Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 21:42   #16

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: HRO Sea-Recovery Watermakers (Parker-Hannifin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Perfect Ride is talking about the solenoid operated valve that "decides" whether fwed/seawater from the big electric Cat pump goes a) straight back to the sea (for a fraction of a minute upon startup to purge any air out) or b)into the "feed water" end of the ETD. That valve is attached to the ETD and gives lots of problems.

The valve that "decides" if product water goes to the tank (if good enough) or dumped to the sea (if not good enough) is a different valve. It does not run on a timer but on a TDS sensor. I have never seen it fail.

Sent from my SM-G9287 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Is it the "sliding distribution panel"... the assembly on top of the ETD? I've been through the owners manual, and I think that is what they are talking about. The exterior of mine is the same stainless as the ETD, but I'm guessing they are talking about the "special polymer" sliding control.

Ours HRO is currently sitting in a lazarette after being flushed a few times over a year ago. We're finishing our refit soon and was going to recommission the watermaker once we launch.... now i'm a bit nervous.
Matt
Old 11-06-2016, 04:29   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Is it the "sliding distribution panel"... the assembly on top of the ETD? I've been through the owners manual, and I think that is what they are talking about. The exterior of mine is the same stainless as the ETD, but I'm guessing they are talking about the "special polymer" sliding control.

Ours HRO is currently sitting in a lazarette after being flushed a few times over a year ago. We're finishing our refit soon and was going to recommission the watermaker once we launch.... now i'm a bit nervous.
Matt
There is more than one type of ETD. Can you post a photo and state the make, model and year of your unit?

svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:43   #18

Quote:
Perfect Ride is talking about the solenoid operated valve that "decides" whether fwed/seawater from the big electric Cat pump goes a) straight back to the sea (for a fraction of a minute upon startup to purge any air out) or b)into the "feed water" end of the ETD. That valve is attached to the ETD and gives lots of problems.
Yes: This valve should activate soon (many seconds) after the system starts with an audible click as the solenoid energizes. I have been able to disassemble and clean it to keep it operational once rusted, but replacement was inevitable to keep the system working.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:57   #19

Quote:
There is more than one type of ETD. Can you post a photo and state the make, model and year of your unit?

It's a HRO Seafari Escape 200gpd unit built in 2006 (I think). With Perfect Rides latest description, I realize it's a 12v powered solenoid valve... which is not on my unit.

Thank guys for the help explaining this to me.

Matt
Old 11-06-2016, 10:53   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It's a HRO Seafari Escape 200gpd unit built in 2006 (I think). With Perfect Rides latest description, I realize it's a 12v powered solenoid valve... which is not on my unit.

Thank guys for the help explaining this to me.

Matt
I bet your Seafari has a Spanish ETD shaped like a cylinder (as opposed to the Danfoss ETD shaped like a shoebox) like the earlier Sea Recovery Ultra Whisper systems. Don't let any "technician" fool you into replacing your ETD with the shoebox thing. Those Spanish ETDs can be repaired forever and the manufucturer (Eco-Sistems, based in Barcelona) has very good customer service including support for DIY.

svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:58   #21

Quote:
I bet your Seafari has a Spanish ETD shaped like a cylinder (as opposed to the Danfoss ETD shaped like a shoebox) like the earlier Sea Recovery Ultra Whisper systems. Don't let any "technician" fool you into replacing your ETD with the shoebox thing. Those Spanish ETDs can be repaired forever and the manufucturer (Eco-Sistems, based in Barcelona) has very good customer service including support for DIY.

Yes. It's a cylinder with another cylinder on top. I had no idea they changed the ETD over the years.... Thanks so much for taking the time to respond and educate this novice.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
water, watermaker