Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 44 Center Cockpit
LED Bulbs from CheaperThanDirt.com

Ordered 5 bayonet style bulbs online and received TOTALLY DIFFERENT BULBS, of no use to us at all. Website was then changed indicating bulbs no longer available, and bulbs returned for refund. Today called and was told bulbs in stock but my refund only covered bulb cost, not shipping. I'm out twelve bucks shipping charge, plus return postage THROUGH NO FAULT OF MINE.
CheaperThanDirt .com has customer service practices lower than whale crap. Don't even think of buying from these shysters.
konakoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:20   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: LED Bulbs from CheaperThanDirt.com

May I respectfully suggest that a firm calling itself "cheaper than dirt" might have a predictably poor business model when it comes to customer service?

Hey, I just got a flyer from "Old Busted Crackhoe, Inc." Thirty percent off!

Nonetheless, thank you for the warning.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Just for the sake of discussion Most all major suppliers pricematch.I,know my local West Marine does and have found this true at Defender.Why deal with cheeper than dirt when legit retailers with proper customer service will price match.IMO
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

West Marine is ceasing to price-match, actually. It's in another current thread.

LEDs can be made for boats cheaply or correctly. "Correctly" is more technical than I care to write up now, but it centers on voltage regulation. Yes, it costs more, but not so much that it isn't still a great idea to go all LED, unless you've got an onboard genny and are using halogens instead of buying a diesel heater.

If you care to Wal*Mart the equation and get the sort of LEDs used to illuminate the sides of truck rigs, go for the lowest price. It doesn't matter. If you are looking to get extended life and better colour reproduction over the typically variable range of source voltages available on a boat, go for the better regulated models.

Me, if I've looking to create a three-LED "mini-strip" powered by a 9V battery and switch by a reed switch, all Velcro'd to the underside of a locker lid, I happily purchase the crappiest, bluey LEDs at the surplus store, as the goal is five seconds of "oh, that's where I put this", rather than "I wish to navigate now, or to have a pleasant meal."

That sort of nice LED light costs more.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:15   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Cheaper Than Dirt is strictly for gun nuts. Only buy bricks of cheap milsurp ammo from them. I've bought thousands of rounds from them with no problem.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:33   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

CTD has a long and good reputation. You say the web site was changed. Maybe whoever you spoke to thinks you ordered the wrong products. Call or email again, make sure it is clearly stated that you did not receive what you ordered, and I think you'll get a different result.

When a company ships the wrong item, that's their problem. They know it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:40   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

G4 units from reputable suppliers are already less than $10. Saving the last kopeck would not be my main priority, when choosing LED conversion units for my boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:53   #8

Boat: Nimble Nomad Trawler

Go here..great bulbs,fast shipping and made for marine use.

Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures
"Sweet Pea" Hull #1
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote