Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-11-2012, 11:28   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: High Gain Wifi Antenna's

Right now, I'm using a T-moble 4G stick with a 15 ft. USB extension cable. I pay $50 a month for the service and have been relatively happy not having to drive to an Internet cafe in the rain. I am about 300 ft to the Parking lot where I can pick up a 2 out of 5 bar signal. I am also 700 ft from the street where there are 3/5 signals. On the boat only 3 stations come in. All at 1 bar and only one of them is unsecured. And of course it is too weak to work. I like the bullet idea at Island time PC and am hoping it could possibly pull in 10 stations, of which 3 might be unsecured and over 2 bars. Am I being realistic?
P.S. This has been a very informative thread

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 13:21   #32

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Right now, I'm using a T-moble 4G stick with a 15 ft. USB extension cable. I pay $50 a month for the service and have been relatively happy not having to drive to an Internet cafe in the rain. I am about 300 ft to the Parking lot where I can pick up a 2 out of 5 bar signal. I am also 700 ft from the street where there are 3/5 signals. On the boat only 3 stations come in. All at 1 bar and only one of them is unsecured. And of course it is too weak to work. I like the bullet idea at Island time PC and am hoping it could possibly pull in 10 stations, of which 3 might be unsecured and over 2 bars. Am I being realistic?
P.S. This has been a very informative thread
The weak one should be a lot better. Anything other than that is a crap shoot. I could see 25-30 servers at Marathon but could only connect to 1-2 because the others were secure. On the Gulf side I only saw 3-4 but could connect to 2. Even though the 25-30 at Boot Key Harbor on the other side of the key were withing a couple miles I couldn't see them because of all the obstructions on the Key itself.

I've gotten reliable connections in the 2 to 4 1/2 mile range, but that was across water with the server probably right at the waters edge. If you are trying to reach back inland from the waters edge it will be harder,

Sum

Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 14:28   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Once again, based on reports from several users and not personal experience, most people seem to agree with Sumner's experience. 10 mile range is optimistic, for most the best they have seen was maybe 5-6 miles max under perfect conditions. Usually 1-2 miles more likely.

Another thing to consider, our company looked into security issues for wifi connections and from what they learned decided to prohibit using public wifi (hotels, internet cafe's, coffee shops, etc) to send any sensitive documents. Apparently a cell phone internet link is much more secure. So if you're doing any banking or online shopping be very careful using a wifi link.
Old 14-11-2012, 14:41   #34
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Do you think the increased voltage is a help with transmit power? I have found that it is not YOUR transmit power, but the transmit power of the wifi you are attempting to connect to, that is most often the limiting issue.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
N

One thing we did do was spend about $40...

...on the POE injector above....

The wireless stocking distributor that offers free technical support before, during, and after the sale.

...that injects 18 volts in the line to the radio from any 9-36 volt source. You can also use cheaper injectors that just inject whatever voltage is available from you batteries/charging source. That is what most people do or hard-wire the voltage into the cable.

Sum
Old 14-11-2012, 14:45   #35
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Ubiquiti has come out with a new bullet product that I bought, called a Bullet Titanium. It has a metal shielded case, which is nice, but the real improvement is that it has a true, waterproof gland on the bottom of the unit. That, coupled with some waterproof tape (stretchy silicon stuff) acount the type N connector between the radio and the antenna, and you have a true waterproof solution.

They are about $120 online.

Chris
Old 14-11-2012, 15:48   #36

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Once again, based on reports from several users and not personal experience, most people seem to agree with Sumner's experience. 10 mile range is optimistic, for most the best they have seen was maybe 5-6 miles max under perfect conditions. Usually 1-2 miles more likely.

Another thing to consider, our company looked into security issues for wifi connections and from what they learned decided to prohibit using public wifi (hotels, internet cafe's, coffee shops, etc) to send any sensitive documents. Apparently a cell phone internet link is much more secure. So if you're doing any banking or online shopping be very careful using a wifi link.
If I could get a mile, I'd be stoked. As far as sensitive info, I would probably use an Internet cafe.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 16:26   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
As far as sensitive info, I would probably use an Internet cafe.
Be careful with that as well. Though the cafes are usually hard wired so your data isn't broadcast, scammers can install key stroke logging software on public computers that will track everything you type. If you're bringing your own laptop to plug into their system with an ethernet cable you are probably safer.
Old 14-11-2012, 17:53   #38

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
....Another thing to consider, our company looked into security issues for wifi connections and from what they learned decided to prohibit using public wifi (hotels, internet cafe's, coffee shops, etc) to send any sensitive documents. Apparently a cell phone internet link is much more secure. So if you're doing any banking or online shopping be very careful using a wifi link.
Yep we never go to our bank info on any connection other than at home or tethered to wifi on the phone on a trip. That includes motels, cafes, or any public place and we don't have any sensitive info on the boat's computer or Ruth's laptop.

We use Net10 cell phones when we are home and away from home, but also have a $45/month plan with Virgin Mobil for WiFi on the road and boat. We can't use it at home as it works on Sprint towers and there are none at home. Seems to work everywhere else and has unlimited Internet, but I think they slow you down after 3 gigs. To avoid that we use the long distance WiFi when ever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Do you think the increased voltage is a help with transmit power? I have found that it is not YOUR transmit power, but the transmit power of the wifi you are attempting to connect to, that is most often the limiting issue. Chris
I think it is more the other way around as if I can see them with the Bullet but can't connect then I think they can't hear me. But you also have to be careful that you don't over-power a nearby connection. The Bullet software easily lets you reduce transmission power but we usually have it all the way up as we are hardly ever near a connect point.

Can I say if the ....

....DC/DC POE that inputs 18 volts to the radio helps? Not really as I haven't tried it with the 12 volts and the 18 volts under similar conditions. I believe that the operating range of the Bullet is 10V to 24V and felt giving it a higher voltage than 12 might possibly make it a little more efficient but I have no idea if that is correct or not. I needed to use a POE anyway and didn't mind the added expense that much and if the engine is starting or something else happening that pull the voltage under 10 volts the POE will still give it 18. The majority of installs I've seen don't use the higher voltage POE,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 22:58   #39

This post was a while ago But this is good info. You can configure newer computers as A Hotspot. You eliminate a router but can still access the Internet.

Tags
antenna

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: