Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2009, 07:31   #1

Holland Marine, Green Cove Springs, FL

Hi All,

We are looking for a yard in NE Florida to take our new (old) sailboat for some extensive/expensive work. We found small boat yard, Holland Marine on the St Johns River but are hesitant to commit to such a project at a facility we know nothing about.

The work involves mainly fiberglass repairs on the hull and deck. Most but not all of the work will be more cosmetic that structural but will add up to a few thousand dollars.

Would appreciate hearing anyones experience with the yard and this type of work or any recommendations or information about the yard in general.
Laymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 14:07   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
We've had our mast stepped/unstepped there. We were favorably impressed with their attitude and what we saw of their expertise on other projects. We plan on hauling there next year and having a good bit of work done.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 16:52   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had just the opposite experience with Holland. I live on my boat within a stone's throw away. I asked for a price of an in boom furling. Within a month I had to approach them 3 times. They acted as though I wasn't worth the trouble, and bad mouthed a facility that pointed me to them. Holland is my neighbor, and if that's the way you treat a nieghbor.....well what else can I type?.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 05:14   #4

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser
You may want to try Sadler Point Marina on the Ortega River. I have not had any work do by them personally, but others I have talked to have been happy. We are currently docked at the marina net to them.

We had some extensive fiberglass work (hull extension) performed by St Augustine Marine and I am very happy with their work.

Barry
s/v Beach Cruiser
Beach Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 17:30   #5

Smile

Sorry for the slow response but thanks so much for everyone's input!!
Laymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 18:32   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I had some transmission work, cutlass bearing, bottom paint, and through hulls done by them a few months ago. No complaints. Tommy Holland was very good about contacting me concerning the issues and fixes.

There was one post here a couple months ago from someone who said they were not happy.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:45   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

anyone else had work done at Holland Marine? i am looking to get the mast pulled to do new wiring and lights and standing rigging in the Jacksonville area. also i am concerned about my existing roller furling system and whether it might be difficult to remove and re-install? i can have the mast pulled at Sadler (more convenient than Green Cove Springs) but then would have to do the work myself .. not totally sure about signing on for that but have been told it ain't that tough. this being a 20 year old isomat spar might also play into the equation. suggestions? recommendations? warnings? thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 11:44   #8

Re: Holland Marine, Green Cove Springs, FL

Had extensive rigging work at Holland Marine in Jan 2010 and was totally happy with all aspects of the job; price, quality, timeliness and followup. The staff is competent and friendly. Will return there for future work when possible.
Old 02-04-2011, 16:17   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
anyone else had work done at Holland Marine? i am looking to get the mast pulled to do new wiring and lights and standing rigging in the Jacksonville area. also i am concerned about my existing roller furling system and whether it might be difficult to remove and re-install? i can have the mast pulled at Sadler (more convenient than Green Cove Springs) but then would have to do the work myself .. not totally sure about signing on for that but have been told it ain't that tough. this being a 20 year old isomat spar might also play into the equation. suggestions? recommendations? warnings? thanks
I second the recommendation to check with Sadler's Point. I currently have a clients boat there because Holland's would not let outsiders into their yard to perform any work. I carry all the licenses , insurance, etc... , so I have no problems with access to any other yard in the area. They lost out on a $1,300 job as a result .They even accosted me on the dock while I was working in the marina next to where they lease another service facility in Jacksonville/Orange Park. Brooks , the owner of Sadler's Point , is a pleasant person to do business with, and I will be bringing future clients to his yard. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions with what you are doing with your mast. I used Isomat Spars on quite a number of trimarans that I built back in the 80's and 90's , Scott
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 19:50   #10

Boat: Hans Christian, Telstar, 43

I would say you can't find a better yard in the Jacksonville area. We looked for more than a month to find a decent, reputable yard for our Hans Christian 43 foot cutter. We lived at Sadler Point and Ortega Yacht Club for several months and got bids from numerous yards. We made the choice to go to Holland Marine because of the staff and work we had done over several months. We had the bottom redone, the mast overhauled and refitted, a generator installed and numerous other upgrades. As a previous author pointed out Tom Holland kept us informed and counseled us on many upgrades. Can't say enough good about Tom and his crews experience and work ethic.
Artful water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 04:33   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Artful water.
Thanks for sharing.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holland, marine