Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Marine Beam LED's Outstanding

wow what were the chances of getting every single marinebeam employee to chime in on the same thread....
Old 04-04-2014, 07:40   #17

Has anyone tried the flashlight from Marinebeam?

Marinebeam Ultra Long Range CREE RLT Illuminator
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:47   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
wow what were the chances of getting every single marinebeam employee to chime in on the same thread....
wow.. what are the chances of someone making a wild unsubstantiated assumption and throwing it out for the world to see.... I have absolutely NOTHING to do with Marine Beam's business other than being an extremely satisfied customer. The only thing better than Marine Beam's products is their customer service. Once again, I am NOT employed by Marine Beam nor do I have any financial interest what so ever in their company.

And don't bother flaming back because I am putting you on ignore after this post.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:58   #19

Last weekend I replaced all the internal lighting on Siren Song (1966 Ted Hood Auxiliary Racing Sloop) with LED's from Marinebeam. Yes, expensive in comparison to the pile of old bulbs I have sitting around, but right off the bat, well worth it.

All bayonets, small and large dome fixtures...including one of the red/white bulbs...very cool. Also replaced two dome fixtures in the v-berth with the brass reading lamps with the 10 LED array. Nice compact units casting a substantial light in what was once a dark cavern.

Have some two sided tape handy to position the smaller dome bulbs in the fixtures...the larger bulbs have adhesive strips included.

Result..MUCH brighter cabin and the draw with all lights on went from over 9 Amp down to less than 1 Amp.

I no longer have to chase guests around cutting off lights when not in use, and have significantly improved the atmosphere in the cabin.

Once I confirm all the bases on my nav lights this summer, I will also be replacing all those.
Reb Blanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Has anyone tried the flashlight from Marinebeam?

Marinebeam Ultra Long Range CREE RLT Illuminator

Call Marine Beam and talk to Jeff. He is a real straight shooter and will tell you the truth about the product. Seriously, he has told me to buy products that he did not sell because of my intended application.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:02   #21

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

thanks for this thread

I just ordered all of my nav lights from them
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 17:37   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Back before BIBI closed the door, they had a tutorial for helping you to understand the difference between cheap LED bulbs with choke resistor (automotive) and linear resistor or PWM. THe short of it is that you want High frequency PWM for current regulation, long life and minimized radio interference. There is also a tutorial "idiot's guide" that is pretty good. Marinebeam Idiots Guide to Marine LEDs
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:53   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reb Blanchard View Post
Once I confirm all the bases on my nav lights this summer, I will also be replacing all those.
Just a tip: Replace the whole fixture, not just the bulb.

Main reason: Old-style fixtures and connections corrode. LED fixtures are sealed and will never corrode.

Legal reason: Used in a fixture designed for an incandescent, an LED may not show the correct arc of visibility, or the correct distance, or maybe even the correct color wavelength, to meet regulations. Not a problem until there's an accident, at which point I guarantee you the nav lights will be inspected.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:23   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRapture40 View Post
wow.. what are the chances of someone making a wild unsubstantiated assumption and throwing it out for the world to see.... I have absolutely NOTHING to do with Marine Beam's business other than being an extremely satisfied customer. The only thing better than Marine Beam's products is their customer service. Once again, I am NOT employed by Marine Beam nor do I have any financial interest what so ever in their company.

And don't bother flaming back because I am putting you on ignore after this post.
A hearty 'second' to that.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:37   #25

I've also replaced all my interior incandescent bulbs with marinebeam LEDs. Very satisfied and highly recommend. My only problem, I miscounted the number of fixtures and I'm one short!

Also, just a suggestion, use the cool-white for interior and bright-white for engine room, fridge, and other compartments.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:14   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I posted some of my LED project photos here.

Member Galleries - Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery
Old 08-04-2014, 08:20   #27

Update on customer service from Marine Beam - I initially bought enough lights to replace most of my interior lights. I was so happy with the lights and the service that I recently placed a second order to replace the rest of my interior lights and my running lights. A few days later I placed another order for some strip lights. I had planned on buying one of the cheap alternatives but after a lot of research I realized that was not the best solution. Fast forward 2 weeks later - I still have not received my lights. Out of the blue my phone rings. It is Jeff from Marine Beam telling me that he got my order back. I did some checking and found out that the port didn't give me accurate information on the address here. Jeff says "no problem, I'll get them right back out to you". I also called the local post office in an attempt to catch the second order before it was returned. They could not tell me if it had been returned or not but would try to catch it if it had not yet been returned. So I called Jeff back to give him an update. Jeff says "I'll check the tracking on the package. If it is already on it's way back I'll just make up another order and get it right out to you because it can take more than a week for a return".

Holy Moly! Can anyone top this for customer service? I seriously doubt it. When I was looking for LED lights I struggled with the plethora of options and companies. I took what I felt was the best shot at the time with Marine Beam. Wow! Did I hit it out of the park on this one. Once again, I have NOTHING to do with Marine Beam or Jeff (but I wish I did - what a recipe for success), just an extremely satisfied customer.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:21   #28

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Also known as 'customer CARE' and there are plenty of businesses that could use the lesson of your experience!
Old 08-04-2014, 15:40   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like Jeff & Marine Beam. Always a good experience. I installed a few of the 10" florescent replacement festoons. Very nice.
Old 08-04-2014, 15:40   #30

Boat: Outbound 44

I bought a fair number of lights from MarineBeam. Most of them were very good. I did have RF interference from the reading spot bulbs I purchased. I asked MB about it, but didn't really get much of a response. I still bought additional other bulbs from them. I really like the single switch red/white replacement bulbs. These show red or white depending on how fast you toggle the on/off switch - pretty cool.

Tags
marine