Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 07:43   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Ocean Review CPT wheel pilot

CPT will sell you a set of boxes as a back up, it's kept in I believe a waterproof box, Idea being if the first breaks, the boxes can be swapped out in five minutes or so and since your not buying a second set of mounts and wheel pulley etc., the cost is cheaper I believe.
My original plan was to have a "real" below decks AP, with the CPT as back-up, I believe I may now shift to having two CPT's, the second stored below as a back up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:45   #17

Boat: csy 37

Another big advantage of the CPT. It's all out there in front of you. No crawling through a lazarette in five foot seas to replace a broken pin. And it's waterproof too, I might add.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 07:11   #18

Boat: Corbin 39

I just purchased a CPT autopilot two weeks ago, took me a half an hour to install it and another 30 minutes to run the wire, hook it up. I just returned from a week of sailing using it daily. It's the first item I've put on the boat that actually installed flawlessly and easily and worked !. Learning how to set it perfectly took very little effort as well. The advice provided on finding the perfect setting for you're boat and the conditions was again , easy and worked!. It was used in light winds , 4 -10 knots as well as winds that just crossed the gale barrier. It handled all wind conditions , no problems with no skipping or jumping of the belt. It had a difficult time, meaning it worked harder in the high winds with the waves on the aft quarter. I tried the unit on all points of sail except DDW because I did not feel I had enough wind in that situation .
Overall I would say I am extremely happy with the unit and on a scale of one to ten I would not hesitate to rate it a 9 . I also have a monitor and a large under deck auto pilot , I believe in a lot of redundancy. This system is simple, and standalone relies on no other system to operate, which for me is a big plus. It's power draw was more in the big winds , I would guess 30% of my under deck and very very little in lower winds,I would guess 2-3 amps . I would tend to use my monitor in the open ocean for everything but lighter winds the CPT will most likely see most of the other use with my under deck becoming a system rarely used.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel