Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2009, 09:01   #1

Boat: Conser 47 Shearwater
Helm Pilot Advice

I presently have a B&G autopilot system on my 47 ft catamaran...it has had problems, enough of them, to reduce my trust in it. I will be crossing the Pacific in March/April and would like to install a completely independant helm pilot.....one affixed to the helm itself.

My boat has dual helms and hydraulic steering.

I have heard that there are a few good helm pilots out there but that for the most part, they are weak.

Any advice on this? Is there a manufacturer that you would recommend?

I would use it only as an emergency back up to the B&G.

Many thanks
david
dpollitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:33   #2

Boat: Boatless
My Raymarince control head and hydraulic pump have served me well for 2 years, thousands of miles and through a F8 and a F9 gale.

You must balance the sails properly to minimise the work of the autopilot and the power draw.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:50   #3

Boat: Tartan T4400
B&G is one of te better auto pilots. Is it sized correctly, are the setting correct? I adjust my sensitivity for the differnt wind and sea conditions. Not sure if I should say this but over on Sailing anarchy in the gear forum Bob C and one other person is very helpful on B&G instruments.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 11:32   #4

Hello Phil
Maybe Im not understanding.....but Im talking about a direct to helm pilot that is totally independant of the on board system I have ....it sounds like the raymarine is a complete pilot similar to the one I have?

thanks
david
Old 13-12-2009, 11:37   #5

Hello Gudgeon
Interesting....I seem to have three sensitivity settings....Im not on my boat right now but if I remember rightly....."normal" 'economical' and 'downwind" Are those the sensitivity settings you have?

The problems on mine have been a combination of lack of upkeep by the former owners and no routine maintenance....now that i have changed the rudder sensor, changed the brushes in the motor for the pump and filled the hydraulic fluid (was very low) it has worked for a few days without "faulting'. I still dont trust the thing.....so am looking for a back up system.

many thanks for any insights.
david
Old 13-12-2009, 13:31   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I like my Raymarine with two caviates - 10 the motor for the hydraulic pump carbons up from the brushes after a couple thousand miles and needs to be blown out by removing the brushes and using compressed air to clean the stator. 2) the hydraulic cylinder is difficult to buy - mine is currently on its last legs and its seals are leaking. I carry spares of the entire drive unit but not the computer.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 16:02   #7

I going to assume mine is newer than yours I have numbers for mine can't remember if it 1-10 or 1-100. I did oversize minw when we put it on 3 ears ago. Do you have the manual so you can look up the fault.
Old 14-12-2009, 08:38   #8

Gudgeon
Do you have a B&G autopilot? And, And when you ask 'is it s ized correctly' what do you mean?

And do you have any recommendations for a pilot,as a backup, that attaches directly to the wheel.....I have a feeling my B&G is now ok....but want some sort of back up.

many thanks
david
Old 15-12-2009, 09:05   #9

Im hearing good things about a CPT autopilot that attaches to the helm directly. Has anyone any thoughts on this unit.

Many thanks
Old 15-12-2009, 09:17   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpollitt View Post
Gudgeon
Do you have a B&G autopilot? And, And when you ask 'is it s ized correctly' what do you mean?

And do you have any recommendations for a pilot,as a backup, that attaches directly to the wheel.....I have a feeling my B&G is now ok....but want some sort of back up.

many thanks
david
Dave Yes I have a B&G pilot sizing the ram and pump should be large enough to handle the loads on your boat. I do not have an reccomendations. I have a ram and back up pump for mine.
Old 16-12-2009, 14:44   #11

pump and ram

Gudgeon
Just a clarification....for your B&G system...you have a back up pump and ram only?

And, am I correct in assuming that in a hydraulic system it will be the ram that develops leaks and may need attention? Where else in such a system do problems develop?

thanks
david