Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 21:20   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Sooo....

Sooo how does this impact sites like Panbo or magazines like Practical Sailor where vendors ship their products to be tested without charging PS or Panbo for the product. Would that not be considered "payment"? Perhaps PS ships some of the equipment back after testing but then some manufacturers don't want it back. Could that create a "bias" to review more products by companies that let you keep the goods..? I don't know, just asking an honest question?

Do you think PS just chucks this stuff in the dumpster when they are done? Probably not, someone on the staff probably has that piece of equipment on their boat and is getting use out of it somewhere. Payment for support? Hopefully not.... I don't see it that way but if the FTC does I do have an issue with that because PS brings good value... Where do you draw the line?

How about the "turn my stomach" rave reviews in sailing rags when the customer is an advertiser? What about the automobile magazines? They are the worst at being "industry whores" and giving a product a rave review, with a wink and a nod, perhaps in return for continued revenue.

Why not go after companies already making unsubstantiated claims or the ones who intentionally mislead customers such as Dr. LED..? It seems we can't enforce the rules we already have in place if someone like Dr. LED can mislead thousands of boaters into believing all his Polarstar LED lights are USCG certified when in fact only ONE BULB in ONE FIXTURE is... but I digress..

Yep lets add more BS because we can't even enforce the in-place rules we already ignore...
Old 06-10-2009, 22:14   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Oh, Oh how many new prisons do we need to build to hold all the fishermen. And what about those who caused women to think that 6 inches is equal to the length of their thumb. . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote