Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-11-2013, 20:19   #1

Boat: Valiant 40
HRO Sea-Recovery Watermakers (Parker-Hannifin)

HRO/ Sea Recovery Watermaker Update;
Further to the original posting we made July 23, 2012, this is an update regarding what has happened since.
The HRO/Sea Recovery Company, acquired by the Danish Company Danfoss, have unburdened themselves apparently. Sea Recovery is now owned by Parker Hannifin…. The ‘Racor’ brand filtration people; this according to Henrik Wendelboe in his October 6, 2013 email to me. Henrick Wendelboe is now Parker Hannifin’s boss for Sea Recovery it would seem. He also writes that two of the principle HRO/Sea Recovery people I mentioned in the last post, Mary Day and Chris Rollins, are no longer with Sea Recovery. Mr.Wendelboe admits that the customer service afforded to us by the defunct Sea Recovery staff needs future improvement…..
This “improvement”, so far, has not resulted in Sea Recovery making any remedies to us for the lost $ or the appalling treatment and dishonesty we had to endure during the fiasco.
At the end of the day we are still out the $11,000.00 for our system, the cost to reconfigure our boat to accommodate it (install costs), plus all the time spent trying to deal with these unscrupulous people. A real wipe-out!
I did point out to Mr. Wendelboe that his company’s failure to help us out has now cost his company far more than our original system ever did, in lost revenue from prospective customers.
They do not seem to care.
The one bright spot is that we have learned a lot more than what we previously knew about desalination and the industry.
I have tried to convey in this assessment of our Sea Recovery experience what one could expect from their products and support. I have since found out we are not alone in our experience with Sea Recovery. As one person wrote to sailnet.com: “Avoid Sea-Recovery like the plague”!!! (wish I’d seen this before-hand)

Our advise to anyone considering a purchase of a Watermaker for their boat is:
1. Avoid Parker Hannifin’s Sea-Recovery units. Not that these people are the same one’s that screwed us, but do you want to take the chance? The feeling I still get from these people (so far) is: ‘greed is good’….
2. Get an ‘Iron-clad’ support arrangement worked out with whomever you do choose.
3. Alternatively, build your own system: you will learn a lot doing it and save a bundle.
4. If you are not a ‘hands on’, mechanically oriented type, check out ECHO tec: ECHOTec Watermakers*-*Reverse Osmosis Desalination Systems

Old 17-11-2013, 06:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: HRO Sea-Recovery Watermakers (Parker-Hannifin)

I would add that people should avoid Parker Hannifin watermakers altogether. They also own Village Marine, and screwed that good company up big time. I won't go into our similar experience with Parker.

I think Parker is buying up watermaker companies to focus on commercial and military high-end and large units. They really don't seem to give a rat's rear about the small consumer stuff, and actually view us cruisers as short-term cash machines to fund their push into the commercial and military market.

ARRGGHH, I'm still pissed at them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2013, 06:46   #3

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

colemj,

How is your Cruise RO watermaker working? Which model did you get?
Old 17-11-2013, 06:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We got the 30gph model. Since we are currently in fresh water, I have not tested it yet. I have no reason to believe it won't work as advertised - it is common standard equipment plumbed in a standard way.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 12:47   #5

Boat: Leopard 42 Sailing Cat

I would agree 100% on the PH aspect of Sea Recovery. We bought a boat that came with a brand new Ultra Whisper 200 (less than 14 mnths old) and 4 mnths after buying the boat I started running it periodically to "test" it. Shortly after the proprietary pump system they used failed. Turns out it was a known issue with a valve used in the system which rusts and sends rust throughout the rest of the system! After going round and round with PH - during which they never owned up to the problem - and after they had already told me they would replace any faulty parts they came back saying that they'd actually sell me replacement parts at "steep discounts"...still cost me another $1,800 to get the system running after 4 MONTHS!! This BTW was a $15,000 system new!!

Now 6 mnths later and it's back to not making godo water again. I have yet to dig into it but my advise would be to RUN away from any PH/Sea Recovery product at this point. I cannot speak to their desire to move into the larger systems market but I can tell you they couldn't have cared less about my system or if it was working or not.
Old 21-05-2016, 14:28   #6

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrtucke View Post
RUN away from any (snip) Sea Recovery product
IMHO this is very good advice

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-05-2016, 16:41   #7

Boat: Switch 51

I've had a good experience with my Spectra unit and JT Halden is the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-06-2016, 15:30   #8

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
I would agree 100% on the PH aspect of Sea Recovery. We bought a boat that came with a brand new Ultra Whisper 200 (less than 14 mnths old) and 4 mnths after buying the boat I started running it periodically to "test" it. Shortly after the proprietary pump system they used failed. Turns out it was a known issue with a valve used in the system which rusts and sends rust throughout the rest of the system! After going round and round with PH - during which they never owned up to the problem - and after they had already told me they would replace any faulty parts they came back saying that they'd actually sell me replacement parts at "steep discounts"...still cost me another $1,800 to get the system running after 4 MONTHS!! This BTW was a $15,000 system new!!

