Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 02:46   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Induction stoves for boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
. . .. My first choice would be to get gasoline off the boat but diesel outboards are hard to come by. *grin*
Amen to that! I hate gasoline almost as much as I hate propane. But gasoline has a huge advantage in that you can buy it almost anywhere you buy diesel fuel, and it is generic -- you don't need special bottles which are different in every single country you cruise through

Gasoline was a huge problem when I had the old dinghy with wonderful but gas-guzzling 25hp two stroke. Now one 20 liter canister lasts a whole season -- with the new light dinghy and 8hp four stroke.

Eventually I think we may go to electric dinghy propulsion also.

Quote:
I have looked at diesel and/or kerosene for cooking. Not too impressed with those fuels for cooking in warm climes. I can see the appeal of moving from three fuels to two.
. . .
We did too, and came to the same conclusion. I think despite the very serious safety issues, and supply hassles, propane is probably the best fuel if you don't have electrical capacity for induction.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:59   #77

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Auspicious
Hi Pelagic!

Quote:
My comments were specific to heavy weather conditions
Mine too.

Context is important. My clientale is 35' - 70' (mostly). I run with three crew and me. I don't stand a watch - as skipper I'm always on. I do the bulk of the cooking, all the nav, most or all of the piloting, and of course the weather.

I have a reputation for teaching skills and feeding people well.

Quote:
But when nasty, my philosophy is to be already prepared with self serve prepared meals..
And there we differ. When things are nasty more people moving around, more opportunities for accident and injury. The snack bag should/does support someone with the nibbles.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious
There is rarely time, on a delivery, to spend a day after provisioning doing more than minimal prep and advanced cooking.
This is where we differ on management.
I insist on a longer pre voyage period to prep all departments, do boat specific emergency drills and have the cook make and freeze the heavy weather meals before departure.
We may well serve different markets. My clientele get fussy about paying when the boat isn't moving. Sometimes I'll get someone that is having work done before departure who engages me for yacht management to supervise that work and importantly represent the owner signing off on completion. Then I have more time but heavy provisioning still waits until late so it isn't in the way of other work and the fresh goods are as fresh as possible.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious
Finally cooking from scratch results in less waste that has to be retained. Since I often end up sleeping with trash bags I try to keep that down.
This I believe is backwards! preparing a number of cooked and then frozen meals gets rid of the majority of waste materials BEFORE you leave the dock
Even under the latest MARPOL regs, for all the fresh goods (fruit, veg, roots like potatoes and onions) the waste goes over the side. There isn't any packaging. Packaging for proteins is pretty minimal and can be stacked in the trash for minimum space. Cooking ahead comes with more packaging - plastic containers, plastic vacuum or Ziploc bags, etc. Cans are the same with either approach - the new MARPOL regs and the migration of manufacturers to cans with only one rolled edge and plastic liners means more trash regardless.

I try to mitigate that through reuse but there are limits.

I sailed with Hank Schmitt of OPO (you have to sail with Hank to become an OPO Pro Skipper). His approach to provisioning is more like yours although he does his in the frozen food aisle rather than have a cook working before departure. *grin* LOTS of waste. On a later trip with Hank leaving Newport and I leaving Annapolis we met for a joint crew dinner in Roadtown. It was clear from the discussion that my crew was much happier with how they were fed than the other boat's crew. In fact the other boat was moving on to St Marteen and begged for our leftovers.

Quote:
Now it is Super yacht deliveries with 16+ crew....many in catering and hotel who shine with the Owners onboard but fail in a passage when the swell kicks up.
... and the sea time for those in catering and hotel counts towards licenses. *sigh* Paper captains. Different thread.

Feeding that many people is a real chore under any conditions. Some of my objections (particularly noise and disruption) don't apply on a boat with truly separate spaces. You're going to be less sensitive to trash with dedicated pantry space.

On the other hand I don't have to worry about H&S for "crew" who become passengers when conditions are rough.

Quote:
Sounds like you are a great cook and enjoy it....makes for a happy crew.... (Unless they are seasick
I do enjoy cooking. I am not a professional chef and shy away from the word "great" but I am good. As I noted I give a webinar called "A Delivery Skipper Cooks" that gets good reviews. More importantly I have content crew who are happy to sail with me again.

It helps to be a polymath. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:06   #78
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
I didn't see your comments... You wrote your response in a way that one cannot distinguish between the original and your contribution.

Hint: You can "split quotes"

You do this by adding quote tags:

This closes a quote.
And this opens a new one:

Thanks KVB, I am all thumbs doing that on my mobile[emoji12]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:22   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have seen a a few cruising yachts with a gimballed worktop attached to the stove, as in the picture below. I thought it was a good idea, although sadly it did not fit into the layout for our new yacht.
This works very well. You can cut down an oversized cutting board to just fit over the cooker grating. If the metal ring around the cooktop isn't high enough you can fit pegs to keep it in place. Once you're done prep you can move the board and everything on it to the counter with a damp tea towel or paper towel under to keep it from moving around.

