Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2008, 17:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Excellent resource - the survey & everything else the SSCA provides.

Are you a member Gord?

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 17:56   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Thank you Jack for clarifying some of my misconceptions but if I understand correctly;

1/…Non-members can contribute to the Discussion Board on technical as well as useful information on cruising Destinations…but…

2/… You need to be a paid up member, to reap the rewards of receiving cruising Information via the Bulletins that can be Organized and searched.

Seems to me that you are encouraging volunteer information from both members and non-members but then are using the |non-profit “Club format” to sell that information via membership dues.

It is a ticklish problem to find the right balance and I don’t have the solution for packaging your services in a way that people can buy without becoming a member, butI would rather freely share my Cruising experiences here at CF with others who hopefully can reciprocate in one way or another.

Fair Winds !
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 19:00   #18

Quote:
I think the real value today of any association are the contributions via Discussion Boards from experienced members who graciously offer their advice on subjects to other members who are unsure of the steps or priorities needed for a successful outcome...... even if just to be advised on the added research they must do.
Between this forum, Sailnet and Sailing Anarchy I thinks it's pretty well possible to answer most questions and some of the respondents have pretty impressive backgrounds. For the questions that can't be answered on one of those three forums there is also BoatDesign.net.

That said, there is a significant segment of the population that appreciate the order and sense of belonging offered by formal enrolment in an organisation. So for those folks it would be a good thing.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 22:33   #19

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
The SSCA bulletin is a goldmine of information when you are actually out there sailing to exotic destinations around the world.

Wherever we have sailed, we always consult the SSCA monthly bulletin that covers that area of the world. Many times we selected our stops based on information found in the bulletin.

Getting accurate information about possible destinations isn't always easy, but the SSCA monthly bulletin is a good place to get started.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote