Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 05:32   #16

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hey, if anyone happens to know the "Official" color temps of both the red and green lights for COLREGS / Coast Guard, could you post them here? I'd like to do a little research...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:38   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Unless I sped-read too fast and missed it, the point of using original USCG approved versus equivalent "un-approved" is solely related to "insurance" coverage. There are a lot of LED and other manufacturers that make replacement bulbs that are functionally equivalent to the original manufacturers bulb. However, since the "USCG certification" is done on the whole unit - fixture and bulb - changing to another bulb invalidates the USCG certification as has be repeatedly said by others.
- - So it boils down to - will the insurance company pay off in an incident directly related to navigation where "lights" are a direct factor? Some companies will, but a the "bargain" insurance companies will probably be very reluctant to pay off if they can cite a violation of USCG certification on a navigation light.
- - Bottom line, if you are not insured you can use anything you want and hopefully something that meets Colreg's and USCG lighting standards. If you are insured you had best stay with the original manufacturers replacement bulbs - - For my tricolor I am looking at $40-60 incandescent bulb whereas other manufacturers sell an equivalent bulb for $10. It's a "gotcha."
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:44   #18

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
For specifications on light colors, Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: will get you started. There is also a small picture of the chromaticity diagram in the February 2010 Practical Sailor. Good luck.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
There is also a small picture of the chromaticity diagram in the February 2010 Practical Sailor. Good luck.
Thank you sded! I bought the article...and I'll try to figure out how to translate the Fed color info...

Old 07-03-2010, 07:36   #20

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
THE ENVELOPE PLEASE:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank each of you for your educating imput. I have come to a conclusion based on what I have read here, and any corrections by the audience is welcomed.

Insofar as I run a power boat, currently with a 90 amp alternator, 3.5kw generator, 90 amp 12 volt alternator, 50 amp battery charger, 2 8D, new AGM batteries and an independent generator start battery my answer, for me is an LED anchor light. Running lights: a bi color steaming nav light, stern light both with incadecent changable bulbs.

Thoughts?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:13   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Imho it's not so much whether or not (at least some) LED's are up to the job of providing sufficient light at the correct wavelengths, but that the law hasn't caught up to reality.

Remember when only sealed beam headlights were legal for cars?
I had Cibie' halogen driving lights when they were hard to find (and illegal), and unlike a lot of other driver's aftermarket installations, I first took great care to properly align them.

Finally, the law caught up with the technology and we now can actually SEE at night.
The marine laws will hopefully do the same, as they've done with inflatable life vests.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:57   #22

Boat: Schock 35
I have replaced every interior light with LEDs and am very happy with them. I never sail at night but when it is getting dark and the nav lights go on the motor is almost always also on so I don't worry about the power difference. I am using a Davis incandescent anchor light which uses very little juice. I have had to replace it once which meant a trip up the mast. We anchor frequently so this light gets more use than the other nav lights.

The Dr LED brand of lights offers a replacement bicolor light for the Aqua Signal series 25 lights that appears to be well engineered and got good results in the Practical Sailor article mentioned above.

I suppose that if I were cruising offshore at night I would consider LEDs, but for coastal cruising with the engine running they just don't add up for me.

http://www.doctorled.com/p2.htm
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:54   #23

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Spohn View Post
I have replaced every interior light with LEDs and am very happy with them. I never sail at night but when it is getting dark and the nav lights go on the motor is almost always also on so I don't worry about the power difference. I am using a Davis incandescent anchor light which uses very little juice. I have had to replace it once which meant a trip up the mast. We anchor frequently so this light gets more use than the other nav lights.

The Dr LED brand of lights offers a replacement bicolor light for the Aqua Signal series 25 lights that appears to be well engineered and got good results in the Practical Sailor article mentioned above.

I suppose that if I were cruising offshore at night I would consider LEDs, but for coastal cruising with the engine running they just don't add up for me.

Dr. LED Marine Lighting
The idea of changing out the steaming light does not make any sense to me. You are steaming and that means the engine is on. Why spend the extra money. The anchor light and the running lights OTOH are for times when you don't have a source of amperage (except maybe wind generator power). I like the idea of having LED lights for my tricolor and for the anchoring lights. What I have learned from this discussion is 1) keep your incandescent tri-color as a spare. and 2) LED's may or may not be ready for prime time. I think that I will wait for awhile. Can anyone identify what type of Tricolor this is? Picasa Web Albums - mckenzie.charlie - masthead

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 13:01   #24

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
led replacements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Has anyone ever tried these LED lights? They supposedly can be installed right into a pre-existing socket. Do they match up with COLREGS requirements? I know they will go into the socket but will they fit into my bronze fixtures which only give about about two inches of overhead clearance on my 1152 incandescents that are currently in there. I am specifically looking at A14 and A13 tower models to swap out port, stbd, aft and anchor lights on my boat. Any thoughts or concerns or reviews would be appreciated.

12 Volt LED LIGHTS: 12 V LED Lights and LED Light Bulbs, 24 Volt LED Lights and LED Bulbs, Marine/Boat LED Lights, LED Dimmers from SailorSams.com

So embarrassing, I forgot the link. Thanks Christian
I know this company is in england but post to the USA is cheap by Royal Mail and led's are light. Try this company. www.ecsmith.co.uk
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 13:09   #25

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Definitely an Aquasignal tricolor/anchor. It might have a strobe as well.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 15:22   #26

I'll tell ya...this thing looked great, until I got to the price: Naviled Trio Tri-Color How is it you can buy a 40 LCD TV for the price of one of these? Something is wrong here...

Old 07-03-2010, 15:36   #27

Check these out! LED Navigation These are a little different, and seem different than Dr. LED too...

Old 07-03-2010, 15:59   #28

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
I'll tell ya...this thing looked great, until I got to the price: Naviled Trio Tri-Color How is it you can buy a 40 LCD TV for the price of one of these? Something is wrong here...
Excuse me, but have you read the specs?

You wanted USCG approval, you get it (and 4 others, just in case you are very attached to your insurance policy).

Do you know where NZ is ??? Mate, it is down under - Auckland, the city of sails, rings the bell? Russel Coutts, rings the bell?

Have you ever heard of Hella? Their products cost hella've money.

You wanted approvals, quality, bling - you got it.

Now pay for it ;-)))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 16:02   #29

Boat: a sailing boat
The regular (incand.) bulbs we use in nav-lights, do they have USCG approvals? I have never seen a statement to this end on the box ...

???
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 16:03   #30

Boat: 50' custom pilot house cutter
Lopolight Navigation lights LED based info@lopolight.dk tel: +45 3248 5030

Best, Bob S/V Restless
bob kingsland is offline   Reply With Quote