Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which manual head would you choose?
Raritan ph II 16 53.33%
Jabsco 14 46.67%
Aqua T 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 10:34   #1

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria
Heads (Manual): Raritan, Jabsco, or Aqua T?

Hi all,

We need to replace our Raritan head and are wondering if anyone has experience with alternative models. We serviced the pump on our old PH II but apparently the pump is an older model and the service kit doesn't work on it. So now it sprays water at you (albeit clean saltwater) whenever you pump.

A replacement pump for a Raritan PHII toilet costs $219.00. Raritan ph II new is $399 – seems expensive compared to other units.

Jabsco makes a compact one at $214 which is reasonable and the full size one is $276. The Aqua T toilet is $172 from Defender. So for this price, instead of a replacement pump, we can have a new head.

Are these heads that much less reliable than Raritan to warrant the price differential? Are they lower quality? Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 12:08   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
or change to a lavac at $440 + pump.

Newer Jabsco's are made down to a price, and do not have the quality of their earlier generation, particularly the Par Brydon from which it derives. They are fine for occassional weekend use, but for serious use you need a more robust system, and the lavac has very little that can go wrong!
Old 30-08-2009, 12:19   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
We have an RM69 manual. We get approx 2 years between replacing parts. Apparently, Jabsco parts easier to get.

The Lavac looks great on paper but have never been on a boat with one. This would be my choice if I knew how good/bad their are.

Anybody?
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 15:27   #4

we have a Lavac and love it basicly nothing to break
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 17:34   #5

Boat: Dufour 36 Classic kamahele
Jabsco has improved

I used to hate our cheap Jabsco, every year I had to replace the joker valve and even with the whole service kit would get stuff backing up into the bowl after a few uses. THIS year I bought the new locking handle --$99! IT has made us feel civilized enough to invite company again.
k2kamahele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 19:28   #6

Boat: csy 37
i'm not sure where you're located, but...

in fort lauderdale raritan has a sales/parts facility. they also sell 'seconds'. i bought a raritan phII there a couple of years ago for half price. it was a factory second. i asked the clerk what was wrong with it and she pointed to some scratches in the porcelain. i've had that phII four years now and still works great.

and yes, there is an 'older' model and a 'newer' model and they have different repair kits.

i've never seen a lavac in operation but users that write about them seem to like them. the key part of the lavac is the rubber seal (i think there are actually two of them) and i've read that users recommend carrying spares if off cruising.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 01:47   #7

Locking handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2kamahele View Post
I used to hate our cheap Jabsco, every year I had to replace the joker valve and even with the whole service kit would get stuff backing up into the bowl after a few uses. THIS year I bought the new locking handle --$99! IT has made us feel civilized enough to invite company again.
Thanks! Was it difficult to retrofit the new handle and does the handle replace the whole pumping unit or just the handle portion?
Old 31-08-2009, 02:12   #8

Thanks to everyone for their quick and very much appreciated responses.

I should have mentioned that this is the secondary head on the vessel. We normally cruise double handed and have a fairly bulletproof older full size "toilet" in our aft quarters. The forward head is for crew and passengers when they come along for short stints - so on the one hand, it could take more punishment from novice guests but on the other hand it would get less use. Not sure this makes any difference.
Old 31-08-2009, 02:14   #9

Lavac

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
we have a Lavac and love it basicly nothing to break
Thanks. I looked up the Lavac and there is a thread that makes it sound like a bear to install. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tall-9489.html Did you have these kinds of issues?
Old 31-08-2009, 05:47   #10

Boat: Dufour 36 Classic kamahele
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingKitty View Post
Thanks! Was it difficult to retrofit the new handle and does the handle replace the whole pumping unit or just the handle portion?
The installation was a breeze...it replaced the whole pumping unit, and fastened in with like, 4 screws. The new Jabscos I think come with the locking handle, and the footprint is the same. I would think also pretty easy to install.
k2kamahele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 07:13   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Lavac..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 19:16   #12

Boat: islandpacket
The Raritan PHII toilet also comes in a larger size, still small compared to a house but larger than most. You can also just buy the Raritan PHII toilet base and use the old bowl. Saves on shipping. I got the Raritan PHII toilet house hold size bowl. I really like it.
Old 31-08-2009, 21:03   #13

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

If I were going to install another convintional head it would be a Lavac.

That said, I am tired of dealing with all the vlaves, hose, pupouts and other problems.

Have you considered a composting head?

I am going with this one;

Nature's Head - Eco-Friendly Waterless Composting Toilets for Marine and RV use.

s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 21:41   #14

installing the Lavac wasn't to bad I plumbed with Y valves so everything runs through the henderson pump,toilet to overboard,toilet to holding tank, holding tank to overboard. It works with no problems. I did have to through bolt the pump, using screws it wanted to pull out
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 14:34   #15

Boat: Beneteau 46.1
I replaced two older Raritan PH II's with new ones of the same model, so that it would match all the old bolt-down holes, etc. Raritan told me it was "basically identical". What that actually meant is that they moved the discharge outlet fitting by about 4". Just enough that I had to cut a new 1.5" hole for the sanitary hose, and patch the old one. <sigh>

I also do not like the coupling on the discharge fitting. It has only two bolt holes 180deg apart, but really needs 4 bolts 90deg apart. The slightest misalignment and it leaks. Had to put 1.5" clamps on the plastic collar above and below. Had to do this on both heads, both of which were 'virtually' 100% correctly aligned. It doesn't take even the slightest flex pressure to leak.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, jabsco, raritan, toilet