Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 14:43   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Marine Parts Depot

Quote:
I would not trust it for critical applications if you do not know its source.
And, IMO more importantly, its specifications. As RainDog said, you are almost certainly reading this forum and posting to it using equipment made in China. Including all the network backbone hardware that gets your post from wherever you are to the great Internet cloud that houses it. It's all in the specifications and requirements that are used in the purchasing. Apple has shown the ability to successfully navigate Chinese production with products that impress lots of people. And most of their "oops" moments have been from the design side (which they pointedly tell you is done in the good old USA), not the manufacturing side.

"Stainless Steel" is a pretty broad subject, and not having the available specifications for your stainless products is what would turn me off for anything that I considered critical. Having said that, Dongying Xinghui seems to be a reputable company. On their own website they claim to use 304 and 316 SS, and to use ISO 9001 standards (although nowhere do I see that they are 9001 certified - that could be deliberate, or it could be a translation problem). Judging by the pictures, I would guess that a fair amount of the SS miscellany in you local chandlery from reputable "manufacturers" actually comes from their plant, and just gets a different mark. In fact, it would surprise me more if it didn't.

Alibaba

Dongying Xinghui

And lastly, when you talk about "critical" systems, where was your GPS, chartplotter, autopilot, running lights, SSB, VHF, AIS, or watermaker made? And before you say "not China" make sure you know where all the little pieces and parts that make it up were first manufactured. Again, it's not so much where it was made as how the entire process from initial design to final delivery is handled. We all start to trust companies (Garmin, ICom, ....) to handle this for us, and base our opinion on the final product they turn out. While a very few of these companies source and sell products and materials that are 100% from the US (or Germany, or England, or pick you favorite country that you think does it better), the vast majority of all the companies we buy from source from a global market, and China, India, and lots of other places are involved. Does your PFD say El Salvador? Mine, from a quite reputable "manufacturer" does. It is USCG certified and definitely on the critical list when you need it.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 11:49   #17

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Thumbs down Re: Marine Parts Depot

If you are going to buy from them, get it off their ebay ad. I ordered from the website and only received half my order. Calls, emails to multiple addresses went unanswered.

Not pleased!!!!
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:02   #18

Boat: looking

Ziggy,
I was going to buy several items from them, until I noticed their reputation % and read some of the feedback comments. Yeah, the prices are great, but not if you don't receive what you've paid for, or it's less than the size or quality you wanted.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:25   #19

I've bought from them but no more. Last things I ordered were a pair of Pelikan hooks that were described as having thread size 5/16" x 24 TPI. They were actually a metric size, more like 20 TPI. The would fit so I sent 'em back. Had to start a dispute process with EBAY to get a refund and I was still out the cost of shipping. They never answer the phone. Learned my lesson.
nial
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 12:53   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Would be interesting if there is anyone in the area that could drop around to see their "operation". Address may be just a front or possibly a mail drop (address of convenience?) or have no relation to their business.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 17:19   #21

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
Ziggy,
I was going to buy several items from them, until I noticed their reputation % and read some of the feedback comments. Yeah, the prices are great, but not if you don't receive what you've paid for, or it's less than the size or quality you wanted.
They actually have 97.6% positive feedback on ebay.

Seems like a one person operation with a source of cheep stainless parts in China. Usually delivers, but sometimes screws up. And beware of any merchandise with moving parts or threads.

I think I'll resist the temptation
Old 14-09-2011, 17:52   #22

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I happened to notice that they even spelled their address wrong and have it

Please pay check or MO to: Turquois, Inc

Mailing Address: Turquois, Inc, 28562 Oso Pkwy D-311, Rancho STAN MARG, CA 92688 USA

I wasn't aware that you normally abbreviate Rancho Santa Margarita that way.
Contact Information

I also did a whois search on the website and found this

Domain Name.......... marinepartdepot.com Creation Date........ 2005-05-05 Registration Date.... 2005-05-05 Expiry Date.......... 2012-05-05 Organisation Name.... Depei Liu Organisation Address. 37 radiance lane Organisation Address. Organisation Address. Rancho Santa Margarita Organisation Address. 92688 Organisation Address. CA Organisation Address. UNITED STATESAdmin Name........... Depei Liu Admin Address........ 37 radiance lane Admin Address........ Admin Address........ Rancho Santa Margarita Admin Address........ 92688 Admin Address........ CA Admin Address........ UNITED STATES Admin Email.......... depeiliu@hotmail.com Admin Phone.......... +1.9498138318 Admin Fax............ Tech Name............ YahooDomains TechContact Tech Address......... 701 First Ave. Tech Address......... Tech Address......... Sunnyvale Tech Address......... 94089 Tech Address......... CA Tech Address......... UNITED STATES Tech Email........... domain.tech@YAHOO-INC.COM Tech Phone........... +1.4089162124 Tech Fax............. Name Server.......... yns1.yahoo.com Name Server.......... yns2.yahoo.com

I bet it is a chinese expat in Cali importing all the stuff from china. Good prices but hard to trust someone that blatantly lies about the manufacturing country.
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 18:47   #23

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
They actually have 97.6% positive feedback on ebay.

Seems like a one person operation with a source of cheep stainless parts in China. Usually delivers, but sometimes screws up. And beware of any merchandise with moving parts or threads.

I think I'll resist the temptation
Apologies, I was thinking of another, although that is still almost 300 worth of Neg Rep. I had them marked for several items, but haven't ordered from them myself.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 08:35   #24

Boat: Catalina MK11 34'

I have ordered bimini hardware from this company, received the parts in record time and shipped to Canada with no extra cost !
The parts were of the same quality. They don't answer e-mails or their telephone but I would order again expecting the same service. I would never send anything back for a refund.
Expect no more than you are paying for !
Old 19-12-2011, 10:01   #25

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft.

I ordered nearly $200 worth of bimini hardware from Marine Parts Depot, and some are rusting, some are not. I am considering returning the unused stuff, but reviews indicate that refunds may be a problem. Anyone get their refund without a credit card or other dispute? Would I be better of selling them rather than return?
morgan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:36   #26

Boat: CAL34
I bought one stanchion base during one of their sales to check quality. It was a toy. I will not waste my dollars with their products in the future.
william5719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 08:23   #27

I emailed them asking if getting a refund would be a problem - no response. I even mentioned that no response would indicate to me that they were not willing to honor their return policy. Other have been ripped off by them in similar situations.

I would conclude that they not only have poor quality, but are dishonest.

Buyer beware! I will not do business with them again.
Old 26-04-2012, 08:49   #28

Boat: Seaward 22

If you have an issue, I would suggest contacting the BBB. Seems like they have had success.

MarineDepot.com Business Review in Garden Grove, CA
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 10:36   #29

Thanks, I just filed a complaint. They are actually called Turquoise, Inc. for business purposes. Their BBB rating is "F".
Old 31-07-2012, 12:15   #30

Boat: Westsail 32

I recently purchased a swivel anchor connector from them and it looks great! Problem is: the tang on my anchor is 7/8", which is what their catalog stated as the size of their part, but the part's actual size is 3/4".
I have sent 2 emails to every address I can find of theirs, but they have not responded at all. Their phone's vm is full and won't take messages, and they don't answer their phone.
As I am only 45 minutes away from their mailing address I plan to go there in the next week or two for a face to face- hopefully! I will post here to let you know the outcome. Thanks @sand crab for the second address, also in RSM; that may prove to be helpful.
Dav3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, parts