Somewhat more difficult over a smooth top induction surface but nothing some creativity can't manage. Of course it doesn't help unless it is a gimballed smooth top induction surface. *grin*

Quote:
but a single induction hotplate may be usable occasionally to reduce propane use.
Again you'll want to apply some creativity so that the hotplate is attached to the gimballed cooker grating when in use but not so firmly that you can't remove it and stow it easily. You'll have to think about leads and fusing as well of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Amen to that! I hate gasoline almost as much as I hate propane. But gasoline has a huge advantage in that you can buy it almost anywhere you buy diesel fuel, and it is generic -- you don't need special bottles which are different in every single country you cruise through
My experience with propane has been less frustrating than yours. In the US the (stupid <- my opinion) OPD bottles still have the more or less standard left hand thread inside. That thread works throughout the Caribbean. Europe has a number of different standards but I've always been able to find someone to charge my bottles.

Propane is the most common cooking fuel in the world. There is always a way to find it. The trick is getting it into your bottle. *grin* Pulling the pigtail from your boat is a good bit of the solution. Carrying ship's documents along usually soothes the more bureaucratically minded purveyor of gas.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:39   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
. . . My experience with propane has been less frustrating than yours. In the US the (stupid <- my opinion) OPD bottles still have the more or less standard left hand thread inside. That thread works throughout the Caribbean. Europe has a number of different standards but I've always been able to find someone to charge my bottles.

Propane is the most common cooking fuel in the world. There is always a way to find it. The trick is getting it into your bottle. *grin* Pulling the pigtail from your boat is a good bit of the solution. Carrying ship's documents along usually soothes the more bureaucratically minded purveyor of gas.
I migrate 1500 nautical miles from the UK to Finland and 1500 miles back to the UK, every year, stopping in 10 countries. How many different bottles are there, in those 10 countries? I'm guessing maybe 7

I actually have a large set of gas fittings given to me by a friend, which would allow my UK and Finnish bottles to be filled practically anywhere. HOWEVER, it is forbidden to fill these kinds of bottles everywhere in Europe -- you are required to exchange them. In Sweden (of all places) this law is widely ignored and you can usually find some guy to cold-pour propane (or butane) into your non-Swedish bottles, so I sometimes "fill up" on the way in Sweden.

Gas has been a huge problem for us, as like you I believe that a ship travels on its belly, and we do a whole lot of cooking and even baking on board, sometimes with 5 or 6 hungry sailors on board. After four years of this cruising routine, we've kind of figured it out, though -- in addition to the two standard UK only 4.5kg butane bottles, we now have a Finnish/Estonian standard 6kg bottle with the special clip-on regulator. The two full UK bottles will now usually get us all the way to Finland, now that we use the hot plate when on shore power. There we get a full Finnish bottle, and if we remember to do it, exchange it for a full when when we leave Finland in August. If necessary, we get the UK butane bottles filled guerilla style in Sweden on the way back.

Always carry a spare solenoid, regulator, hose, and fittings, as you can count on one or another component carping out somewhere just in the most beautiful, remote spot on the cruise, just when you want to cook the most delicious dinner of the week.

Did I mention how much I hate gas????

Looking forward to induction-only and a gas-free boat, on my next boat.

And I think I will acquire an induction hot plate and pans this summer to replace the basic hot plate we have been using lately with terrific results.

One burner or two? That is the question. I'll be shopping.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:21   #81

Hmm. I've had good luck in Sweden and the UK. Perhaps because I'm an American and often on US-flagged boats people take pity on my stupidity (it's genetic attributed to negative longitudes) and help me find solutions.

Quote:
One burner or two? That is the question. I'll be shopping.
No one I have heard has complained about too much battery capacity, too much fuel, too much water, too much food, or too many burners.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:42   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmm. I've had good luck in Sweden and the UK. Perhaps because I'm an American and often on US-flagged boats people take pity on my stupidity (it's genetic attributed to negative longitudes) and help me find solutions.
My boat is UK flagged and has UK Calor bottles on it as standard, so I've never tried for a "guerilla fill" of gas bottles in the UK. I'm surprised you would find someone in the UK willing to do it, but it's great if it's possible.

In Sweden, as I wrote it is, bizarrely, possible seemingly everywhere. I try not to stand to close as they do the cold pour -- with gas spewing everywhere. Seems like an explosion waiting to happen . . .
Old 06-06-2017, 05:16   #83
CF Adviser

Quote:
My boat is UK flagged and has UK Calor bottles on it as standard, so I've never tried for a "guerilla fill" of gas bottles in the UK. I'm surprised you would find someone in the UK willing to do it, but it's great if it's possible.

