Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 09:20   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Memory Foam...How much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
We did not do a custom mattress because we can not try out the results. If you can go to a show room.and feel what you are getting I would spend whatever it takes for a good nights sleep.
That is why I have not yet either, however the place I think we will use is in Ft Lauderdale and I expect to visit them when I am having my chainplates replaced this Summer, then after trying, I may spend some money
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 09:31   #17

Maybe a regular foam topper with the memory under would not be so hot.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 09:43   #18

Boat: Currently in between

I'm with Rwidman and A64; you spend a full 1/3 of your life in bed. Why shouldn't it be the best possible sleep you can get?

Funny thing about a new mattress, you walk in the store, lay down on 2 or 3 for a moment or two and then are expected to spend a grand or two on something that will be with you for the next 8 years. Crazy, huh?
Old 13-03-2017, 10:00   #19

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I found that the Froli springs added as much comfort to my boat mattress as the memory topper did to home mattress
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:16   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post

Funny thing about a new mattress, you walk in the store, lay down on 2 or 3 for a moment or two and then are expected to spend a grand or two on something that will be with you for the next 8 years. Crazy, huh?
I don't know man, sounds a lot like getting Married
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:21   #21

Love the Ikea slats mentioned. Much less expensive than Froili. The Lonset model lets you adjust the slat firmness for different weights. It takes an hour with a handsaw to cut the 1/4" thick slats to fit the berth. Straps can be cut to make lift out sections for storage access.

I also think memory foam sleeps hot although I hear there are new versions. Much prefer latex. You can glue multiple toppers together to make a mattress. Easier to cut than thick foam. Mine is layered - regular foam, 2" latex topper, and 2" Lux eggcrate foam topper. The eggcrate seems to sleep coolest. It's so cheap that I don't use a mattress pad. Just replace every few years if it looks tired.

I got the foam from here. Free US shipping over $75

Hypo-Allergenic Latex Mattress Toppers | FoamFactory Inc.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 10:28   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

For those who missed it, there was an excellent related thread on foam mattresses by Uncivilized, the Cates, and other excellent contributors just a few months ago ....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ss-175125.html

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 11:06   #23

Just some usefull info on cutting foam.

Use an electric knife, so easy.

And to insert into cover spray teflon on foam first.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 12:03   #24

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
...........Funny thing about a new mattress, you walk in the store, lay down on 2 or 3 for a moment or two and then are expected to spend a grand or two on something that will be with you for the next 8 years.
This is true, but we went to a company that both sells mattresses and manufactures custom sized mattresses for homes and hotels, etc.. They have been in business for years and have a good reputation. It was somewhat of a risk but it turned out fine. They asked a few questions and then made a recommendation.

In our case, it is a two piece V-berth with a rectangular cutout to make it easier to climb into the berth. Not something easily home made. Cutting the foam wouldn't be so difficult but the cover and binding takes special equipment and skill.
Old 13-03-2017, 12:40   #25

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquestaer View Post
When I had new mattresses made a few years ago, the foam shop that I worked with recommended 2 inches of memory foam on top of 4 inches of regular foam. It turned out to be the most comfortable mattress that I've ever slept on.
We did 5 and 3, from foamorder.net, in Tarpon Springs; they custom cut to my pattern/instructions (angles of the hull and berth shape) so I have support out to the leaning walls fore and aft.

Agree that it's the most comfortable mattress we ever slept on, and we miss it every time we leave the boat.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 12:52   #26

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I haven't fully investigated this yet, but friends in the tropics swear by the Froli option. I am considering slats in fabric belts ($15 at IKEA) as stand-offs and a couple of dozen holes drilled into the cool space underneath the double berth as a way to avoid condensation.
I have no experience with Froli.

But I do have extensive experience with VentAir, now called Hypervent, and at least on the east coast, the best vendor is Defender:

Defender.com Search Results: hypervent

We installed in 2006, and have bought more, since, for our salon seating; even if you have a leak (letting in actual water vs mere condensation) your bedding will remain dry. I can't imagine something sitting on a slat would not develop wet spots for the area which can't breathe - but as I said, we have no experience with Froli...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 12:53   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

We bought a fullsize mattress, 4" foam plus 2" memory foam zipped into a cloth cover for the aft cabin. Love it!
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 13:45   #28

Boat: Taswell 43

When we had new mattresses made in Puerto Rico, the 4" foam+1.5" of closed cell on the bottom(we're both side sleepers) proved to be OK....but hard. We hit K-Mart, bought a 1.5" memory foam topper, cut it to match, and sewed a bag around the whole thing. It's only been 4.5 months, but so far, it works great. Not hot, not cold, soft on top, and hips do not feel the bottom boards. And cheap!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 19:59   #29

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

We went with a 6" latex mattress from foam factory after finding that memory foam is way to hot and the moisture retention. Foam factory had the best price with free shipping. Another one of those "why didn't we do this years ago!!". All we did was use an electric carving knife and put it into the old covers after taking out the ancient existing foam. Also put the froli system underneath and it's the best bed I've ever slept in, no more aches and pains. Highly recommend!
Fair winds
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 20:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If memory serves, it's going to cost me upwards of $3K for a real Latex custom made mattress.
But I spend up to a 1/3 of my remaining life there, so should I cut corners?
that quote seems kind of high. i just had a local foam shop make a 4 inch natural latex foam mattress for my quarter berth with a sunbrella cover for about a boat unit. definitely worth the extra money, in my book. i bought a natural latex mattress for the v berth about the same time as i bought urethane foam for the settees. the urethane has worn out (recently replaced by latex) and the v berth is as good as new, ten years later.
delmag is offline   Reply With Quote