Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 20:42   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Hood Roller Furling Parts Prices ...

OK, I bit my tongue when they charged me $500 a set for bearings for our 3250 roller furlers about a year ago. This turned out to be absurd, since it's just about $20 in stainless bearings, $30 of torlon or delrin bearings, and some stamped stainless races. I didn't buy spiral rings for it, because they 1) were grossly over priced and 2) the old smaller ones seemed OK. Only once we actually GOT the bearings, did I realize how badly did we get ripped off.

I bought the large replacement spiral rings from Grainger, for less than $4 each. Turns out, the old small rings didn't survive the replacement process, so I needed to replace them. They aren't available from Granger. I ordered 2. They were a staggering $13 each. That wasn't bad enough. Then they charged me $11 to ship them. Total, over $37. They are the size of a half dollar, paper thin, and together, weigh a fraction of an ounce. Seriously, a bottle cap is 10X thicker than the 2 of them. I asked for USPS shipping (sorry, no), they shipped them in a 12"x8"x4" box. Absurd. They could have shipped them USPS First Class for $0.45. Nope.

Now, we are seriously looking to replace at least one of these. Funny thing is, Hood offers a 50% trade in credit on an old one. Guess what. No freakin' way we'd go back with a Hood unit. This goes for anything else from Pompanette: Hood, Bomar or Gray.

I have no problem with someone making money. I have a problem when a company takes extreme advantage of someone. Hood has done this.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 04:56   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Hood roller furling parts prices...

Geeesh Bill !,

I am surprised to hear that. Last year I needed parts for my SL915 bottom assembly.
Spoke to the lady in Ft Lauderdale, and had them in 3 days UPS, at what I thought, was a great price.
Old 22-02-2012, 05:16   #3

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I also have had great service from Marti in Tampa. I have a SL900 furler, and have replaced parts at very reasonable prices. She sent me parts to Rio Dulce, Guatemala last year. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 05:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Bill,

Are the bearings a Hood specific part? I was able to find new bearings for my windlass from an industrial supplier that are the identical parts used by S-L for about 25% of the cost.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Bill,

Are the bearings a Hood specific part? I was able to find new bearings for my windlass from an industrial supplier that are the identical parts used by S-L for about 25% of the cost.
That's EXACTLY what I did for the second furler (we are cutter rigged). I bought the delrin bearings directly from Harken, who were an absolute delight to work with. I think I paid about $30 for the bearings. Then I ordered the stainless ones from an online retailer - about $20 for WAY more than I'll ever need. So, that means that they charged me $450 for some stamped stainless bearing races. I used to be in the steel business. The incremental cost of those bearing races (after the first one is made) is about $0.25.

As I said, the added insult to injury was the $11 to ship what should have been $3 rings, that could have been sent in a letter size envelope.

It's the lack of care about the customer's dollars, and the disgusting markup on parts.
Old 22-02-2012, 08:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Bill,

No, what I found out is that the bearings themselves are easy to find, very inexpensive. The races, which do wear, are another story.
Old 22-02-2012, 20:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
No, what I found out is that the bearings themselves are easy to find, very inexpensive. The races, which do wear, are another story.
In my case I found the whole assembly, bearings, race and seals (the bearing supports the gypsy and is exposed to salt water so seals were needed). Have you tried that option? With the dimensions: ID, OD, depth, etc I called a bearing company. I have the name somewhere of the company I contacted. They seemed to have thousands of options.
Old 22-02-2012, 20:18   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
It's the lack of care about the customer's dollars, and the disgusting markup on parts.
On of my pet peeves. There are brands and companies I will not deal with because they rip you off so badly on the parts. Guess they think that once you have their equipment you are stuck with buying their parts and will pay whatever it takes. I will if I have to but it's the last time they do business with me.
Old 22-02-2012, 20:50   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Almost all bearings no matter where or what they are installed in can be found or orderd from most any large Bearing and transmission dealer. All bearings are metric dimentions, so mike them or have the bearing dealer do that for ya and you will be suprised!! you probley find the SS cover there also and they will have or can order any seal you might need !! I always fix boat stuff that way ! I just can't stand for someone to change a bearing or seal number, put it in there own packageing and charge sometime 200 % lncrese or more !some marine companys are worse then loan sharks LOL Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
!some marine companys are worse then loan sharks
Considering the attitude of some marine companies I think you are insulting the loan sharks.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:33   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Almost all bearings no matter where or what they are installed in can be found or orderd from most any large Bearing and transmission dealer. All bearings are metric dimentions, so mike them or have the bearing dealer do that for ya and you will be suprised!! you probley find the SS cover there also and they will have or can order any seal you might need !! I always fix boat stuff that way ! I just can't stand for someone to change a bearing or seal number, put it in there own packageing and charge sometime 200 % lncrese or more !some marine companys are worse then loan sharks LOL Just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
Our old neighbor is in the industrial supply business - including bearings. He said "you can buy the bearings online, but those stamped races are not standard".

People generally don't believe this, but that's why we've driven MB automobiles for years (I don't buy them new). Until recently, the parts were a fraction of all other brands. They've come up quite a bit, but still less than just about any other brand out there.
Old 25-01-2021, 10:33   #12

Re: Hood Roller Furling Parts Prices ...

Hi I have a complete hood roller furling unit from my swan 42 that had to be replaced because two of the aluminium profiles are broken but the rest works. I want to sell it to someone who need it for parts. Is anybody interested.
esbenbrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:12   #13

Boat: Catalina 25
Re: Hood Roller Furling Parts Prices ...

Is this furler still available? What is the foil diameter? I am looking for parts for a Seafurl 700 (1.25" foil diameter). Thank you.

Roger
Roger Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood, parts, roller furling