Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2012, 15:31   #16

Re: Holding Tank Blockage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
I would avoid discarding any and all toilet paper in a marine toilet, even tissue designed for it. Here is the reason: In order for the tissue to properly degrade, there needs to be an adequate amount of moisture. Sometimes, there simply isn't enough moisture (liquid to solid ratio) in the holding tank or sanitary lines to properly break it down. I have seen others have this problem numerous times, and "fixing" it is not fun.

I have a box of ziplock bags with me when we cruise. All toilet tissue gets placed in it and it is discarded in the trash. I have been able to avoid all obstructions since I began doing this.
IF there isn't enough liquid in your tank you ain't pumping enough flush water. How do the solids get down the pipe to the tank if not for water carrying them there?

When I pump our LAvac I can here the liquid surge down the pipe as it enters the holding tank if I have my head in the engine compartment. ALL smooth wall piping and a REAL pump from hell...It'll flush a tennis shoe. The average head pump is a joke..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 16:02   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Above are all the reasons I still like my Proper Bucket !! Never plugs, never have to bag anything !! Just so simple, but if ya have a Lady aboard ya just can't get away with a bucket for very long !! Connie proved that to me LOL like Zee,We now bag, and dispose properly !! " But I still prefer my Bucket LOL"
Old 23-05-2012, 16:29   #18

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
It's interesting that some people have no trouble with toilet discharge clogs and others go to the extreme of bagging their used TP. I wonder if the difference is the length of the discharge hose? I don't have trouble with blockages but it is a short down hill run to my tank from the toilet. How about it Baggers, is your discharge hose longer than four or five feet? I would also like to say to you Ewwwww! But I guess it beats cleaning out the hose.
My hose from head to tank is over 10 feet, no problems with TP after 10 years.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 00:39   #19

Boat: Beneteau 411 celebration- 41'7"

The pipe run is only a couple of feet and the tank piping is the smooth walled type. I will start rinsing out the tanks with fresh water and chemicals to see if that helps.
Sacrebleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 02:45   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacreblue View Post
The pipe run is only a couple of feet and the tank piping is the smooth walled type. I will start rinsing out the tanks with fresh water and chemicals to see if that helps.
We have tried all sorts of TP and I think we are currently using M&S posh stuff with printing on it. Doesn't seem to matter if there is sufficient water, the Jabsco does quite a good job of chopping it up provided it is used sparingly. The one blockage we did have was probably due to a wet wipe going down the loo catching on the concretion that had built up in the pipe. 5.5m of pipe and a day later everything was back to normal and harmony restored.

Pipe isn't expensive especially if you only have short runs, I would be tempted to change it now at your convenience rather than in the middle of a holiday later on.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:24   #21

Thanks to the PO, my setup is crappy--but it works. Jabsco manual pump, with a tall holding tank in a hanging locker across the boat from the head. So the hose (smooth), runs forward under the V-berth, crosses to the other side of the boat, and then up at least 4 feet to the top of the holding tank. This is about 9-foot run. The discharge hose makes the same run in reverse, beginning with a 4-foot climb from the bottom of the tank to the top, then down, across the boat, through the pump and out the thru-hull.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank