any idea what it draws with the smaller plotter? What model is that one? Not familiar with simrads products or services. NMEA or something proprietary? Just hearing you say that you sail with it on regularly is meaningful. Having a suite of radar, plotter and AIS running full time while coastal passagemaking and not sucking a bunch of power sounds pretty good to me. Especially for Maine and points east.

Having it serve out wireless for iPhone or iPad is an important feature now and makes it really versatile.

Tags
radar