Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 09:51   #16

Re: Is Coppercoat anti foul worth it?

Three times as expensive for five times the endurance.

You do the math.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 09:55   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1944 View Post

You do the math.
Very true. Its the copper content,not who makes the paint, that is important. Need at least 60% copper to make a real difference. Above 80% and the copper is just too heavy to stay on the hull. A tried and true method for over 500 years.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 10:04   #18
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Its the copper content,not who makes the paint, that is important.
That is true, as far it goes. But high copper content combined with a high leach rate is what makes for an effective anti fouling product in high fouling regions. CopperCoat has high copper content but an extremely low leach rate, which is why the manufacturer can claim a very long lifespan. However, a low leach rate means low anti fouling performance.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 10:24   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
That is true, as far it goes. But copper content combined with a high leach rate is what makes for an effective anti fouling product in high fouling regions. CopperCoat has an extremely low leach rate, which is why the manufacturer claims a very long lifespan. But a low leach rate means low anti fouling performance.
The degree of sloughing does not affect anti fouling performance. It affects the length of time between hull cleaning. A really hard copper paint will last a long time but you will need to clean your hull twice a year in high growth areas. A very soft paint will keep the hull clean on its own as the paint slough's off.Thus you do not need to clean the hull for at least two years. However, by then you probably need to reapply the paint. If you do not mind diving twice a year, you probably can get 4 to 5 years out of a hard bottom copper paint. In either case, your unlikely to get much in the way of barnacle growth for the life of the paint nor much in the way of plant growths except at the water line.
For hard copper bottoms, about the only thing your going to get over 4 -5 years if you did not wipe down the bottom on a regular basis is a few barnacles. For long distance cruising, go with hard paint.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:31   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The degree of sloughing does not affect anti fouling performance. It affects the length of time between hull cleaning.
Sloughing and leach rate are two different things. "Sloughing" is what a sloughing paint does as it moves through the water. This is an uncontrolled release of binder and biocide. It should also not be confused with how ablative paints work.

"Leach rate" describes the rate at which a particular anti fouling product commits its metal biocide to the environment. The faster the product pumps copper out, the more effective it is going to be.

Hull cleaning frequencies are more largely determined by the fouling characteristics of a particular region. You cannot generalize about either the fouling rate or fouling organisms (as you did in your post above.)
Old 31-01-2016, 10:40   #21

Quote:
Sloughing and leach rate are two different things. "Sloughing" is what a sloughing paint does as it moves through the water. This is an uncontrolled release of binder and biocide. It should also not be confused with how ablative paints work.

"Leach rate" describes the rate at which a particular anti fouling product commits its metal biocide to the environment. The faster the product pumps copper out, the more effective it is going to be.

Hull cleaning frequencies are more largely determined by the fouling characteristics of a particular region. You cannot generalize about either the fouling rate or fouling organisms (as you did in your post above.)
The degree to which a metal like copper is released is a function of its sloughing. Chemical biocides on the other hand depend on their leach rates. One can perfectly sail around the world on a copper bottom with minimal fouling as long as the copper stays attached to the hull.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:51   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The degree to which a metal like copper is released is a function of its sloughing. Chemical biocides on the other hand depend on their leach rates. One can perfectly sail around the world on a copper bottom with minimal fouling as long as the copper stays attached to the hull.
You would do well to do a little research into how copper-based anti fouling paints work and the terms used to describe that.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:55   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

I had a coppercoat on my previous boat based in UK Solent area and during the first 7 years hull was 100% clean of barnacles - only a quick pressure washer once per year was enough to clean the hull. - I do not know after the first 7 years as I sold the boat...

in brief in UK waters properly applied copercoat does work.

the key is properly an UK waters.

I know about horrible stories about copercoat in Greece and not properly done...
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 13:33   #24

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Im about to Coppercoat mine for the first time next Saturday, weather permitting. Ive heard only positive things from those using it in my area. But, doing some appropriate research into the product is essential. A few points i want to make.

Firstly, copper coatings are NOT all the same. That should be clear just by reading information on the products. Ive purchased Coppercoat, being the origional and one with proven results. Comparing the 'results' of different products seem quite faulty given they are so incredibly different. Coppercoat has 99% copper. So comparing this with a bottom paint that has 80% seems pointless.

Copper filled epoxy resin marine antifoul | Coppercoat

Secondly, the idea that you can paint it on and leave it for a few years is not supported by the manafacturers. You either need to clean and Scotchbright in the water or haul and clean. Between one and two years depending on where you live.

Its an expensive product. My 12 ltrs with the Australian dollar as it is and freight cost just under $3k.

And lastly, one has to be ready to follow the instructions completely for applying it. You cant blame the product if its been put over antifowling or you didnt put the required minimum four coats on.

Im hoping it works for me. Im expecting a one day haul each year to quickly lift, wash and scrub and put back in. Unless i have something else to do at the same time.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 14:58   #25

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1944 View Post

You do the math.
3X is s hard fact
5X is a faint Hope
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 15:30   #26

Boat: Vancouver 28

Less than one year in ... Coppercoat applied Feb 2015, boat next hauled out Nov 2015. Plenty of green algae growth at waterline (above the Coppercoat), light film of green slime below. Pressure washed only this winter ... wait and see.

I read enough accounts of success to go for it myself but remain a sceptic until personal experience proves me right or wrong!
Trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 16:47   #27

Quote:
You would do well to do a little research into how copper-based anti fouling paints work and the terms used to describe that.
We(family) have owned and operated boat yards for almost 200 years in Maine,so think we have some idea what we talk about. Guess your knowledge is limited to visiting West Marine stores?
Old 31-01-2016, 17:27   #28

Boat: Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFK View Post
Thanks to both for the responses. I checked the search function as suggested and see that this issue created some emotional dialogue. So rather than open the debate again, I will consider it closed.
best regards
There is almost no subject about boats and sailing that hasn't been discussed on the forum before, so I disagree with the idea that you should spend a lot of time searching for your answer before bringing it up. An active dialogue is better. Just don't say "which anchor is best?"
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 19:26   #29

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

This kind of course.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 21:01   #30

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Na, this one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version