In Sweden, as I wrote it is, bizarrely, possible seemingly everywhere. I try not to stand to close as they do the cold pour -- with gas spewing everywhere. Seems like an explosion waiting to happen . . .
For what its worth....I have one stainless and one galvanized propane tank (10lbs each) that came with the boat...properly stamped with fill ratings and certified I think from Oz.

Because they were custom made and still in spotless condition, I've never had a problem with local fill stations connecting to them if I supply a pigtail. They treat them like visiting tanks and get a kick out of the quality [emoji4]

I am keeping the tanks for the BBQ and as my SMEG stove top gas range still fits exactly in the same space as the new induction hob, I will keep it mothballed in case it is ever needed.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Gas has been a huge problem for us, as like you I believe that a ship travels on its belly, and we do a whole lot of cooking and even baking on board,
We have the same experience with propane. As well as different bottles in different countries (or even islands within a country) that Dockhead has mentioned, other problems include the difficulty of transporting the bottles. They are heavy to carry any distance. Taxis and public transport will often refuse to carry them.

Our solution is to have room for lots of different sized bottles, so local bottles will usually fit, and to carry plenty. In the ventilated gas lockers on our old boat we had 3x12Kg.

This large supply meant they did not need filling/replacing often and the job could be left until the planets aligned and there was an easy supply, especially when this coincided with hiring a car for some sightseeing. It is not much harder to fill three bottles rather than one.

Large, ventilated gas lockers were part of the specifications for our new boat. Our gas consumption should be less, as we will have enough solar to do a small amount of electric cooking in summer, and in winter a diesel cabin stove will be in use and this has a hotplate on top. Also, the oven is apparently very efficient.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:33   #85

Boat: Shopping

Quote:

If you can see them doing it, you're much too close.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:35   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontop View Post
If you can see them doing it, you're much too close.
That's what I eventually decided
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 06-06-2017, 06:49   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I dont know about boats and induction but I have had induction hobs at home for a while.

I went through about three before I discovered that you need a THICK bottom pan and a good hob.

At low temps, the cycling can be too hot unless your pan or pot can distribute heat evenly. My current hob is a Bosch.. (I think). Cooks quite well.

Just an observation for those about to take the leap.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17   #88

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
So we plan to purchase a portable unit. Any recommendations?
Some folks in this thread mentioned that their burners do low power by cycling from 100% to 0%, like a non-inverter microwave. Ours doesn't -- at the lowest power it draws a steady ~10-20 DC amps. I'd try to find one like that, since it seems easier on your inverter and batteries if it isn't flipping between sucking ~160 DC amps for a second or two and then nothing. I don't know if they care, but it would kind of bug me.

It cycles is when it is in a temperature hold mode.

Unfortunately I can't remember the brand of ours, and we are away from the boat. It's nothing special, we picked it up at a hardware store in St Maarten.

Quote:
Is it practical to use this attached to the top of the gimballed oven (obviously when propane is not in use) or is the extra height/weight a problem?
Ours works well on top of the gimballed stove. It has feet on the bottom, that hold it up above the counter, and these feet nicely grab into the metal grate on top of the stove and keep it from sliding. It doesn't appreciably affect the gimbaling because it weighs very little, about as much as a thin shell of plastic with some glass on top. I guess the pots are about 2" higher and that raises their center of gravity.

It doesn't work well with cheap pans. We paid like >$100/each for 'induction compatible' pots and pans that are somewhat thick. I like nice pans, anyways.

It's amazing with cast iron. It's like a welder, if we turn it on high the center of a cast iron pan will quickly glow red.

Someone earlier in the thread was scientific about the energy consumption. I'd like to add my experience that most of the time it doesn't consume a lot. Fried eggs in the morning take maybe 5 minutes at 50% power (~80 amps at 12 volts), so ~7 amp/h. It draws 10-20 amp/h every hour that it keeps a pot of chili or a pot roast simmering. It also doesn't heat up the galley as much as propane, or attract as many bugs (I don't know this for sure, but I suspect some bugs are attracted to either the smell of propane or the CO2 that burning it produces).

But we do have a genset and so don't closely watch our electricity consumption. It draws a ton for dishes that need high heat for a long time. We often use a pressure cooker, to be more efficient.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37   #89
CF Adviser

Quote:
.An induction oven would not serve as a replacement for a propane stove on our non generator equipped boat, but a single induction hotplate may be usable occasionally to reduce propane use. So we plan to purchase a portable unit... Any recommendations?
Perhaps worth reading this induction site on choosing countertop brands

http://theinductionsite.com/countertop-induction.php
Old 06-06-2017, 12:17   #90

Boat: shopping

I'm a major foodie and there is only one company I know of right now but for low energy consumption and can't miss cooking a marine Sous vide unit can not be beat. You can adapt a home unit with a cooler for most applications on a boat.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat