Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 20:50   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
Marine Parts Depot

They (the Marine Parts Depot) advertise very good prices on stainless steel marine hardware. They claim that "Marine Part Depot is the stainless steel marine manufacturer and produce a wide range of top quality stainless steel marine hardware for marine parts brand name and marine parts manufacturers in US." From the broken English you might guess they're in China, but the address is in California.

Can anyone relate any first hand experience buying from them or using their products?
Old 03-09-2011, 21:55   #2

Boat: searching...
Re: Marine Part Depot

If you google them you find the following (same web layout):
Turquois, Inc is a Far Infrared Mineral Lamp and other Massager therapy equipment distributor dedicated to providing customers with high quality, low cost and excellent service

Indeed, petty cool price's - and I need a new anchor swivel: (New Stainless Steel Big Heavy Duty Anchor Swivel MPD_052Regular price: $169.99 Sale price:$31.99)

I Calculated 100 - 150 US...but see it now for 32 bucks instead of 170....wow!! Will I have my whole life dream depending on such a bargain swivel? Maybe not....sounds to good to be true...but please: convince me that this is a great shop

cheers marco
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:12   #3

Boat: Lagoon 37

I have used them for all kind of bimini hardware and have found thier stuff to be quality merchandise. After a year or so no rust, indicating poor quality, so I have to give them a thumbs up!!!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:29   #4

Boat: Currently boatless

I wouldn't consider buying any safety critical stuff from them, but a lot of the hardware they sell isn't. But the postings on Complaintnow.com are not very encouraging.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:31   #5

Boat: Fast Passage 39 - Cool Change

I'm no expert but, I have purchased bimini and deck hardware over the past four years from them and have no complaints. It appears to be of same quality as more expensive products I have purchased from other companies here in U.S.
SVCoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:37   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I would agree that their prices are a little "too good" to be believed. In fact they are about one third of the wholesale prices on the items which also means they are a little too good to be true unless they got the stuff for nothing (see last paragraph).
- - If SVCoolChange has purchased stuff from them it would be interesting to know if there are any identifying marks or stamps on the items or if it seems they were sanded/ground off.
- - Also their contact address it the same as Turquois, Inc. which Swisscraft mentioned. But that company's whole product range is "Out of Stock." So they have nothing to actually sell. Very suspicious.
- - Close examination of the photos indicates that they "photo-shopped" the trademark off the items.
- - All in all, I find the claim that they are a "manufacturer" not credible since they are piggybacking the webpage and address of another company. Also Google Maps shows the address to be in a residential area with possibly some small retail stores along the highway. Certainly not an area for a stainless steel manufacturing operation.
- - However, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of small "garage" businesses where folks purchase gear/equipment/stuff from surplus or bankruptcy sales and then turn around and sell it on the internet. Since they got the stuff for pennies on the dollar, they can make money even while severely undercutting established businesses.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 08:44   #7

I have bought quite a few things from them. No rust yet, but it has been less than a year.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:38   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

Not saying one how or another what the quality is, as I have no information, but US Customs records indicate the materials probably come from China.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turquoise.PNG
Views:	962
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	31615
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:47   #9

Boat: Rawson 30 Pilothouse - Raven

Be careful! Prices are good, but I had a bad experience: ordered a deck chock from their eBay ad, but it turned out to be much smaller than what I was looking for. I returned it per their instructions, but they drug their feet on the refund past the complaint deadline, so they never refunded my money despite my emails pleading with them.
Bad folks in my opinion.
Raven RawsonPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:19   #10

You know it seems to me that Made in China for anything that doesn't run on batteries is Made to Fail. I can't recall one thing I've bought or had in my lifetime that was MiC that wasn't a throw away P.O.S.. These Chinese manufacturers ..... lead in toys, contaminated items, piss poor steel, ... the list goes on and on.
So until it's proven otherwise, I'm suspect of Anything MiC.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 12:25   #11

Boat: Stevens 47
I've bought from them a few times, I have no complaints.

Doug
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:06   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I suspect there is more then one level of reliability/quality for stuff "made in China." Consider that almost all of our mobile phones, TV, electronics, marine electrics and electronics, hard metal items (all different alloys), clothing, drugs, etc., etc. are all "made in China."
- - I think Walmart would be out of business without "made in China." Along with a lot of other retailers from souvenir stores selling national flags - all "made in China" on up to your marine GPS and other electronics.
- - Even parts for Boeing airliners and avionics are "made in China."
- - Where the western corporations maintain tight control over the Chinese factories, I suspect, the quality is as good as anywhere in the world. But that doesn't stop "knock off" operations or companies that deal in rejects or seconds from shipping out the level of stuff for pennies on the dollar.
- - So like "made in Japan" used to be, "made in China" is a complex label. Some great stuff, some good stuff and some trash. Maybe its that old saying - you get what you pay for . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:27   #13

Re: Marine Parts Depot

Almost certainly whatever you use to read Cruiser's Forum is made in China.

I do not think I would buy an anchor or standing rigging from them, but for hinges, hooks, rail hardware, etc. I will keep buying from them based on my experiences so far.

RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 13:49   #14

Boat: Dufour 34 - Electric propulsion

I've been using their products all around my boat for years. All items have performed flawlessly and even the oldest ones still look like new. I have recommended this company many times. Excellent price and quality.
Alberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 14:06   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I would not trust it for critical applications if you do not know its source.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, parts