Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2018, 00:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Isotherm Smart Energy Control Kit

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Looks like it would would work any variable speed Danfoss compressor? I would be using it in the tropics. I can see how it could be useful with a freezer but for a refrigerator the benefit would seem more marginal.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/isoth...47?recordNum=3
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 00:58   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Isotherm Smart Energy Control Kit

if I understood correctly it is sort of like their "ASU" system but without a eutectic tank, using the food as "cold-plate"
Old 30-04-2018, 01:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran

Yes - in effect it uses the food as a cold plate.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 07:12   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Subscribe to the KISS acronym . These items are the first things to fail in the marine environment . Ask any service tech . Ask Richard Kollmann

Regards John
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 07:29   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Looks like it would would work any variable speed Danfoss compressor? I would be using it in the tropics. I can see how it could be useful with a freezer but for a refrigerator the benefit would seem more marginal.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/isoth...47?recordNum=3

Your money would be better spent upgrading your hatch seals.
We tested a unit several years ago and can't recommend them.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 09:04   #6

Boat: O'Day 40

Is there any point in replacing the standard thermostat with an electronic one?
I've just replaced my refrigeration with a NovaCool unit, (sorry guys my budget prevented me from buying yours) and wonder if would make any difference.
Old 30-04-2018, 09:11   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Hi boomer

I have my own opinion on that subject .

What I would do is call novakool and ask them , they designed the system to work with the thermostat they provided .
Do us a favour and post what they say .

Regards John

www.coldeh.com
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 09:13   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Is there any point in replacing the standard thermostat with an electronic one?
I've just replaced my refrigeration with a NovaCool unit, (sorry guys my budget prevented me from buying yours) and wonder if would make any difference.
Yes, I would recommend replacing the stock dial 1-7 thermostat with a digital.
It gives you better control over your actual Box temp. The only caveat is that if you are the type of person that is a "impatient tweaker" then learn to slow down and relax. Where people get into trouble with electronic thermostats is that they make changes...in too big of increments and then don't give those changes time to stabilize and the system to reach a new equilibrium. Make a change and give the Box at least 24hrs to find it's new "Happy Equilibrium" before deciding to make anther change.

My daughters boat she lives on as a Collage Dorm has a Nova Cool unit and the first thing I did was to change to a digital controller.

Cheers
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 09:51   #9

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

We installed an Isotherm unit last year and are very happy with the performance. After researching the Smart Energy control we decided the benefit would be minimal.

Use the basic thermostat. Choose the freezer compartment style evaporator. Install an inside the box fan - we used a quality ball bearing computer type 12v unit that runs when the compressor is on. This requires a simple relay at the compressor control terminals. Tweak the thermostat setting to keep the freezer frozen solid and the rest of the box at 35-40 deg F. Once you find the correct setting, leave it alone.

The internal fan is the key. By circulating the air inside a well insulated box (5" of closed cell foam with a tight gasketed top loading lid) you will achieve the "storing the cold in the contents" effect without the expense and complexity of the Smart Control.

We also installed a simple 12v hour meter to measure performance. 20-30 AH / day to cool a 6 cu ft box. Power supplied by a 200 watt solar setup.

Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 11:06   #10

Boat: O'Day 40

@ColdEh

I asked that when I bought the system and was told they didn't think there was any advantage. Sort of KISS. I can understand their approach since it means 1 less potential problem.

I'll have an extra STC-1000 so I may try it when I get a chance.

I'm using an STC-1000 to control my Espar hydronic. Seems good most of the time but sometimes doesn't wait for the full cool-down differential.
Old 27-01-2019, 15:50   #11

Boat: Boreal 52

We installed one of the smart controllers when we built our new freezer. I actually thought it worked fairly well for the first couple of months. The unit senses batt voltage, and when it sees a voltage above resting voltage, say 12.6 or so (from memory), it assumes you are charging, and takes advantage of this by lowering the box temp a few degrees. Basically your food becomes a thermal battery.

But then I installed our lithium house battery bank. Since the resting voltage, say 13v or so, is above the threshold for the “smart” controller, it essentially always thinks you’re charging, and drops the box temp accordingly. So you just have to use it as a normal (but expensive) thermostat

Bottom line, it’s a complete waste if you plan to use w lithium batts.
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 01:09   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45 (steel) - Armonid

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post

But then I installed our lithium house battery bank. Since the resting voltage, say 13v or so, is above the threshold for the “smart” controller, it essentially always thinks you’re charging, and drops the box temp accordingly. So you just have to use it as a normal (but expensive) thermostat

Bottom line, it’s a complete waste if you plan to use w lithium batts.
You can set the critical voltage to 13.2V (first dip switch).

Been using it since last summer. Does what it is supposed to do. (i.e. run the unit at max speed down to close to freezing when you have abundant energy, and run at half speed otherwise)

We have a small (60L) and super insulated box. With this controller it requires between 0 and 7Ah at night when anchoring. We could probably fine tune settings such that it won't turn on at night
gauvins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isotherm