Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2012, 04:22   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Kanberra Gel - Review

I scored some free Kanberra Gel samples thanks, and have had them on the boat now about 1 month. I have 1 of the 4-oz sizes and about 6 little 1-oz sizes on my 41' boat.

When I first got them and opened them up I felt that they put out a strong odor, but I'm kind of sensitive to odors which is why I was trying them to start with. So I decided to try them on a slower release and on the 4-oz only removed the cover from 3 of the holes in the top of the container; and on the 1-oz I drilled a hole in the top of the little plastic lid. I put the 4-oz in my aft berth where there was just enough of a musky smell to have started my to look at the Kanberra Gel and spread the 1-oz sizes throughout the boat in various locations.

I can detect the scent of the Kanberra Gel if close enough to it and since I put the 4-oz on a shelf right above our heads in the aft berth we have started capping that at night when on the boat. But we only really smell it when in bed and can not smell it in the room in general otherwise and if I moved it to a different location it probably wouldn't be noticed anymore. I don't really smell any of the little ones unless I put my face down near them or if I open them up all the way and are fairly close.

So did it work? I would say yes. I have not noticed the slight musky smell on the boat overall as before. And I haven't been waking up with that taste in my throat or a clogged up nose like before. We can detect the Kanberra Gel scent when coming to boat after it has been shut up all week, but that quickly goes away once the boat is opened up and I figure that is just the gel working.

It doesn't seem to work it's way into areas that are closed on the boat, like lockers. I opened my liquor cabinet the other that I don't normally open and it is above the bilge and it was pretty musky and moldy smelling. So I put 1 of the 1-oz containers that I had drilled the hole in the top into the cabinet and the next day the musky smell was gone. Maybe I should move a few of the 1-oz containers to lockers of bilge areas.

So on my boat that doesn't have a big problem to began with I would say the Kanberra Gel works. I will probably buy some when the time comes to replace, which is the true bottom line review.
Old 27-02-2013, 08:06   #2

Re: Kanberra Gel - review

How did you manage to score the samples?
JimGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Kanberra Gel - review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGo View Post
How did you manage to score the samples?
Probably from CF member <Maineman>
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gel-78875.html

The active ingredient in Kanberra Gel is a blend of Tea Tree Oils.

Tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract, white vinegar, citrus oil, peroxide, and baking soda are all mild, natural mold killers. They must come in contact with the mold.

However, dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.

A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home | Mold and Moisture | US Environmental Protection Agency

Mold and Moisture | Indoor Air | US Environmental Protection Agency

CDC - Mold - General Information - Facts About Mold and Dampness

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 07:58   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Kanberra Gel - Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
So on my boat that doesn't have a big problem to began with I would say the Kanberra Gel works. I will probably buy some when the time comes to replace, which is the true bottom line review.

We did buy the refill size this year, which means that as far as we were concerned the Kanberra Gel worked well enough to spend the $90 on.

For anyone considering my recommendation is to just buy the 24 oz refill and put in into little paper cups etc. instead of buying the jars.

Tags
reviews