Now 6 mnths later and it's back to not making godo water again. I have yet to dig into it but my advise would be to RUN away from any PH/Sea Recovery product at this point. I cannot speak to their desire to move into the larger systems market but I can tell you they couldn't have cared less about my system or if it was working or not.
Was that the Danfoss valve? We've replaced ours twice in a year now too. Grrr.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:52   #9

Admittedly I don't recall the specific "name" of the valve but I think it is the valve just prior to the "Energy Recovery Device" that is proprietary to them. They replaced the valve with a stainless valve - while NEVER acknowledging the problem - and then charged me for all other downstream parts that IMHO this had affected! It was infuriating! Why would they be willing to replace the part if it were NOT a known issue!! The main thing is that they had NO interest in backing up the product that cost $15K new less than two years before!! I would junk this POS and replace it if I had ANY way recovering some costs. However, in good conscience - karma is a bitch - I can't dump this POS on someone else knowing what I know.

Side note: Anyone out there want to buy a lightly used Sea Recovery POS with known issue and piss poor support? Offered at a deep discount of about $10,000!! Yeah, I didn't think so. : o)
Old 10-06-2016, 08:51   #10

Boat: Antares 44i

Yes, the valve just prior to the energy recovery device (originally a Danfoss for us) has been replaced on a few of the Parker/SeaRecover/UltraWhisper that I know of. The old part was accutally the wrong part from Danfoss as it was not for brine water and therefor rusted. We have had a rebuild of the ERD this year, as well. When run at least once a week: then the system seems to work wonderfully for us, it is during any multi-week period of mis-use that we have problems, and anytime the system is not to be used more than 2-3 weeks I think conditioning is a MUST. Also agree with the comments on the support: From what I have seen it appears the old CEO is acting as some sort of a customer support rep within the acquiring company with a GIANT chip on his shoulder. All other parts of our system have been working great so far (2 years and thousands of gallons). Just our experience.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06   #11

Yep...my "ERD" was orange throughout as well as the downstream filters and they claimed the damage was due to calcium. They asked that I ship the ERD back to them and after reviewing it claimed that I had "misused" it and allowed calcium to build up - due to a long period of non-use - which caused scoring inside the device and eventual failure/lockup...WHAT A KROCK!! When I asked what the "FWF" process was supposed to do they wouldn't answer the question. Then they offered me a "free upgrade" to the primary pump along with the other parts supposedly "at cost" as a gesture of good faith...then it turned out that they couldn't/didn't honor that as well. Of course this was after getting my money!! $1,800 to fix a unit that had a KNOWN ISSUE and was less than 2 YEARS OLD!!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:09   #12

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Ride View Post
Yes, the valve just prior to the energy recovery device (originally a Danfoss for us) has been replaced on a few of the Parker/SeaRecover/UltraWhisper that I know of. The old part was accutally the wrong part from Danfoss as it was not for brine water and therefor rusted. We have had a rebuild of the ERD this year, as well. When run at least once a week: then the system seems to work wonderfully for us, it is during any multi-week period of mis-use that we have problems, and anytime the system is not to be used more than 2-3 weeks I think conditioning is a MUST. Also agree with the comments on the support: From what I have seen it appears the old CEO is acting as some sort of a customer support rep within the acquiring company with a GIANT chip on his shoulder. All other parts of our system have been working great so far (2 years and thousands of gallons). Just our experience.

Is it the product manifold valve (the one that decides if the water can be diverted to you tank) before the ETD? or is the valve you talk about on the ETD itself? We've got a HRO and was wondering what to watch out for. I've got the manual right in front of me, but do not see anything else.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 10-06-2016, 09:36   #13

I would have to look more closely but I'm not on board. I am only familiar with the valve attached to the ERD upstream which is the valve we had trouble with. If yours is original get it replaced before it causes a TON of problems! If you're using it regularly that is probably saving you so keep it up but PH should replace that valve with a SS model if you call them out on the known issue. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2016, 21:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Is it the product manifold valve (the one that decides if the water can be diverted to you tank) before the ETD? or is the valve you talk about on the ETD itself? We've got a HRO and was wondering what to watch out for. I've got the manual right in front of me, but do not see anything else.

Thanks,

Matt
Perfect Ride is talking about the solenoid operated valve that "decides" whether fwed/seawater from the big electric Cat pump goes a) straight back to the sea (for a fraction of a minute upon startup to purge any air out) or b)into the "feed water" end of the ETD. That valve is attached to the ETD and gives lots of problems.

The valve that "decides" if product water goes to the tank (if good enough) or dumped to the sea (if not good enough) is a different valve. It does not run on a timer but on a TDS sensor. I have never seen it fail.

Old 10-06-2016, 21:08   #15

Quote:
Yep...my "ERD" was orange throughout as well as the downstream filters and they claimed the damage was due to calcium. They asked that I ship the ERD back to them and after reviewing it claimed that I had "misused" it and allowed calcium to build up - due to a long period of non-use - which caused scoring inside the device and eventual failure/lockup...WHAT A KROCK!! When I asked what the "FWF" process was supposed to do they wouldn't answer the question. Then they offered me a "free upgrade" to the primary pump along with the other parts supposedly "at cost" as a gesture of good faith...then it turned out that they couldn't/didn't honor that as well. Of course this was after getting my money!! $1,800 to fix a unit that had a KNOWN ISSUE and was less than 2 YEARS OLD!!
I have run controlled tests on several Sea Recovery Ultra Whisper systems and without exception the Fresh Water Flush did not work properly.

A common problem is that the solenoid valve does not close completely and therefore the Fresh Water does not Flush the ETD because it leaks out of the solenoid valve into the sea via the brine outlet tubing, withoutvgoing into the ETD, then membrane and then back into the other end of the ETD before goiing into the sea.

Tags
water, watermaker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: