Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2014, 19:01   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Knife?

I may be opening up a never ending post but here goes. I had my boating knife stolen by a pick pocket while in the Philippines and am now looking for a replacement. I know everyone that reads this is going to have an opinion, BUT--what's the general feeling as to who makes the best(and worst) boating knives? Need one that has the hole for undoing shackles and not just the blade and marlin spike. I'm using one of my backups from West Marine and while it does a decent job, I know there are better knives out there. I had one.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 19:06   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: knife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
I may be opening up a never ending post but here goes. I had my boating knife stolen by a pick pocket while in the Philippines and am now looking for a replacement. I know everyone that reads this is going to have an opinion, BUT--what's the general feeling as to who makes the best(and worst) boating knives? Need one that has the hole for undoing shackles and not just the blade and marlin spike. I'm using one of my backups from West Marine and while it does a decent job, I know there are better knives out there. I had one.
Personally, I'm a believer in a knife, a small wrench, and a marlinspike. I find a single tool invariably compromises each.
Old 10-05-2014, 19:23   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

See thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ead-98992.html
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 19:58   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... tough (maybe impossible?) question - there is simply no "best"; there is a heck of a lot of good ones and hundreds that are less than average.

I'm in the single tool camp; separate knife, separate shackle key, separate marlinspike etc.

As for knives, fixed or folding? Fixed easier to maintain in a corrosive setting and quicker to deploy; folding easier to stow and move around the deck with. In the end, I chose folding.

Stainless or carbon steel? For me, a no brainer, IMO, the advantages of carbon steel are far outweighed it's disadvantages in the marine environment; so I should choose SS but I didn't.

My goto knife is a Buck folder, about 40 years old and I can't recall the actual blade material exactly. Not even sure if the current ones are the same.

All the other working knives around on board are SS in some form or another as they don't get the regular attention of the Buck.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 20:00   #5

Good one SM; I had sort of forgotten that thread
Still, always good to to rehash the same old stuff again ; bit like having beers and tall stories at the bar :
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 10-05-2014, 20:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
... I had one.
And what was it?????
Old 10-05-2014, 20:10   #7
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

wotname is still using his trusty Buck!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 20:32   #8

Boat: csy 37

i used to use the buck sailors knife; it had a sheepsfoot blade and a marlinspike but no shackle opener. so i eventually put it in a drawer and bought the wichard sailors knife - sheepsfoot blade with serrated edge, marlinspike, shackle opener, and the handle glowed in the dark.

then i got a gerber multitool for xmas about 15 years ago. really useful. so i got to carrying both the wichard and the gerber. last year i lost the gerber so i looked around for another multitool. bought a leatherman super 300. then got a bargain price on a leatherman wave at a garage sale.

now the only thing on my belt is the leatherman wave. i seem to wear it everywhere, not just on the boat - weddings, funerals, used car buying....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 20:35   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If your old one suited you the best, why not get the same one? Personally, I have never found myself continually working shackles, so do not need a permanently accessible tool for that (and am always wondering why/how others are constantly needing to work shackles). Count me in the category of single tools for the job. I have a bazillion different types and qualities of knives on board for different purposes.

I have never had the need for a marlinspike - lots better tools to fill that purpose.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 20:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
now the only thing on my belt is the leatherman wave.
Belt??? I seem to remember what those were. Barely. Closest thing I have now to a belt is the UV-degraded elastic on my swim trunks. I never wear those.

What do people who don't have pants or belts use for this all-important, must-have-on-possession-at-all-times-ready-to-deploy, piece of kit?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 10-05-2014, 20:48   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
If your old one suited you the best, why not get the same one? Personally, I have never found myself continually working shackles, so do not need a permanently accessible tool for that (and am always wondering why/how others are constantly needing to work shackles). Count me in the category of single tools for the job. I have a bazillion different types and qualities of knives on board for different purposes.

I have never had the need for a marlinspike - lots better tools to fill that purpose.

Mark

What's better than a marlinspike for its purpose?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 20:49   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Belt??? I seem to remember what those were. Barely. Closest thing I have now to a belt is the UV-degraded elastic on my swim trunks. I never wear those.

What do people who don't have pants or belts use for this all-important, must-have-on-possession-at-all-times-ready-to-deploy, piece of kit?

Mark

The usual method would be to hang it on a cord around your neck.

Old 10-05-2014, 20:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
What's better than a marlinspike for its purpose?
A free-standing and purposefully made marlinspike - not much. A short ghost of one on a multipurpose knife, however, is pretty much useless.

And a set of splicing wands and specialty fids for ropework are much better.

Mark

Old 10-05-2014, 20:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The usual method would be to hang it on a cord around your neck.
And if you are not wearing shorts, you have multiple options!

BTW, I consider anything hanging from a cord around my neck while working on deck to be a very dangerous thing.

Mark

Old 10-05-2014, 21:10   #15
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And if you are not wearing shorts, you have multiple options!

BTW, I consider anything hanging from a cord around my neck while working on deck to be a very dangerous thing.

Mark

Chums Quick Release Neck Lanyard

Won't hang anything around your neck, but willing to consider "other options"?! I'd rather the neck....