Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2015, 14:55   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: NC
Boat: 1974 Morgan Out Island 33
Posts: 552
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Very useful especially if the user happens to be asleep, ashore at the tiki bar
I try not to sleep at tiki bars
__________________

__________________
Order tends to Chaos. On the ocean it happens twice as fast.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 15:06   #32
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I try not to sleep at tiki bars
That just means you're either a party machine or you're departing prematurely.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 17:08   #33
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
No, I am suggesting that your suggestion of ethnocentrism is entirely incorrect and that the fairly sensible suspicion of Chinese made products is well founded based upon recent historical fact. By the way only one product I mentioned as an example was counterfeit. The other two, both of which nearly killed me, were bona fide, over the counter Chinese made garbage.

I think you have misunderstood me. There is NO doubt that China is the king of fake counterfeit items of all sorts and dangerous items. NO DOUBT.

BUT, it's equally clear there are also a lot of bonafide products that come out of China which do meet Australian (some of the worlds highest safety standards) and US/Canada criteria.

With this product you seem to be dismissing it for not other reason than it's built in China? Based on an experience you have had of a totally different product built in China that was not safe?

That is certainly heading towards ethnocentrism. It's a bit like the claim from Harley Davidson MC that Asian or 'Jap' bikes are crap. Whereas Japanese products of almost any sort now days are of the highest standards of both manufacture and safety.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 17:12   #34
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
From your linked document (I did not notice any certification board approval notes):

"Eye contact: Causes eye irritation due to ethylene glycol or propylene glycol content.

First-aid measures : Remove victim to fresh air and provide oxygen if breathing is difficult. Get medical attention.
Inhalation Indigestion:     Give one or two glasses of water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention.

Skin contact: Clean with water and soap.

Eye contact: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 10 minutes while holding lids open. Get medical attention."

So causes severe eye irritation, at least. And is explosive. And refers to a person who comes in contact with its products as a "victim". I know for SURE I wouldn't want this going off in my face as I was trying to put out a fire on board by conventional (and proven effective) means.
It's an MSDS sheet! Do you not know what an MSDS sheet is? NO, they do not have certifications listed in them. They are not for that. They are about 'safety'. And NO, you would not want this going off in your face. The safety directions alone would indicate you should not be around it when it goes off. And YES, it's 'explosive', it's designed to be.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 18:07   #35
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Okay, got another one for y'all:

The Blazecut T-series.

Description | Blazecut

There's a video of it on YouTube suppressing a fire in the engine compartment of a VW Minivan.

Anyone know about it, or have it?

Matt
Thanks Matt, similar sort of thing but without the mess looking at the contents. It's basically an ordinary fire extinguisher that goes off when it melts.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 22:16   #36
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
It's an MSDS sheet! Do you not know what an MSDS sheet is? NO, they do not have certifications listed in them. They are not for that. They are about 'safety'. And NO, you would not want this going off in your face. The safety directions alone would indicate you should not be around it when it goes off. And YES, it's 'explosive', it's designed to be.
So you want this on a boat (by definition a small enclosed space)? How are you going to make sure it doesn't go off in your, or others' face? If intended as a replacement for a clean agent system for engine rooms or the like I would simply ask: Why? If for any other space it seems to me obviously inappropriate for a boat environment.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 22:19   #37
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think you have misunderstood me. There is NO doubt that China is the king of fake counterfeit items of all sorts and dangerous items. NO DOUBT.

BUT, it's equally clear there are also a lot of bonafide products that come out of China which do meet Australian (some of the worlds highest safety standards) and US/Canada criteria.

With this product you seem to be dismissing it for not other reason than it's built in China? Based on an experience you have had of a totally different product built in China that was not safe?

That is certainly heading towards ethnocentrism. It's a bit like the claim from Harley Davidson MC that Asian or 'Jap' bikes are crap. Whereas Japanese products of almost any sort now days are of the highest standards of both manufacture and safety.
Where did I say that there were not good products from China? But that there are so many suspect means that those which are not yet fully demonstrated to be excellent products (such as this very new idea, for example), must be treated with particular caution. No? Further, how am I dismissing it on that sole criterion? You appear to ignore the completely cogent reasons I put forward, some derived from the product's own literature… You are setting up a strawman from what I said, which is unwarranted. And the ethnocentrism idea is ridiculous. I had previously even thought of using my love of Japanese products as a counterexample, but since you brought it up, meantime: YES! Damn straight! Thanks for another exquisite strawman. Actually you have no idea what my ethnic origins are… so your suggestion of "ethnocentrism" is particularly inappropriate, but please… don't say that one more time… or rather do, if you really like a hostage to fortune.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 22:58   #38
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think you have misunderstood me. There is NO doubt that China is the king of fake counterfeit items of all sorts and dangerous items. NO DOUBT.

BUT, it's equally clear there are also a lot of bonafide products that come out of China which do meet Australian (some of the worlds highest safety standards) and US/Canada criteria.

With this product you seem to be dismissing it for not other reason than it's built in China? Based on an experience you have had of a totally different product built in China that was not safe?

That is certainly heading towards ethnocentrism. It's a bit like the claim from Harley Davidson MC that Asian or 'Jap' bikes are crap. Whereas Japanese products of almost any sort now days are of the highest standards of both manufacture and safety.
Apart from my comments above, it has just occurred to me that your assumption regarding my own ethnicity is, well, extraordinarily ethnocentric.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 01:17   #39
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Apart from my comments above, it has just occurred to me that your assumption regarding my own ethnicity is, well, extraordinarily ethnocentric.
I made NO assumptions about your ethnicity what so ever. I apologise for any offence you received. It certainly wasn't my intent.

ethnocentrism has nothing to do with whatever your ethnicity might be. Nothing at all. I think your confusing what I said with some kind of 'racism' implication. And that certainly was not my meaning or intent.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 01:40   #40
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: New fighting fire product

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I made NO assumptions about your ethnicity what so ever. I apologise for any offence you received. It certainly wasn't my intent.

ethnocentrism has nothing to do with whatever your ethnicity might be. Nothing at all. I think your confusing what I said with some kind of 'racism' implication. And that certainly was not my meaning or intent.
__________________

__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kerosene... Fighting the Good Fight! bcripps Provisioning: Food & Drink 32 16-01-2013 19:27
Wife + Holding Tank = Fighting With Me unbusted67 Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 40 05-08-2012 17:53
refer fighting autopilot stacy Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 5 11-04-2012 08:09
Alcohol Stoves and Fighting Fires gmalan The Sailor's Confessional 41 06-02-2009 11:53



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.