Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2016, 19:59   #1

Matching unknown bottom paint

Hi

I am looking to haul my sailboat out for a bottom job. It will be the first time i do this since i bought her, so i don't know what type of bottom paint is down there other than it is an ablative paint which is almost gone in some places exposing the grey primer. I want to go with ablative paint again this time, but given the uncertainty of the previous paint, i don't really know what to do. I've considered from what i have read to sand as much as possible and use primocon and painting over it. Or using a chemical stripper and starting all over from scratch. My aim is to do the job correctly in order to get the most bang for my buck, and not have to re-haul for this reason sooner than expected.

Any thoughts?
AlenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 17:59   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Matching unknown bottom paint

What is your hull material?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 18:25   #3

I believe ablative is ablative! In that any ablative will work an other. I have ablative on our hull, and switch brands according to best price, at the time. I have not had an issue.!
Also what OrionJim said!!!!!!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 10:26   #4

The hull is fiver glass. As far as i can tell underwater with monthly cleanings its in good shape. I have been reading about barrier coats having a limited life span and so forth. What is your opinion on copper coat vs ablative paint. And is tuere any additive that can be used to optimise the ablative bottom paint.
AlenH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint