Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 15:30   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: LED spotlight with USB charger

[QUOTE=belizesailor;2182767]I've got a few Mag Lite LED 2 D cells (boat, home, truck). Hold up very well in the tropics.

I've got one in the bilge, it's been there for several years. I have yet to figure out a way to snag it. It has a an oily film on it and I can't seem to grab it. If I do ever get it out I wonder if it will still work.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 15:31   #17
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

got any specific recommendations?
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 15:37   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
You realize that is not a spotlight? Rather just a flashlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Well, I guess I didn't.

They call it a torch search light. Beam throws 2800 feet. Pretty impressive. I think my maglite is about 1500 and the beam spread isn't that bad, for a flashlight.

However, there are some highly focused beam led spots available. There is one popular one that sells for about $130 with a very focused pencil beam, with a flashlight form factor. Can't remember the name but didn't search hard for it because it's not usb charged as the OP wants.
Old 05-08-2016, 15:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I've got a few Mag Lite LED 2 D cells (boat, home, truck). Hold up very well in the tropics. I load them with high capacity (10,000 mAh!) NIMH batteries... last a long time at full brightness. Beam can be adjusted a little. Agree makes a good small spot, not crazy bright like some high tech ones, but adequate. Expensive batteries first time, but last a long time. I've had some for years, in fact have yet to have any go bad. Need a good charger though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A...D+cell+tenergy

Mag lites are very durable. Mine survived in the back floorboard of a flooded Cherokee during Katrina for three weeks before recovered. Still use it today 12 years later.

My bros was dropped off his lake dock one winter. Thirty feet down and stayed lit up lying on the bottom for more that a week before the batteries died. To cold to retreave.
Old 05-08-2016, 15:51   #20

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

I have this Coleman LED spotlight that can be charged with cigarette lighter adaptor and/or 110V with converter...in fact I bought a second when this was on sale at Sports Authority ($45). Very bright, Morse code adaptable, and a hold on button:

Coleman Rechargeable Spotlight | LED Spotlights |
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 15:52   #21

Oh, and I have a small Mag lite bought off the MAC tools truck in the late 1980's that I still use today. 30+ years.

Note sure there is a better general purpose flashlight made.
Old 05-08-2016, 16:09   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
LED spotlight with USB charger

I'm ever cynical about lighting claims and realities. Especially on inexpensive consumer products. I do base most my info on what I know about the optics as well as reviews of different driving light types. Driving lights and off-road vehicle mounted spots are not the same as boating though. Even so-I personally prefer a narrow beam that goes as far as possible when using a spotlight. That tends to be difficult to find in a battery operated torch but easier in a wired spotlight.

Ps in terms of general illumination of the deck, I'm all for inexpensive LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-08-2016, 16:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreorless View Post
I have a very good spotlight which will also blink SOS if needed that is LED and charged with a USB. I charge through my cigarette lighter with an adapter. I use an iPad and a iPod for music and navigation. I also have a camping lamp that collapses that is charged by USB that I use occasionally both in the cabin as a nice light and once as a anchor light. A friend of mine in Mexico has been using this lamp for over three years as an anchor light.

I got my spotlight from Westmarine and all my USB attachments from a local Apple store.

In my previous boats I use to have a storage area for all my navigation tools. I no longer have that but now I have to have a storage areas for wires, connections, plugs for all my digital gear. My how times change.

+1 They're great! The biggest one is almost 1100 lumens. The medium one is 600 lumens. I've got 4!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 22:13   #24

Boat: FP Helia 44 Evo

We used this beast when crossing Biscay and sailing down the Spanish Atlantic coast.
http://www.energizer.com/flashlights-lighting/led-spotlight
Very rugged with a very bright spot.

Also good when searching for your boat in a crowded anchorage after sundowners ashore! : We just stow it in the dinghy anchor locker.
FlyTheCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 22:57   #25

Rechargeable via USB or built in solar panel. Reported to give off 2,000 Lumens.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014C..._1470462645776
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:03   #26

I purchased this thru Hopkins carter. great flashlight, will recharge off usb and acts as power source for cell phones, etc. Battery lasts a long time, nice weight, adjustable beam and has neat high intensity flasher. You should look at it for your needs.

NEBO REDLINE SELECT RC FLASHLIGHT 6189
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nebo-redline-select-rc-flashlight-6189-4.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	129070  
Old 07-08-2016, 19:54   #27

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

I picked one up for 20 bucks at K-Mart (Australia) a few weeks ago to see what it's like. Ridiculously powerful single LED, with a narrow spot/beam relative to the more expensive offerings. Not waterproof, and no focus adjustment, but for 20 bucks....
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 20:31   #28

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

How much do you want to see? I've gotten into these super powerful led carry lights.. all kinds.. pen, tactical, spot, normal style flash light, all are anything but your normal flashlight. These things, even in a pen style will light up objects 100's of yards away. If you get a quality light at 1000 or more lumens, you turn quite a bit of night into day. Several that I have charge via USB.
I'd look for the ones using rechargeable 18650 batteries. Last like crazy.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:31   #29

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Yes indeed they are out there.

Even at reasonable prices.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AN...XMBK2CS3FXZZV6
This looks like a good product, very positive reviews. I may order one.

But I don't see where it actually says you can recharge it from a USB port. It has a USB port on it for recharging your phone, or plugging in a little night light.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 02:17   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Thanks for that. We keep a couple of 2x D cell Maglights to hand fitted with LED's. I like the battery link. Do you use the same make recharger? Or suggest an alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I've got a few Mag Lite LED 2 D cells (boat, home, truck). Hold up very well in the tropics. I load them with high capacity (10,000 mAh!) NIMH batteries... last a long time at full brightness. Beam can be adjusted a little. Agree makes a good small spot, not crazy bright like some high tech ones, but adequate. Expensive batteries first time, but last a long time. I've had some for years, in fact have yet to have any go bad. Need a good charger though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001A...D+cell+tenergy
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger