Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2017, 03:17   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
International Micron 66

I just had the latest lift and scrub, which I usually do every 4 to 6 months. The Micron 66 is holding up astonishingly well after 20 months -- just a little slime after the last lift and scrub 8 months and more than 3000 miles of sailing ago. It is getting a little thin only in a couple of places and will probably only need one coat next April when I do it again.

This is the only antifoul I've used which matches the old Jotun Sea Queen, now banned, which I loved. The previous antifouling -- International Micron Extra -- was extremely soft and already gone in six months, so no good for sailing long distances at fairly high speeds (I'm often sailing at 9 and 10 knots). This Micron 66 is even better than the Jotun, I think.

I was shocked by how expensive it was when I applied it -- about double the cost of the Micron Extra and what -- four times the cost of the old Jotun? But with this performance, it's worth it. The bottom stays remarkably clean and the boat stays fast between scrubs.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 03:30   #2
cruiser

Re: International Micron 66

10 knots? Isn't your hull speed 9.2 knots... maybe current added in which doesn't count.

I'll try the Micron 66 next time, thanks. Are barnacles an issue where you sail? We occasionally get attacked by barnacles.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 03:51   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
10 knots? Isn't your hull speed 9.2 knots... maybe current added in which doesn't count.

I'll try the Micron 66 next time, thanks. Are barnacles an issue where you sail? We occasionally get attacked by barnacles.
We are relatively light at 188 D/L and with the carbon sails, I regularly get over 10 knots through the water with a good breeze on a close reach, and sometimes 12 or 13 surfing downwind. That's measured with a very accurate ultrasonic speed log. You can tell when you break hull speed by the fine spray thrown up from the bow.

We do have barnacles and all kinds of other growth in the Channel, which is a rather high fouling area for this latitude. I used to be moored up the Hamble River in brackish water, which was better. In Cowes, the fouling is pretty awful. I am very pleased with this stuff.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-12-2017, 04:31   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

That matched my experience on a catamaran sailed at similar speeds. I've been told it is not as impressive on slower boats.
Old 18-12-2017, 04:37   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
That matched my experience on a catamaran sailed at similar speeds. I've been told it is not as impressive on slower boats.

That’s correct, it is not!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 04:40   #6

I used Micron 66 and got a bit over 2 years out of it including the Med and Caribbean with similar results, probably the best ablative paint made.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 09:45   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We are relatively light at 188 D/L and with the carbon sails, I regularly get over 10 knots through the water with a good breeze on a close reach, and sometimes 12 or 13 surfing downwind. That's measured with a very accurate ultrasonic speed log. You can tell when you break hull speed by the fine spray thrown up from the bow.

We do have barnacles and all kinds of other growth in the Channel, which is a rather high fouling area for this latitude. I used to be moored up the Hamble River in brackish water, which was better. In Cowes, the fouling is pretty awful. I am very pleased with this stuff.
Please explain how you defy physics to get your heavy cruising displacement hull up planing at 10-13 knots. You should be just digging a deeper hole in the ocean if you don’t have a planing hull.
Old 18-12-2017, 09:56   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Please explain how you defy physics to get your heavy cruising displacement hull up planing at 10-13 knots. You should be just digging a deeper hole in the ocean if you don’t have a planing hull.
Hull speed is not a hard limit, it's a theoretical limit based on the general WL/wave rule. It's breakable in the right conditions.

I was on a Valiant 42 that hit 12+ knots in basically flat water when it got jumped by a squall. Heard a shout and came on deck to find the captain with one hand on the mainsheet and the other on the wheel, driving the boat like a dinghy. The sound coming from the boat's stern wake was pretty alarming. The boat was with the waves, a gentle swell, but that boat can't surf.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 11:38   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ha, ha. You need to spend some time on lighter, faster boats

The previous poster answered it pretty well. Many displacement sailboats can surf downwind, with enough power. I did 30 miles in 2:45 one time - against a half knot of tide . In a F9 with a little bit of jib out. While listening to Mahler's 6th. I'll put up the video if I can find it.

My boat not only surfs downwind (like many lighter boats) but breaks hull speed somewhat on other points of sail. With a good wind (about 20 - 25 knots) I do 10 knots fairly regularly, as the several people on CF who have sailed with me can testify.
Walt Whitman
Old 18-12-2017, 14:40   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ha, ha. You need to spend some time on lighter, faster boats

The previous poster answered it pretty well. Many displacement sailboats can surf downwind, with enough power. I did 30 miles in 2:45 one time - against a half knot of tide . In a F9 with a little bit of jib out. While listening to Mahler's 6th. I'll put up the video if I can find it.

My boat not only surfs downwind (like many lighter boats) but breaks hull speed somewhat on other points of sail. With a good wind (about 20 - 25 knots) I do 10 knots fairly regularly, as the several people on CF who have sailed with me can testify.
You were obviously hallucinating... what you claim is impossible on a displacement boat. You own a Moody 45,000 lb displacement cruising boat which can't "surf" or plane. To claim it possible to average 10.9 knots against a .5 knot current (13mph) over 30 miles is simply ridiculous.
Old 18-12-2017, 15:28   #11

Boat: Tartan 37

One of the biggest false is thinking a displacement sailboat can't go faster than its hull speed. It's possible for her to go faster than hull speed, but usually requires a disproportionate amount of effort. Anyone who has raced knows this. Also there can be changes in the dynamic water line. You can also draft boats and their wake. In a Down the Bay race we jumped Donnybrook's wake and caught her second wake. We rode on that, down the bay for over an half hour with speeds 2.5 kts faster than our hull speed. If a displacement trawler can go faster than their hull speed with more power, what restricts the sailboat. I wouldn't even sail if I thought the best I could do was 6.73 kts.

Good report on the paint, I'm not as happy with my Petit SR 60. Been using for years.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 16:17   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post

Good report on the paint, I'm not as happy with my Petit SR 60. Been using for years.

See, that’s funny. I was happier with the Pettit than the interlux!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 16:25   #13

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
See, that’s funny. I was happier with the Pettit than the interlux!
I had been very happy till the last batch two years ago, when they weren't adding the biocide. Gave them one more try, just painted this fall before heading south with the biocide. We'll see. I'm in the lower Chesapeake Bay during the summer and last year was brutal.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 19:39   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Don’t take your Micron 66 upriver. Fresh water will deactivate it, and might even make it slough off.
https://interlux.com/en/us/boat-pain...ling/micron-66
“Micron 66 is a long-lasting, self-polishing antifouling that’s suitable for the harshest fouling conditions – even when at dock or moored. It can be hauled and relaunched without recoating – but it’s only suitable for boats in salt water.”
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 19:52   #15

I use Micron 66 too but am very careful of brackish water common in the Chesapeake, the Stuart Fl area and many others. While Interlux says that you can pass through fresh water, leaving your boat on a mooring or slip can cause the paint to soften and flake off (after which it has to be completely removed to start over. According to Interlux the salinity should be at least 7.5 ppt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 10.46.16 PM.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	160691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 10.50.01 PM.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	160692  

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote