Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2018, 18:17   #46

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39
Re: Marine Insurance

Hi, I am looking for liability insurance for my US documented 1980 Southern Cross 39. I am presently cruising Fiji. Vanautu, New Caladonia then Australia. Any ideas and advice much appreciated...Cheers...Kim Philley
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 00:13   #47

Boat: Volkscruiser

You should be able to get third party liability insurance for Australia without a survey. Some marinas are wanting comprehensive insurance now which requires a survey.
We are almost family now Philiosophy so I can sort you out with a survey when you finally arrive in Oz.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 09:50   #48

We opted to purchase Edward William Marine coverage several years ago, after reading a number of positive reviews. Unfortunately, our vessel was a complete loss during Hurricane Irma (Sept. 2017). We have been patiently working with Edward William representatives since that time, while providing all details requested by them. After over a year, we received a proposed settlement that appears to account for only a fraction of some coverage, and it also subtracted the same deductible/excess amount twice. We kindly asked for clarification on these two topics. Since that time, it appears that Edward William representatives may be ignoring our requests for an update, since they have not replied to any of them. We also learned that communicating with them via email is more productive than via telephone, as our telephone conversations didn't go well at all (they seemed more interested in arguing than answering questions).

It appears that our requests to implement the complaints procedure, as outlined in policy documents, may have been ignored as well.

Does anyone have advice on how to reach Edward William representatives during the claim and/or complaint process? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
ec_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 13:53   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_guru View Post
We opted to purchase Edward William Marine coverage several years ago, after reading a number of positive reviews. Unfortunately, our vessel was a complete loss during Hurricane Irma (Sept. 2017). We have been patiently working with Edward William representatives since that time, while providing all details requested by them. After over a year, we received a proposed settlement that appears to account for only a fraction of some coverage, and it also subtracted the same deductible/excess amount twice. We kindly asked for clarification on these two topics. Since that time, it appears that Edward William representatives may be ignoring our requests for an update, since they have not replied to any of them. We also learned that communicating with them via email is more productive than via telephone, as our telephone conversations didn't go well at all (they seemed more interested in arguing than answering questions).

It appears that our requests to implement the complaints procedure, as outlined in policy documents, may have been ignored as well.

Does anyone have advice on how to reach Edward William representatives during the claim and/or complaint process? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Sorry for your lost boat. If you google Edward Williams Insurance and Northern Reef you will find many stories of them not paying out, unfortunately.
If its a large loss you might start thinking about a legal challenge.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 00:48   #50
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Sorry for your lost boat. If you google Edward Williams Insurance and Northern Reef you will find many stories of them not paying out, unfortunately.
If its a large loss you might start thinking about a legal challenge.
Sadly, as you can see from the length of this thread, this ponzi scheme has been going on for a long time. I expect that any funds spent on a legal challenge will just be spending good money after bad.
Old 04-05-2019, 14:36   #51

Hi there

First time posting but I've read through all the comments and still could use some help.

I have a 28ft 1974 folie douce, registered in Australia, but based permanently in Tonga (for the next few years at least). I have had an extremely hard time finding a way to insure it. Most companies in Australia seem to not insure anything that's worth less than 100000, especially if it's overseas.

Does anyone have any ideas of brokers I could contact about this request?

Thanks!
Chaveta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 16:32   #52

Boat: Farr7500

should be able to help.
email your contact details to info@dgmarine.com.au
Derick Warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:13   #53

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian B View Post
You should try www.CompareYachtInsurance.com - they aren't one of those brokers who just use one insurer, they should be able to give you a good spread of what insurance is available to you!
This is starting to sound like Spam. Most brokers use multiple underwriters, so why is your promoted one better?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:07   #54

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

Classic yacht insurance. Here is the dilemma. I have owned the same classic (meaning 100 year old plus) yacht for nearly half a century, always insured, (at Lloyds - London) never a claim. Cruised extensively in Europe, now planning a transatlantic only to find that the broker, a reputable firm, cannot get cover. One suggestion I have read somewhere is to make the crossing, uninsured, and get cover locally when I have arrived. So as, for instance to be able to participate in the Antigua classics. Any thoughts on this rather curious suggestion? Or, for that matter any other thoughts.
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 16:03   #55
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntress View Post
Cruised extensively in Europe, now planning a transatlantic only to find that the broker, a reputable firm, cannot get cover. One suggestion I have read somewhere is to make the crossing, uninsured, and get cover locally when I have arrived. So as, for instance to be able to participate in the Antigua classics. Any thoughts on this rather curious suggestion? Or, for that matter any other thoughts.
Do you have a recent survey?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:40   #56

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

Yes, a full out of the water survey from a reputable UK surveyor, last autumn.
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 21:45   #57
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntress View Post
Yes, a full out of the water survey from a reputable UK surveyor, last autumn.
On the surface, you sound eligible for coverage. However, quite a few factors can enter into whether an underwriter is willing to cover a particular boat:
1. The boat itself (length, model, age, value)
2. Availability of a recent survey
3. Owner's experience
4. Navigation territory including hurricane location
5. Nationality of the vessel and/or the owner
If you want me to take a look at getting you quotes, please go ahead and contact me by messaging, and I'll send you the questionnaire to fill out.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:38   #58

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Marine Insurance for Bermuda

following this and other threads, I understand what I am against.
Have decided to forfeit any type of insurance to cover loss or damages.
What like is just Liability insurance even that seems quite difficult, I tried different places.
I have also contacted brokers in Bermuda and only 1 out of 3 may be able to offer it,just sent a filled request and am awaiting a response.
Also waiting for a response from Mary ( TabbyCat)with Marine Insurance as she has responded on this forum a few threads back.

Any ideas?
thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote