Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 13:47   #46

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
My part was shipped to the wrong place. PayPal got involved and gave me my money back.

I ordered one that did not ship for weeks. I reordered it, and the first part shows up, and the second part goes to the wrong place. Then the other style mooring bit ships from defender after a six month back order. So I guess I will quit while I am not hurting. I would like to order more from MPD, but I guess I will forget it.
Old 13-05-2015, 10:21   #47

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38
Re: Marine Parts Depot

May of 2015 just received entire order placed just over one week ago. All items stamped 316 .quality looks good.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2015, 21:55   #48

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

Have ordered a number of Bimini items from them and have no quality complaints. Always paid using PayPal. Twice they sent me the wrong items, I simply disputed the charge with PayPal, Turquoise did not reply to disputes and I received credit and I still have the parts sent by mistake. Don't know where or how to return them

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 05:10   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
... Don't know where or how to return them
Warranty and Return Policy ➥ Warranty and Return Policy

If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we will be happy to accept a return for a full refund.

You can return your purchase for up to 30 days (For Order after March 12,2013) from the purchase date. Products must be in the condition you receive them.

(1) Do not need Return Authorization.

(2) Send the return items to the Return Address:
Turquois, Inc, 28562 Oso Pkwy D-311, Rancho STAN MARG, CA 92688 USA

(3) Send the return items email to: sale@marinepartdepot.com after send the return items to the Return Address

(a) Put "Return Items" as the Subject of the return items email

(b) List the order number, order date

(c) List the return item names and amt

(d) Total of return value

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 20:45   #50

Marine Parts Depot

Gordmay, I should have clarified that tried to contact them by email but received no reply.

Old 20-07-2015, 14:36   #51

I have ordered a lot of rail and bimini hardware from them over the past couple of years with no complaints. On my last order for stainless offset hinges, 3 of the 4 hinges I ordered were manufactured incorrectly with the offset bend going the wrong way rendering the hinge useless. The hinges were also of varying thickness. I took pictures and sent them to them without reply. Am in the process of disputing the credit card charge.
Boater Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 16:02   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have ordered a few parts from them over the years. Parts were all great and no problems in getting them. They were so much cheaper than other places that I was skeptical at first but quality has not been a problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 20:24   #53

These four offset hinges are supposed to be identical. The bottom three are manufactured backwards and are unusable. They don't fully close and you can't access the screws on the short side. Can you see the difference? Crazy!
Click image for larger version

Name:	9CB0F2D4-C40A-4960-B333-C59E656EC59C.png
Views:	361
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	105704
Old 22-07-2015, 14:20   #54

I read this entire thread before placing an order with Marine Parts Depot. I needed more than $500 in parts and I went under the assumption that the savings was so great that it was worth a try because some people had excellent results.

I placed my order on 7/20, it was shipped the same day (they sent me an email to that affect), and I received it today (7/22) by USPS Priority Flat Rate Box. The order was fulfilled exactly as placed. The hardware looked excellent. It will be months before I'll have any definitive knowledge of the corrosion quality.

I was a little concerned when the box arrived because they put a lot of little metal pieces in a box that while did not break open was pretty mangled. I think it could have opened. I don't think that this would be a problem if they used some additional packing material to keep the parts from moving around.

Each part was initially wrapped in bubble wrap which was nice but by the time the package arrived a few pieces were out of their wrap. Still all was in great shape.

I will use them again because of the great savings. It's huge especially if the alternative is simply buying at West Marine. For example, West Marine wanted $62 for a rail mount hinge and I got the best MPD had for $16.86.

I close with this thought. I will buy from them again, but knowing that if something goes wrong it may be difficult to return or get rectified. But the savings is so great that possibility is worth the risk. Also, I recommend that you not use Pay Pal, but instead use a credit card. This makes it easy to dispute if there is a problem (you can follow their return policy and if no result get credit from the credit card company). On the down side, you are giving your credit card number to a not well-known entity. But in that case you too are covered should something go wrong.

Well, that's my 25 cents worth.
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 14:54   #55

Disputing with Pay Pall is very easy on the Internet. Disputed two shipments, had my money back within 30 days. Last time I disputed something with BAC credit card it took three months, several phone calls to call centers and some mailings.

Old 22-07-2015, 21:02   #56

I hear ya mlibkind. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them without incident, and I may buy from them again. But I now feel like I'm rolling the dice, and the manufacturing error on the parts I received does call their sources into question. Has anyone ever connected with customer service by phone or email?
Old 30-08-2015, 13:15   #57

I just received my second order from MPD and here is my experience.

The first order was for over $500 in SST parts and the second for about $50. Both were shipped within a day or two, all orders were complete and accurately fulfilled, and all parts looked excellent.

I would not order load critical parts from them because of the lack of assurance that they are made to specifications. But I would not hesitate to order bimini-like parts from them.

Both transactions were in the last two months.

I have no experience with long-term corrosion issues with their parts.
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:44   #58

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

When the Oz dollar was on par with or close to the US one, I ordered 4 to 6 times from MPD: maststeps, hinges, cleats, hatchlocks etc. After 4-6 years all of these are still perfect: no rust streaks, locks still working, never anything broken. Delivery was prompt to the other side of the world, and cost to me was, even with shipping, 30 to 60% less than retail prices here.
Old 18-10-2016, 10:28   #59

Thumbs down Re: Marine Parts Depot

Hi

This is just a warning not to order anything from Marinepartdepot.com

My partner and I are embarking on 'our' adventure and have purchased hundreds of items from all over the continent to retrofit our Alberg30.

This business, and I use this term jokingly, has ripped us off several times and wasted so much of our time that we have to scramble to get our project finished in time.

The List:

1 1/4" 90 elbows only 1 3/16" requiring machining to have them fit the 1 1/4 inch tubing

One order money taken but no order sent! Only an escalation through paypal got our money back

Zero customer service with many phone calls and emails unanswered

1" T's only 7/8 inside

Another order not delivered at all, but, at least this time, no money taken.

Do not order from these crooks!!! Check complaints online, there are many.

Tim Martens and Shirley Jones
ArioseNotes.com
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 11:39   #60

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Do not buy from them!

They sent me the wrong part. No answer to multiple e-mails and phone calls. I finally went through PayPal's complaint system. They got no response either, and eventually refunded my money.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, parts