Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 16:49   #106

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Induction stoves for boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
+1

My mother has had to deal with an induction cooktop for nearly 20 years on land. She regrets it. Compared to gas it offers little improvement IMHO.

Was it an induction cooktop? Or was it one of those glas-ceramic ones? Big difference, but not always obvious.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 02:44   #107
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

One other power management feature with an induction hob is that you can pre-program a default Maximum power level.

For example my 4 hob range has a Max power of 7200W which represents all 4 on High with power boost.(very unlikely that would ever be used)
But you can reset max to 4800W or 2500W so that it will never pull more than your preferred setting.

2500W will be my default setting so that it is well within the 3000W Invertor
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 03:41   #108

Boat: Presto 36

Since I have a diesel powered auxiliary, I intend to purchase a Wallas diesel fired, ceramic cooktop/heater. With gimbals.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 06:21   #109

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a propane force 10 but only room to (safely) store one 6lb bottle. Which is obviously crap.

I have 400AH of lithium and (soon to be) 400-600 watts of solar (depending on when I finish my dodger) so looking at maybe getting an induction stove top to help eek out the propane (I'm already moving to an electric kettle).

I guess the best solution would be to get one that fits on top of the propane stove so can take advantage of the gimbal/pot holders
Old 14-06-2017, 06:49   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I have a propane force 10 but only room to (safely) store one 6lb bottle. Which is obviously crap.

I have 400AH of lithium and (soon to be) 400-600 watts of solar (depending on when I finish my dodger) so looking at maybe getting an induction stove top to help eek out the propane (I'm already moving to an electric kettle).

I guess the best solution would be to get one that fits on top of the propane stove so can take advantage of the gimbal/pot holders
We have used an electric kettle since forever. A couple of years ago I switched from a standard 2.5kW one to a "travel" kettle which uses about 1000 watts -- makes a big difference in usability -- don't have to shut down almost everything on board to use it. Water for a couple cups of tea is boiled reasonably fast. Only downside is all of these "travel" kettles have permanently attached bases -- so you have to unplug them to fill them up.

Makes a big difference in gas consumption.

Lately we started using a single burner normal hot place (not induction), on the counter next to the stove. It is surprising what a high percentage of stove needs it fulfills -- I guess it must be at least 50% if not more.

Has made another big difference in gas consumption.

If you can make a multi burner induction cooktop fit the top of your existing gas stove, that will be cool. If it works, please post your plans and photos.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 06:53   #111

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
We have used an electric kettle since forever. A couple of years ago I switched from a standard 2.5kW one to a "travel" kettle which uses about 1000 watts -- makes a big difference in usability -- don't have to shut down almost everything on board to use it. Water for a couple cups of tea is boiled reasonably fast. Only downside is all of these "travel" kettles have permanently attached bases -- so you have to unplug them to fill them up.

Makes a big difference in gas consumption.
It was actually your posts in that 'boiling water' thread that convinced me to move to an electric kettle!

I'm going to get this one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00851LRR6/...R8OIZVZ0&psc=1

750 watts, removable base.
Old 14-06-2017, 06:56   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
It was actually your posts in that 'boiling water' thread that convinced me to move to an electric kettle!

I'm going to get this one https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00851LRR6/...R8OIZVZ0&psc=1

750 watts, removable base.
Old 14-06-2017, 08:44   #113

Boat: CT-47

Intending to get one of these ... recessed curved heating element and the wok will not move (hopefully)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4556.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	149904

Round cut-out in the counter top and dropped in will keep it in place
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 22:16   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
Intending to get one of these ... recessed curved heating element and the wok will not move (hopefully)

Attachment 149904

Round cut-out in the counter top and dropped in will keep it in place
That's splendid! I used to use a wok a lot at home. Would be great on the boat. With the very significant additional advantage that it won't need to be gimballed!
Old 14-06-2017, 23:15   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
That's splendid! I used to use a wok a lot at home. Would be great on the boat. With the very significant additional advantage that it won't need to be gimballed!
My flat bottom carbon steel wok works great on my portable induction plate on the boat. It gets a lot hotter than it does sitting on the propane stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inductionwok.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	149937  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 23:53   #116

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
My flat bottom carbon steel wok works great on my portable induction plate on the boat. It gets a lot hotter than it does sitting on the propane stove.
Inspiring! Is plain carbon steel suitable for induction or do you need a special induction wok?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 15-06-2017, 02:30   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Inspiring! Is plain carbon steel suitable for induction or do you need a special induction wok?
Plain carbon steel. It's just an ordinary basic wok from a chinese shop. It only takes a few seconds for it to get smoking hot.
Old 15-06-2017, 07:35   #118

Boat: CT-47

Increadible how much faster the round bottom wok heats up on the curved induction plate comparing to the flat bottom pan.
Here in China these induction plates are really cheap and at USD 20 to 30 I don't mind keeping a spare.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 18:29   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
Increadible how much faster the round bottom wok heats up on the curved induction plate comparing to the flat bottom pan.
Here in China these induction plates are really cheap and at USD 20 to 30 I don't mind keeping a spare.
I wouldn't find that incredible

The induction effect varied with the cube (??) of the distance from the induction coil to the pan. A curved bottom on a curved plate and a flat bottom on a flat plate are both going to be far more effective than a curved bottom on a flat plate or vice versa.

The advantage of the flat plate is that you are not limited to just one specific shape of curved bottom cooking utensil.
Old 30-01-2018, 10:20   #120

Interesting to see a gimballed induction cooktop/eletric oven installed in this Hallberg-Rassy.
It's a Miele (german-made, very high quality) unit, not sure what model though.
I have induction at home. It's a pleasure to use -- clean, fast, and great in summer because it radiates far less heat than gas. In the confined space of a boat that's a real plus in summer.

https://youtu.be/msnCbP94VLY?t=4m36s
StefanS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat