Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2013, 03:43   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I find the build quality of the Princeton Tec stuff to be very good. Neither my Petzl or Black Diamond are nearly as robust.. The Energizer I find is on par, build wise, to my Petzl and BD but not my Princeton Tec. Problem is my PT does not do red and has a back of the head batt pack I find uncomfortable.
I have about a dozen different models, but actually use Princeton Tec Remix lamps. They do have red lights, and are small 'all in one' units (not seperate back battery packs).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 04:44   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
I have about a dozen different models, but actually use Princeton Tec Remix lamps. They do have red lights, and are small 'all in one' units (not seperate back battery packs).
My PT was specifically purchased for winter mountaineering. This is why it has the large back of the head triple AA battery pack that I fill with Li batteries. Great robust head lamp just not well suited for the boat. But, I did not buy it for the boat.. As I mentioned PT has a broad line up and other models I am sure are much better suited to boat use. I think they build one of the most robust mid priced head lamps out there.. For what I do every day, and the abuse my lamps take, a mid to high priced head lamp makes little sense. The Energizers fit the bill for that and represent a tremendous value... If I wreck one, I don't care, because a replacement is only $19.00....

I think I will check out the PT Remix!

Regardless, compared to 15 years ago, we are in 7th heaven for headlamps. Even the least expensive LED head lamps blow away the best of the incandescent head lamps from just 15 years ago..

I have a pile of the top end Petzl's with the chest pack, to keep the battery warm in winter. They used that silly flat 4.5V Duracell that was very hard to find. In one three day weekend of winter mountaineering I could chew through 3 of those Duracell packs at a cost of about $12.00 each!!!!! Today I can't even get those batteries so those old, expensive, Petzl's are technically antique junk..........

Today, with LED and three AAA's, I can go an entire three day weekend and still have many hours left over after the trip.... Costs me about $3.00 in Li batteries for LED vs. $36.00 for incandescent....

Saw you out there this summer...
Old 14-12-2013, 07:54   #33

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I have gone through more lights and headlamps than I can count. I have finally settled on a rule - If it's not made by Pelican, it doesn't come on the boat. Okay, I have a few exceptions like the Crew Lite I bought from Sailor's Solutions at the Annapolis Boat Show, but not many. Pelican lights have never let me down.

Their headlamp is as robust as they come. Everyone has their own preferences, and I was a little surprised that the Pelican brand did not come up in this discussion.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 08:23   #34

Right now I'm using Black Diamond; great light! Hi lumen spot, good diffuse setting, adjustable strength beams, red light and somewhat water resistant
(survived a drop in the river while fishing). There's some great sites that review headlamps and flashlights. Best flashlight I own? Surefire!
mikecin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 08:54   #35

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

I personally love my Petzl Tactikka Plus. It has a flip down red filter so their is no need to mess with extra buttons. Small, bright, and the batteries last. Been going strong for about 5 years now.
Old 14-12-2013, 09:00   #36

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I love my Petzl led. But I use a lot of Pelican lights at work because they offer some intrinsically safe models. When you make hydrogen out of natural gas, then compress the hell out of it for a living, you come to appreciate non sparking equipment. Propane stoves don't worry me that much.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 10:35   #37

My theory on headlamps have changed through the years because i still have a handful of overpriced headlamps that have been outdated in one way are another, battery's bulbs, bands that breakdown, to heavy fall off,too bright etc etc! My current theory, cheap, 1 cell, lightweight, led, my current favorite has a battery the size of a coin,made waterproof with a little dielectric grease and the intensity knocked back with some tape and I will not have to save it for years due to gilt of spending so much $$$
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 19:22   #38

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

I have a Fenix HL30 that has been hiking, biking and kayaking with me for about a year. Use it around the apartment a lot instead of house lighting as well as for work daily. It has 4 output levels plus a red emitter. Batteries last long enough that I only carry one extra set in my tool bag and get a solid week's worth of light out of them.

It has been doused, dunked, rained upon with no adverse effect at all. The unit has proven to be well beyond water resistant for me, but YMMV. The strap has held up well and has not lost its elasticity after a year.
klmmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 19:59   #39

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

I like a petzl zipka.

It is small, has a rubber seal, and has several modes.

Tags
head