Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 06:03   #1

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
New Lifesling 2 bag

West Marine finally came out with an affordable replacement bag that doesn't cost $50. It lasts just as long as the expensive version, too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1478786621056.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	135721
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:22   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: New Lifesling 2 bag

Good find! Problem is every time it rains you need a new one, and for this you need to keep shopping there - approaching the $50 break even could be quick or not depending on the weather. Always a compromise!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:25   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
West Marine finally came out with an affordable replacement bag that doesn't cost $50. It lasts just as long as the expensive version, too.
Attachment 135721
LMAO good one
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:25   #4

The original doesn't last much longer though.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

On the upside, it's more UV resilient. The downside no one mentioned -- you need to have that "West Marine" brand hanging off your stern!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:52   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Ohhh...now I know what to do with the darned thing!
Old 10-11-2016, 08:21   #7

I have a lifesling. I'm not sure how old it is. Did I buy It new? Was it on the boat I bought about Ten years ago? Not sure. Sling is in Good Condition, Line is in Good condition.
But I know for sure i just bought a new bag about a month ago, after a friend commented on Facebook she just made a replacement bag out of Sunbrella.
I think the bag holds up about 3 to 4 years on the Chesapeake. Outside all year. Looks good for maybe 3 years, and keeps the sun off the lifesling for another year or two, in a visible state of decay. In Tropical area, probably much less.
I thought about making a Sunbrella bag, and just didnt have time. Maybe next time.
How long does your bag last?
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:25   #8

My local tarp guy is going to make me one out of Sunbrella for $50. The basic one West Marine sells is made out of vinyl, it doesn't last long. Maybe a couple of years. For $10 more , my new one will last at least a decade.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:39   #9

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

How about no bag, different approach. I have a full size yellow horseshoe buoy to which I tied a 120ft. of new good quality yellow polyproprylene line and then to the base of my rear pulpit. The prior horseshoe buoy lasted at least 25 years. I sail in Buzzards Bay so it's only out in the sun and weather May to the end of October. But no bag and more bouyancy than a Life-Sling.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:26   #10

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

I only put mine out when sailing.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:14   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailsout View Post
I only put mine out when sailing.
Ditto on this. UV is hell on that plastic material. I bought my boat with the Life Sling bag in tatters, then just about choked when I bought a new one. Now I keep it inside although the tabs that hook it to the stanchions are starting to rip. Next time, I will definitely make something from more durable material and sew that nice instruction info onto the inside of the bag.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:42   #12

Boat: Valiant 42

If ever there was a need for a decent product at a decent price it would be Life Sling storage cover. Those things are expensive and pretty close to worthless in the sun. Hope the manufacturer is reading this thread. They make a good product that is ruined by a crummy package.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59   #13

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Check out the price on the fiberglass holders. Very expensive and they don't even include rail mounts. Surely this is an opportunity for someone to take off this market since so many of us have the Lifesling.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:10   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpcx View Post
I have a lifesling. I'm not sure how old it is. Did I buy It new? Was it on the boat I bought about Ten years ago? Not sure. Sling is in Good Condition, Line is in Good condition.
But I know for sure i just bought a new bag about a month ago, after a friend commented on Facebook she just made a replacement bag out of Sunbrella.
I think the bag holds up about 3 to 4 years on the Chesapeake. Outside all year. Looks good for maybe 3 years, and keeps the sun off the lifesling for another year or two, in a visible state of decay. In Tropical area, probably much less.
I thought about making a Sunbrella bag, and just didnt have time. Maybe next time.
How long does your bag last?
You'll be glad you did. Ours, that came with the boat, was a replacement for the original, and has been on the boat since we bought it, 13 yrs. ago. The Sunbrella (dark red) is a little faded, but the fabric's still good. I had to re-stitch parts of the cover earlier this year, and if you use Tenara (ptfe) thread, it'll last even longer. It seems to me I saw that that SailRite website has instructions for making one, too.

Ann
Old 10-11-2016, 14:53   #15

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
Attachment 135721
That is pretty funny.

Interestingly, although West Marine does sell a vinyl bag for $50, they also sell a Sunbrella Lifesling bag for around $80. The reviews for the Sunbrella bag are positive. They also point out that the instructions are on the outside of the bag. The reviews also point out that the vinyl bag is inferior to the original and is made in communist China, so I guess the inferiority isn't surprising.

They also sell a fiberglass case but it is over $200.

I have a slightly earlier version with some type of plastic case. That likely isn't as good as a fiberglass case but I'm not about to run out and buy the GRP (fiberglass) case unless the plastic one dies and or I win the lottery.

On the other hand, I can probably replace many of the bags in your photo without even coming close to the cost of a new bag!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote