Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2016, 19:19   #1

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28
Lewmar...Nobody is Home!

I have problems with 2 Lewmar products...a block and a winch handle. I took pics of both and sent them to Lewmar US via email with an explanation of the problem. No response. So, I sent them again marked "Second Request"... still no response. So, I sent them a third time...still no response. I'm very glad that my issues were not major and didn't involve a needed piece of equipment. However, given the choices out their, I will never buy or recommend a Lewmar product again.

PS Their is no LewmarUS telephone number on their website. Only email contact info.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 19:28   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Lewmar...Nobody is Home!

Wouldn't surprise me if they have rep on here.
Old 03-09-2016, 20:38   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

I hate when that happens. You have engineers running a company with no inkling about customer satisfaction nor service. Last time I wanted to buy a 4000 usd plotter and asked the company a few simple questions on their website, no reply. Ok well I then proceeded to ask on their fb page, no reply. I then wrote a rather polite rant on their fb page ( no swearing, no name calling, no profanities, all rather polite) about how they expected a customer to pay them 4k usd for a complicated piece of equipment if they did not even bother to reply to a simple query. 3 weeks later there was a short apology. 2 months later they were bankrupt.

If a company does not reply to your queries then better avoid them altogether. This in the western civilized world, here in the boonies its bit different. But I do find it astonishing that old "reputable" companies like Lewmar commit this kind of elementary errors. They want top dollar for their products on the highly expensive marine product market but do not reply to queries?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 21:44   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Lewmar US number (203)458-6200
Old 04-09-2016, 00:36   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Sadly Lewmar has been like that for 2+ decades. Even when I've called their UK office from half way around the world, long, long before intercontinental phone calls were common, or email even existed. And don't even get me started about the "quality" of their deck hardware. Give me Harken anyday! Who's customer service is tough to beat. Not that you'll much need it for their hardware, comparatively.
Though they've even overnighted me parts & spares, mid-regatta, gratis!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:00   #6

Boat: Oyster 66

I've found them unpredictable. Sometimes I get a same day response, sometimes two weeks. I always had a good answer eventually though. There is clearly a failing of management that allows such inconsistent performance.
poiu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:50   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Lewmar US
51 New Whitfield Street, Guilford CT 06437
Tel: 203-458-6200
Fax: 203-453-5669
Per ➥ http://www.lewmar.com/contact

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:23   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I have had great experiences when calling the number above. They were prompt and knowledgeable about the older products I was inquiring about.

Try to call them. It seems they haven't moved into the new millennium yet!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:39   #9

Thanks for the contact info. I'll call Tuesday and report back on their response. In the meantime (and hereafter) I'll buy Garhauer.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:37   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

This sounds about par for the course for Lewmar. They make ok products at reasonable prices.

But I am a died in the wool Harken guy. After a new block exploded I called them to get a replacemnt, and Harken not only replaced the block they also paid for the repair to the jib car track that pulled out of the deck on the condition i sent them the broken block (at their cost) so they could figure out what happened.

Harken is often the more expensive option at the store, but they make up for it on customer service.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:42   #11

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Lewmar US
51 New Whitfield Street, Guilford CT 06437
Tel: 203-458-6200
Fax: 203-453-5669
Per ➥ http://www.lewmar.com/contact
Ask for Austin Cohen. Receiving great help from him on getting such obscure parts as Lewmar Whitlock Mamba steering and A/P drive motors.
Old 06-09-2016, 17:16   #12

I'm glad to report that Lewmar US has finally responded. Don't know if it was the three emails or my posts on CF and SA. In any event I'm pleased that they are standing behind their products.
Old 06-09-2016, 19:16   #13

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
I'm glad to report that Lewmar US has finally responded. Don't know if it was the three emails or my posts on CF and SA. In any event I'm pleased that they are standing behind their products.

Public posts get attention! I'm certain CF is high on the successful vendor watch list.
Old 06-09-2016, 20:29   #14

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Public posts get attention! I'm certain CF is high on the successful vendor watch list.
They may do that. And they also probably tell manufacturers when they're doing things right, as well as looking after their customers

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 19:08   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
Thanks for the contact info. I'll call Tuesday and report back on their response. In the meantime (and hereafter) I'll buy Garhauer.
I've had excellent customer support from Garhauer, I have had a number of different pieces from them over the years and never had a problem getting support.
I had a boom vang with a sheive that was tight turning, sent the whole piece back and received a brand new block 5 days later on a 5 year old piece. Anytime I've called or emailed I've received a prompt response, and for a fraction of the price of some of the other guys.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar